Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I haven't played FFV since I was a kid, so I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of the mechanics, but I also don't want to shame the spirits of my ancestors by being a baby and taking the easiest route - what kind of run should I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

So if I do a plain ol' regular run with berserker risk, is there a chance to end up with multiple zerkers? It sounds like at this point getting one is guaranteed if you sign up with risk, and that sounds kinda fun, but I dunno if I'm ready for more than that.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Probably going to regret doing a Berserker Risk on my first ever fiesta but gently caress it, there are too many awesome people donating money and the least I can do is pay them back with my tears :getin:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

This is my first time, so apologies for the dumb question, but how does the start of the fiesta work? Do they do The Run on the 19th, and as soon as they finish, everyone else starts?

And I saw in the OP that there's a pledge drive to do a run with The Run's jobs between them being announced and the start - when do those get announced? I might try it out just to familiarize myself with stuff, even though I'm pretty sure I won't be able to finish it since I'm guessing they are gonna be stuck with the hardest jobs.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Karlabos with a party of white mages was, uh, interesting.

On the plus side, the ship graveyard was super easy. This is also my first time playing the non-PSX version, so Faris speaking like a normal human being has been a weird adjustment.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Whew that Garula fight was a slog, took like 20 minutes because my drat flail kept missing. Never thought I would be so happy to get the Berserker crystal.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I think I'm starting to "get" this whole fiesta thing.

Went in without farming and Liquid Flame's Fire2 counter was one-shotting people, in the end he ran out of MP and Lenna missed like 90% of her attacks for some reason (?) so it was incredibly tense and I just got super lucky that he got stuck in his tornado form trying to heal himself instead of in his human form.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

fits posted:

axes have terrible accuracy if you were using them

I had everyone equipped with mythril hammers, for some reason Lenna was just hitting way less often than everyone else. I must have got stuck in a phase with higher evasion or something.

edit: or is that symbol an axe and my eyes are just bad? It's just called "mythril" but it looks like a hammer.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 9, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

widespread posted:

Are you sure? Your Zerk was alive going into Liquid Flame. Unless that was a ber/zer/ker run.

I was just doing 3 zerks + white mage because it sounded more fun that trying to flail it to death for like an hour and a half.

I also don't know what I'm doing, I meant "get" as in, I see why people enjoy this. This was probably the first time a battle in an FF game has been tense for me in like, over a decade. I'm just trial and error-ing things at this point, it's been enjoyable so far but I'm sure there are going to be some incredibly frustrating parts.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Zerilan posted:

Which party is this? The whm/3x zerk one?

White Mage, Zerker, Beastmaster, Dragoon.

Y'all are way faster than me but I'm having fun with it so far, it's not nearly as painful as I was expecting. White mage is a slow start but it's absolutely worth having good healing later on, some of these fights would be miserable without it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

If you shuffle jobs around while you've got a monster caught, do you lose it or does the game remember what it was if you switch back later?

v- thanks!

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 10, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Good lord that Soul Cannon fight sucked rear end. Thought I would be clever and release a Zuu to cut a huge chunk of his health, but it didn't do anything. Whoops.

Also, why was my beastmaster with the Guardian dagger doing like twice as much damage as my zerkers? Even if the defense ignoring thing didn't work on this boss for some reason, the zerkers had a much higher attack rating.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

derra posted:

Damage in this game is based on the difference between your attack and the enemies defense (how hard you hit per swing), multiplied by a value dependent on your strength and level (how many times you swing per command). Knives such as the Guardian Dagger can also have additional swings based upon your agility. I say can because there's a bug in there which means you only benefit sometimes.

In addition, axes (& hammers) randomly hit between 50% and 100% for their attack value, so there's a large variant in their damage. Soul Cannon has a low defense (5), so the defense reduction ability of axes / hammers doesn't contribute much. A combination of these factors could lead to your dagger user being more effective in the fight.

Did you get a Death Sickle? Please please please make sure to get a Death Sickle if you haven't farmed one yet.

Very informative, thank you!

And yes I did get a Death Sickle, I was reading a bit of the last thread and that was one of the pieces of advice I saw the most, so I figured I should probably listen to people way better at this than I am. Took forever for one to drop but it has absolutely been worth it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Hrmmm, what's the strategy for beating the Byurobolos with this run setup? I'm guessing something the beastmaster can catch? It would have to one-shot them all at once, though, right?

edit: to clarify since god knows what the hell all the versions of this game translated the name as, I'm talking about those six gray bombs you fight at the meteorite.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 13, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Anyone have any tips for the Dragon Grass on this run? All of those status effects are a huge pain in the rear end and I don't think I have any way of stopping them. Beastmaster can kill some with a capture, but they keep respawning.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Thanks guys! Was a bit of a pain trying to get my zerker to hit the right target and also proc the sickle, but I got it eventually. Forgot I had glasses to protect him from blindness, that made a big difference.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

FF5 is the best because status effects and instant death are actually useful, even on bosses. Play smarter, not harder.

Yeah, I'm having a lot of fun because of this. Just so many random things you can try and it's awesome when I have a really dumb idea and it actually works. I've been so conditioned to just assume bosses are almost always immune to poo poo like instant death / toad / mini, etc., so it's cool that some of them let you actually do that.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Hrmm, is there some bug with red dragons in this tower? I opened a chest and one popped out, I controlled it and my zerker killed it with the death sickle proc, and another one spawned....this happened 7 times in a row before I gave up and escaped. I kinda want these items, what is going on here?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

Red Dragons are undead. Death spells fully heal them. Though I'm not sure why it didn't reflect the proc with its permareflect.

Oh, haha I never would have figured that out. Well then!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Man, that Exdeath fight in World 2 was tense as hell!

I'm not sure how much farther I have to go, but I have the day off so I'm sure I'll play way too much of this today and try to finish it up so I can give some poor bastard another berserker.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

fits posted:

if you dont bother with the sidequests world three is extremely short. you can dive into the endgame basically after one dungeon

Ah, awesome, I was worried I wouldn't be able to get through it.

For the pledge drive, do I only need to beat the final boss, or do you have to do the optional bosses too? I'll probably give them a try anyway just for the hell of it, but I wanted to make sure.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

My white mage got zombie'd in the pyramid and I had to do the entire dungeon without her because it turns out I never noticed holy waters in any of the item shops. And of course now that I'm finished, the town nearby has no item shop for some reason.

:negative:

Could have been worse, I guess, at least she had the healing rod equipped. Also monsters seemed to really like targeting her, so it honestly wasn't that bad aside from being slow as hell.

About to see if I can do this boss fight without a healer I guess.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Huzzah! posted:

Check the Inn

Haha dammit, I was just looking for the shop symbol and didn't see it. Oh well, managed to beat the boss without it anyway.

I'm about to do Fork Tower, this is gonna be...interesting.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

lol you guys are amazing.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Wanted to see if I could try Omega, but uhm, does the Tame thing only work in the GBA version or something? It doesn't appear to do anything to him on SNES, and if that doesn't work I'm not sure how this fight would be possible.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Mikl posted:

Alright, here goes! Third time entering the Fiesta, and hopefully second time finishing. Random run, as last year.

And to make this more fun:

:toxx: I'll be watering the Berserker tree at the tune of $10 for each goon-completed run using The Run's jobs, between them being officially announced and The Run starting. (Once per goon, no total upper limit) :toxx:

Get those runs in :getin:

Not too late to stick another person with a zerker, I hope!

First fiesta run ever and also my first time actually beating FFV - I used to play it a lot as a kid but never finished, which is a weird trend I had going with FF games. I quit right before the final areas on IV, V, VI, IX, and X the first time I played them, and I have no idea why (probably because I used to be really OCD about collecting everything).

Finished just under the wire, but that was fun. Killed Shinryu too but like I dumbass I overwrote the screenshot on my clipboard with this one. Berserk + Blink spam made him a complete chump, he didn't hit me a single time and honestly didn't have nearly as much HP as I was expecting based on my experiences with other FF superbosses. Also played all the pianos, did all the Gilgamesh fights, and got all 12 legendary weapons.

Omega ain't happening, although it's pretty cool that there is actually a way to beat him on the SNES version with this party if you are dedicated enough. This game really is kind of mechanically incredible.

I think this run might have spoiled me, I don't know what I'm going to do without a white mage, it let me get away with so many sloppy mistakes. Not a bad party comp at all, though Dragoon was incredibly boring.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I'm not a pro at this by any means but I found Elven Mantles super useful until I could buy the Hermes Sandals. Mantles + Aegis / Ice / Fire shields made a ton of hard-hitting boss attacks completely whiff.

There were a few other handy ones, namely Wall Ring, which lets you cheese at least one boss (probably more).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Out of curiosity, is the iOS port closer to the SNES version or the GBA version with stuff like Omega being calm-able, etc.?

I'm sorta tempted to do an iOS run for my next one since I picked it up on sale a long time ago and never really played it, but whew it's kinda ugly, though they put a lot of work into the enemy sprites.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Did something happen to the guy who is so far behind the others, or did they just do more pre-run prep / start earlier?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Haven't started yet, but I got Blue Mage, which sounds pretty good. Went Zerker risk too, so I'm excited to see what else I end up getting.

Think I'm going to do an iOS run this time, I'm glad I did The Run on SNES but being able to walk faster is probably worth the ugliness this time.

edit: Also drat, there are a lot of quadzerkers in here. RIP.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Genocyber posted:

Why not split the difference and go with the GBA version? It looks good AND has dash (plus fast forward if you're emulating).

That's actually a good idea, I didn't realize it had dash. Thanks!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Am I still supposed to tweet Gilgabot when I hit the water crystal if I've got Berserker risk, or do I need to do something special?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

When is the first time you can buy hi-potions? Not having any healing except for regular ol' potions and elixirs is such a pain, 50 hp at a time ain't cutting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

UberJew posted:

I didn't have chakra so i went the other route and just used about 45 potions

e: gfdi ofc i get berserker on my first fiesta

It's really not so bad, I was dreading it after hearing all the horror stories, but aside from a couple bosses and some annoying moments when I was trying to control an enemy and my zerker kept hitting them or something, I was never that bothered by it. Having more than one would probably be rough, but the Death Sickle trivializes a ton of fights (including a surprising number of bosses) and zerkers deal great damage from start to finish.

It's way, way better than Monk, at least.

• Locked thread