Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Triple Crown #3: Team Chaos (Ninja / Ranger / Geomancer / Mystic Knight)

I am really burning out on this poo poo, only finished my third run after about a month of procrastination despite having some beastly team synergy. I really need to try for a few more. Right now I'm trying to decide on going for a Random run or trying Popular again. Maybe give Upgrade a try, I never did go for that last year.

EDIT: Decided to go as wacky as possible, so it's time for Upgrade Pure Chaos! First job is Thief!

...I think I'm in for some early grinding.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Decision time! I'm level 19, everyone just under 200 ABP away from mastering Thief, and up next is the Library of Ancients. Do I:
A: Try and do the Library at my current level and pray for a minimum of fuckery from that rear end in a top hat Byblos
B: Grind up everyone to master Thief and hope I get a better job from my Water #Upgrade (and if this, where to grind for ABP? The Walse Tower and Karnak escape encounters were giving out decent amounts but obviously both of those are out now)

As an aside, the reason I want to master Thief is because I'm on Pure Chaos and thus might get Freelancer or Mime, otherwise I would've Upgraded the instant I got !Mug on everyone.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

Thief is not a great job for Library, but upgrading risks handing you Bard or Berserker, the two jobs who have it worse. So... hard to say.

Both true, but Bard only takes 175 ABP to master and Berserker has nothing I want (I COULD master it to pass on their massive physical stats to the hypothetical Freelancer, but grinding up 500 ABP to do it? Screw that!), so if I do get one of them for Water, I could try and count on the Fire job instead.

EDIT: Decided to go with the "Master Thief then Upgrade" route. Water job is Ranger, which is a repeat job and not a LOT better than Thief (sure, I've got !Animals for Nightingale, but it's still too random to be entirely reliable), but Rapid-Fire will still be a decent prize (unless my Earth job is a mage job or something).

And by sheer happy coincidence (which is a nice change of pace, my luck is usually pretty terrible), I defeated LiquidFlame in tornado form so I have the Flame Bow it drops, which will help somewhat against that jerk Byblos.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 5, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Archenteron posted:

:eng101: three sandals, the fourth is free in the Void Castle.

This also applies to Coral rings if you need those (#4 is in the cavern area)

Honestly depends on whether or not you need to buy anything else. If you've got the cash might as well pick up that 4th set of Sandals early.

And Coral Rings are honestly only necessary for Leviathan (who is optional), Twintania (if you've got a heavily physical team), and Shinryu (if you don't have a way to Berserk him or get around his opening Wave with !Jump or !Hide), so with some teams you may not need them at all.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Man, this Thief->Ranger upgrade set has paid off GREAT for me so far! World 2 has been a breeze at every point thanks to elemental bows, Dark Bow blinding, Killer Bow instant kills, stolen Hayate Bow damage, and my personal favorite, stolen Flame Rings from Red Dragons in the Barrier Tower treasure chests turning the dragon rooms in Exdeath's castle from "OH GOD PLEASE LET ME GET THROUGH THIS ROOM ALIVE" to "The ultimate grinding spot!". Managed to master Ranger on everyone in barely any time at all, and got a few levels out of the deal.

And since the current class is mastered on everyone, let us trust to luck and see if the next class benefits me even more!

...I forgot that I'm the unluckiest bastard around. Figures I'd get one of the few classes that makes Rapid Fire practically useless. This is going to make Exdeath a bit trickier! I guess I can go farm Staffs of Light, but killing those Metamorphs is going to be a bitch and a half.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
"Everyone mastered White Mage, now to Upgrade to my last job. I can pass !White on to whatever I get next so the last job should be an improvement unless I get Monk or something."

loving GUESS WHAT JOB I GOT FOR EARTH

Yeah, no. To the Job Fair!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
And finally, my reroll went through!

...If the Job Fair fee wasn't for charity I would be demanding a refund right about now. As it is I'm headed right back in there, and this time I'm picking the class.

(seriously, giving out classes with neat abilities then giving me the two WORST classes to utilize all of them, what the hell Gilgabot, rackum frickum rassle frassle)

EDIT: Decided to use a random name selector to pick my class from the few I haven't gotten this year (and actually work with the aforementioned abilities) and it chose Mime, which I can't complain about. And that one already went through, so let's take this class to the end of the game!

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 8, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Huh, switching to Mime in the Balance Mod doesn't add !Attack and !Item onto your list of abilities like it does in the normal version. Was that an intentional change or a side effect of altering other classes? I can do without !Attack since I've got !Mug from Thief, but no items might be a bit trickier; if I run out of MP on anyone (particularly Lenna, who's set up to be my primary healer and Holybot) I've got no way to restore it mid-battle.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

I will openly admit that I had to savestate abuse this one, because as I mentioned earlier, I HAD NO !ITEM COMMAND because the Balance Mod failed to add it to my list of abilities when switching to Mime (seriously Can of Worms, if you're reading this please look into that, I wouldn't want anyone else to get stuck without that command when they really need it, this was NOT a fun battle). And if in a prolonged battle, I ran out of MP for Curagas, Shells, Arises, and most importantly Reflects, I was super screwed (also Earthquake was a party wipe any time it came out, and getting Float from Poison Eagles would've been the shortest-term of solutions, considering I had to keep Dispeling my Reflects after Searches to keep Curagas from bouncing to robojerk). If I had had my items, I would've been able to take this one a bit more fairly.

At the very least I shouldn't have to resort to that for Shin and NED, so that's something.

EDIT: Huh, !Attack and !Item are on my list now. I know for a fact they weren't there when I first switched everyone to Mime for my final #Upgrade. Maybe they showed up after I loaded my file from the title screen? Guess that means I should go back and take on Omega fairly.

...I really should. I probably will. drat my sense of morals.

EDIT 2: OK, what seems to happen is that !Attack and !Item are missing from the list when you first bring up the Ability menu on someone... but if you switch to someone else with L or R, the commands appear on their list. That's an interesting bug. Well, now I know for future reference.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Aug 13, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Triple Crown #4: Team Pure Chaos Upgrade: Thief -> Ranger -> White Mage -> Mime

(this Omega shot is my savestate-less win just now, since I discovered I sorta had !Item this whole time, see above)

Had some fun on this one at first, up until Gilgabot gave me Monk for the last job, and then Red Mage on a reroll. Nice of whatever force decides such things to give me the two absolute worst jobs at utilizing the tools from my previous classes. So glad we get the option to pick our classes if we so choose.

Anyway, Upgrade was kind of interesting but got way too grindy at times and didn't afford a whole lot of variety until I moved onto the last job, so I don't think I'll be doing it again, this year and possibly next. I'll probably go for one more run to round out the year at a nice even 5 runs, then call it quits for this season.

EDIT: Not off to a good start, decided to go with the two new modes to round out the year, so Popular Fifth Job started me with Dancer. Ugh.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 13, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
So I thought starting off with Dancer was going to be a pain in the rear end. Then I discovered three important things:
1. Several early bosses are NOT immune to confusion
2. The coding of said bosses usually doesn't know how to respond to being confused and they'll usually just sit there
3. All of the Dance attacks, including Sword Dance, will NOT remove confusion.

This run had just about the easiest Siren/Magissa/Garuda fights I've ever done. And my Water job is Chemist, so it looks like I'm Triple Crowning all my runs this year.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Aw darn it, my Fire job is Blue Mage. Figures I'd get that one immediately after my only chance to nab Death Claw for like a world and a half (I think anyway; there's supposed to be something outside of Exdeath's Castle that uses it, right?)

Though to be honestly Blue Mage feels kind of redundant since I already have Chemist, both are amazing defensive jobs but with occasionally limited offensive power (Chemist less so because of Succubus' Kiss, or something like Holy Breath if you're fighting undead). Wait, they DO have multi-target abilities, something Chemist sorely lacks, so there's that. Guess I'll keep this one instead of Job Fairing a reroll. So I'd better get on learning some abilities. To the Blue Magic list!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
So !Control is no longer needed to have WW cast on you by Enchanted Fans in the Balance Mod? I can get behind that!

And yes, Byblos got a Flame Rod snapped off where the sun don't shine. That and a follow-up Succubus Kiss took care of that poo poo right quick. Having early Chemist is always grand; LiquidFlame got humiliated almost as hard as Byblos did (4 of my 6 Ethers went to slapping Resist Fire on all four fighters, then I just hacked him slowly to death while he kept healing me :v:) and the Karnak 500 was a breeze since I could kill anything in one shot with Succubus. Definitely gonna have fun with this run.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

Control is never needed, just access to Confuse. The spell list that monsters use when confused is identical to the spell list when they're controlled, but the aiming bits are just flat reversed. Since White Wind is default All Allies, it gets flipped to All Enemies when confused.

I have no doubt I've been told this before and have simply forgotten, possibly because I"m getting old (33 is old for an internet nerd). Stupid aging process. :negative:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Yeah, I've had runs start with four of all those classes myself, agreed completely with both of you. The only class that comes even close to them is Summoner, which is every bit as bad as Bard early on, but then starts to hit easy mode with Magissa (since you can simply drop the Frost Rod from Carwen on her), after which you can buy your first Summons in Walse, and then you can start coasting once you nab Shiva from the nearby castle and/or some rods in Karnak.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
poo poo, I should probably do Quad Death too, I have Chemist and Blue Mage as well. I assume Lv 2 Old is the way to go for that, but the problem is I have no idea how to calculate the timing for the delevling on Old. I might just stick to Mix boosts and Dark Spark.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Alright, so my Popular Fifth Job team until Krile joins is Dancer, Chemist, Blue Mage and... Chemist?

Well, guess I won't have to worry about accidentally using abilities I'm not supposed to after Krile signs up. :v:

On the downside, this run is going to be slow as balls until I get my fifth job. Chemist and Blue Mage are beastly but have a pretty weak forward game (especially through world 2 pre-Aeroga and Air Knives) without burning mixables or a lot of MP. And Dancer is Dancer.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

ultrafilter posted:

So far I've got runs from Ablative, Asimov, Bregor, Bufuman, derra, Einwand, FreeKillB, Funktastic, Mega64, Modoh, Mountaineer, Mustard Iceman, Nethertribes, Novasol, Poque, Rebelle Winter, Samuel Clemens, Serene Dragon, theshim, WilliamAnderson and ZiegeDame. Have I missed anyone who's already done this?

Ha, I completely forgot that you were doing that :toxx: and never even mentioned my Thief/Ranger/White/Mime run for this. I'm glad that you're clearly watching for qualifying runs, more money for charity is always good.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
My 5th and last run for the year hit a bit of a wall when I went to farm for Reflect Rings; due to my team having a slow and inconsistent offense, getting four of them took a while.

But now I have those and Air Knife Aerogas, so things are looking up again. :getin:

Probably should level my dudes a bit so I can get in on that Exdeath Punching (everyone's 29 at the moment, so I'll need two levels by the end of the forest and two more before the end of Meatfort).

EDIT: Just beat the crystals, now it's time to FifthJob! My last class for this fiesta is... Ninja. Another repeat, but I'm not complaining, especially since I'm playing the Balance Mod. Give my Dancer Dual-Wield and we're looking at 100% chance of Two Swords Dance, GIMME
:gizz:

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 25, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Getting in on Rudicron's challenge here!

https://twitter.com/Bufuman/status/901332044164337664

https://twitter.com/Bufuman/status/901334032700583936

Apologies for the horrible quality, I'm massively ignorant on decent image-making methods and was working with basically the first programs I could find.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Triple Crown #5: Team Popular Fifth Job (Dancer / Chemist / Blue Mage / Chemist Ninja

This was actually a really interesting team. Since Blue Mage (and Ninja in the minds of some) is pretty broken in its own right, I decided to keep !Mix shenanigans to an absolute minimum. Obviously I had to abuse it a bit for Omega and Shinryu, but I limited myself to Berserking them, as well as blinding Shin and dropping a few Turtle Soups on Omega. And then one Dragon Power against NED for Death By Math. Other than that, I don't think I touched !Mix at all, relying mostly on Blue Magic and Dancer (and later Ninja) physicals.

That said, despite Blue Mage being pretty broken, most of the heavy lifting in the endgame was handled by Dancer of all classes, thanks to the Balance Mod allowing for 100% Chicken Sword Dance. Fun fact: I added on Dual-Wield for a bit of extra damage (for once I actually had a good reason to wield that Man-Eater!) and managed to luck out on the Necrophobe fight and save Gilgamesh by complete accident (I tragically failed to get a screenshot of his death quote though :eng99:)

Finally, while I actually gave Upgrade a shot this year and also tried out Fifth Job, I can't say I'm fond of either of them. Both are neat concepts but mostly they just result in a bunch of extra grinding. Screw that! Anyway...

Yorkshire Tea posted:

For every character between now and the end of the Fiesta named Sonic that completes the Fiesta I will donate a princely sum of 2 British Pounds to charity to an upper limit of £50.

Against my better judgement and sense of ADD, I think I'll go for this, though I reserve the right to Job Fair anything I don't like since I'm already quite near the end of my patience. Starting another Pure Chaos run with no extra frills, and my first job is Mystic Knight. Yet another repeat, but I'll take it! (Please give me Time Mage for once, Gilgabot)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Quick question on the Balance Mod (though I'm sure Can of Worms is sick of hearing from me about it by now :sweatdrop:), was the Mythril Spear adjusted to be earth elemental? Because it's hitting for 0 damage against Archeoaevis and that's the only explanation I can think of. My Trident and the various daggers are hitting for normal damage, but obviously the former will be out for the 4th and 5th phases of the fight and I can't doublehand the latter.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Rudicron posted:

Congratulations!

Were you using mGBA's Record GIF function? I found that it didn't set the framerate right, so I had to open using Gimp and export to another gif, overriding the frame durations to 16ms for a proper 60fps.

I use VBA, which has a video recording function to make an AVI file. Then I used VLC to record the bit I wanted into another AVI file (since I had recorded the entirety of both battles and that would make for a really long GIF), and then turned that video straight into a GIF. That last step seems to be the one that dropped the quality so badly, since I was just using a hardware-free website that was the first one I found on a Google search. Extremely messy but I got the gist of what I wanted, so it'll do.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Can Of Worms posted:

Hmm, I have no idea why that's happening. According to my notes it shouldn't have any elements. Also the Mythril Spear has 30 attack and Archaeovis has 30 defense in its first form, so maybe it's just that? I'll do some testing with that to see if there's anything up.

I doubt that lack of power was an issue; I was double-handing the spear (giving it an attack power of 60) and dropping down to a Mythril Knife (23 power) allowed my Dragoon to do damage even on the first form, so :shrug:

Anyway I need to try and finish my Go Fast run tonight, just getting to the Barrier Tower now, but I've got a pretty drat solid team (Mystic Knight/Dragoon/Bard/Beastmaster) so I foresee no difficulties getting it done quick.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Another quick question: When they say finish runs by the 31st, do they mean by midnight tonight, or by the end of the 31st? Because I can PROBABLY make the former (I'm basically done with everything I need to do in the 3rd world and am ready to head into the Rift), but considering I need to get to sleep in like 40 minutes for work tonight, which will be until 2am, I probably won't make the triple crown unless I'm willing to forgo a little sleep (or play during work, which I can do because I work from home, but it would be extremely unprofessional).

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 30, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Had to go fast so went fast!

Triple Crown #6: Team Pure Chaos: Mystic Knight, Dragoon, Bard, Beastmaster

I really don't know what to say about this team. Never before have I had a group of normally-broken classes that ended up being such a pain in the rear end most of the time. Most of these classes are great, as you know, but the catch is that they're all highly situational. Mystic Knight is basically a meatshield if there's no elemental or status weakness to exploit. Bard is great for randoms (as long as the entire enemy party isn't immune to both Stop and Confusion) and anything undead, but for most of the game they're dead weight against bosses, and even once they get their buffing songs they need time to set them up and get the team going, which may not always be feasible. Beastmaster requires a ton of extra work with !Catch to make the most of them, which is honestly more of a pain that it's worth half the time. All told these three high-tier classes ended up being high-maintenance deadweights for a lot of the run. Dragoon ended up being the surprise MVP of this team, and only because I was playing the Balance Mod, which gives them innate Two-Handed for spears. They hit like airborne trucks! It was delightful!

That said, when Mystic Knight can exploit a weakness (or gets Flare Sword), Bard gets time to set up songs, and Beastmaster spreads !Catch around for a good !Release spam (say hi to my Dragon Aevis Quartet, NED!), they're still beastly classes, so at least the endgame wasn't too bad.

I had hoped to end the year with another Popular run (and match my usual total of seven runs), but I doubt I'll have the time to knock one more out. So it goes! Until next year!

And true to my word I skipped sleep to finish this poo poo and now I have to work tonight on like 5 hours of sleep argh :negative:

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 30, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Seeing your victory pic reminds me that this is the 4th year running where I wasn't assigned Time Mage even once. Darnit, Gilgabot. :eng99:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
If this challenge manages to breathe new life into CT for me, Gilgabot will remain my favorite internet bot ever. Granted, there wasn't many contenders for that title so it probably would've stayed that way regardless, but my point remains.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I got Lucca/Robo/Ayla

So I got Demolitions Girl, a goddamn robot who can heal and blast in equal measure, and the cavewoman who could probably suplex TWO trains whenever they get invented. I can deal with this. :getin:

EDIT: So do they allow for swapping out characters for sidequests? Like, say, what if I want to do the Rainbow Shell event at Guardia Castle that requires Marle? Should I swap her in for a random character or would any rules-hounds prefer to skip the event entirely?

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 21, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Virulence posted:

Crono, Lucca, Magus.

That's some good poo poo.

Hope you like healing with items!

poo poo, that team might actually make things a challenge. Emphasis on "might", the game is drat easy if you know all the tricks (which basically just takes one playthrough).

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

dis astranagant posted:

I say meh at a party that doesn't exist for 90% of the game.

To be fair, that applies to every party that doesn't have Crono assigned to it, since he's locked in your first slot for basically 90% of the game, down to maybe 75% if you factor in endgame sidequests.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Playing this run on the DS version, and I just want to say that even years later, this is still one of my favorite JRPG lines ever. God bless the updated translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Microcline posted:

What's the definitive version? SNES?

That or the DS version. Compared to the SNES, DS version has a few extras, like an updated translation (which is a love/hate thing depending on how nostalgic you are for the original goofier translation), a few anime cutscenes that were originally added to the PSX port, an extra multiplayer feature that sucks but thankfully can easily be ignored, and a few extra end/post-game sidequests. In short, most of the extras are fluff that doesn't really change the overall game, so it's mostly a matter of preference.

Except for the aforementioned PSX version. DO NOT play the PSX version. All it adds are the cutscenes I mentioned earlier, and the tradeoff is GODAWFUL load times; we're talking like 5 full seconds to enter the menu and 7-8 to start a battle.

• Locked thread