Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Woooooo it's back!

there's no chance I do 10 runs again this year but I look forward to a reg700 purechaos berserkerrisk first run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Whoops, I meant 750. Getting a mage along with any number of berserkers is always nice.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'll go ahead and link some good stuff too. Caves of Narshe (https://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff5/) It has a pretty extensive walkthrough, along with job/ability information, good stuff to steal from enemies, and stuff like boss status vulnerabilities. You can even switch between GBA and PSX enemy/ability/item names on the fly with a toggle button on the left side of the site. It's mostly good although it does have some slight errors every once in a while (Atomos is immune to Old, Djibriel! TIME SLIP IS USELESS AGAINST IT!) but I still usually keep the walkthrough open during my playthroughs.

Fixed this, thanks for the heads up. Let us know if you see other errors that we can address!

Poque fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 23, 2017

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ZiegeDame posted:

Yet another year I find myself wishing there was a mode where I could sign up for 5 consecutive runs with no duplicate jobs. Which got be thinking of a fun bit of theory crafting to kill time until the fiesta starts.

If you had to complete 5 separate runs using each job once and only once, how would you distribute those jobs?

I got as far as:
Time Mage, , ,
Beastmaseter, , ,
Bard, , ,
Chemist, , ,
Mystic Knight, Ranger, ,

This gives each team a shot at beating Omega. You'd probably want to stuff all the lovely jobs with Chemist, because even a Geomancer can use Mix.

What does everyone else think?

This actually seems really fun, maybe if I get a couple back-to-back runs with no job overlap I'll randomize the remaining jobs for three more runs and just job fair it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kyrosiris posted:

2017 has two new commands! This is awesome!

#regpopular - this is kinda like #regchaos, but a weighted random based on the job polls that RK did over the months before the Fiesta. I am pretty sure Blue Mage was the overall winner? So this is good unless you're a Dragondipshit.

The poll results appear to be:
code:
Play-In Round
Mystic 72 > Thief 28
Ninja 61 > Monk 39
Blue 72 > Beast 28
Summoner 61 > Knight 39

Round 1
Time 60 > Dragoon 40
Mystic 64 > Samurai 36 
Bard 55 > White 45
Ninja 51 > Chemist 49 
Red 60 > Geo 40
Blue 57 > Dancer 43 
Black 60 > Ranger 40
Summoner 59 > Berserker 41

Quarterfinals
Mystic 56 > Time 44
Bard 53 > Ninja 47
Blue 65 > Red 35
Summoner 57 > Black 43

Semi-Finals
Blue 64 > Bard 36
Mystic 60 > Summoner 40

Finals
Blue 56 > Mystic 44
I would assume that this results in a weighted order of:
Blue, Mystic, Summoner, Bard, Ninja, Time, Black, Red, Chemist, White, Dancer, Berserker, (Dragoon, Geomancer, Ranger), Samurai, (Knight, Monk), (Beast, Thief)

With the lists in parentheses difficult to tell the order since they ended up with the same percentages. They're ordered their by which job got more votes among the tied jobs.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

OzFactor posted:

#regpopular is obviously terrible if Thief is weighted so low, because Thief is the best job. I would like to use #regunpopular please.

...you know, I'm being facetious (although I really do love Thief), but now that I think about it #regunpopular would be a pretty good "hard mode" type game. Someone ask RK how hard it would be to just flip the script.

I bet it shows up later, like purechaos did last year.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bufuman posted:

I'd like #regpopular more if it wasn't heavily weighted towards classes I already get often. I've been assigned Blue Mage more than any other class (Berserker is the only one that even comes close, and only because of risk and doing the secret mode last year).

Though Time Mage is slotted 5th and I still haven't ever been assigned that one. Maybe I could do a run or two and see if I finally nab it without a Job Fair.

I want your luck. Across 18 non-job-fair runs, I've gotten Blue Mage only once.

I've had 7 Knights, 5 Black Mages, 5 Berserkers (risk-enhanced), 5 Red Mages, and 5 Dragoons.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Went popular with ZERKRISK

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
more people donate berserkers :getin:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

KataraniSword posted:

It's a sacrifice either way you slice it: either you get the dry, hamhanded prose, or you get dialogue at points that is absolutely incomprehensible and dragons attacking you with bracelets.

you'll take Bad Bracelet and Please Eat away from me when i'm cold and dead in the ground

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Prism posted:

Is the only difference between Chaos and Pure Chaos the ability to pull Freelancers and Mimes?

No duplicate jobs in Pure Chaos, either.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sax Solo posted:

I've been having fun taking FFT portraits (from here) and smashing them into FF5A. Noses appeared in the process.
Pretty happy with the results (especially best dad Xezat) though of course I didn't do much. I might put up a patch for download if I get it working (and after a post on that forum).

Holy poo poo, these turned out incredible.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sushi Face posted:

Remind me - if you get a Zerker as your first job is it acceptable to use the version of the ROM that unlocks all jobs?

If so where is that bad boy?

I feel like you should be smiled upon, especially if it's through BERSERKERRISK, for bringing more Zerks into the world earlier. It's not like anybody is clamoring for extra Berserker AP.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

berenzen posted:

I thought it was #blameeverhate

Anyway, the only way you get to use anything from your earth crystal is if you manage to roll freelancer on your fifth job. Which means you can use the passives of your fourth job.

Wouldn't it work with a Freelancer or Mime on any non-Earth slot?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
We're live.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

One down, easy party

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

OzFactor posted:

Okay so what's the hot Quadzerk Liquid Flame strat? Gain levels and pray to the Crit God? What level have people done it at?

Pretty much. I quadzerk'd it at 18 this run.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bruceski posted:

How does L3Flare help get Mighty Guard?

Killing Stingray is a pain in the rear end with its 30k HP, but its level is divisible by 3.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Koobes posted:

BERSERKERS NEVER RUN, THEY NEVER SHOW FEAR.

Also +3 on the Basch Count, bringing us to 1+4.

This is absolute madness. :popeye:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Rirse posted:

What the indicator when the chicken knife is full power?

No real indicator, but it will increase your attack power to 127 (if it's the only weapon you have equipped).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kashuno posted:

anything particularly valuable I can steal for thief/ber/ser/ker

The axe from Titan is absolutely worth going for

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Alxprit posted:

So how does Chemist make Omega doable again? I can't seem to find anything that would actually help me fight him with my White/Red/Geo party.

From a thread or two ago (I have this bookmarked because it's SO GOOD!)

Kyrosiris posted:

How To Murder Omega With Chemist, gently caress It I'm Lazy edition: Berserk him with Blessed Kiss. Revive through his damage while you try to plug him with Thundaga Spellblade Chicken Knife.

How To Murder Omega With Chemist, Fight It Out edition:

0) Your Geomancer is the one that will murder Omega for you, due to highest magic score.
1) Everyone comes into the fight with a reflect ring and floating via Levisalve
2) Omega's first action is completely nullified by reflect rings.
3) Your team mixes onto your Geomancer: Dragon Kiss, Dragon Defense, Hasty-Ade, Goliath Tonic
4) Omega uses Wave Cannon. Ignore your non-Geomancer flunkies.
5) Geomancer saves their life with X-Potion. Two flunkies use Dragon Powers on the Geomancer to help level, and the third uses Resist Fire to null Flamethrower
6) Alternate Dragon Powers and X-Potions (as needed) until the Geomancer is level 255.
7) Alternate Turtle Soups and X-Potions (as needed) until you drop six Turtle Soups on him, reducing his Magic Defense to 2.
8) Use Succubus Kiss as your offense, but only when a Wave Cannon is not the next attack on his agenda (lest you get combo'd out by Mustard Bomb + Wave Cannon). Pay attention to Omega's AI routine to sniff this out.
9) Golden Gear get

In your case, I believe your White Mage will be the Omega murderer rather than the Geo listed there.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
A lot of times I'd rather have a Red Mage than a Geomancer, simply because Red Mage wrecks the heck out of world 1. If I have jobs that can carry the load in W2 or W3 then I'm totally fine with Red Mage.

Like right now I have Mime/Red/Blue/Knight and it's kind of great because Red Mage served its purpose and the rest can hold me up through the end of the game without me needing to feel like I have to grind for Dualcast.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kashuno posted:

the discord notification makes it even better

Dammit Magnus

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

!calm isn't working on Omega. I use it and he immediately wave cannons me anyway. Like, literally as soon as my character steps back. Am I doing something wrong?

What version are you playing?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sadly it doesn't work on SNES.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Finished up my second run last night so I decided to use my third run to job fair into four of one job, since getting four Knights last year was actually pretty fun. Asiina convinced me to do a #regchaos and then pick one of the jobs to use, taking a duplicate if I happened to get one (unless it was Knight). well

Not a great set, so I decided to go with Time Mage over Ranger. Should be ... interesting

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Whether you are playing SNES or a later version, you can triple crown with that team, so good luck with that.

Yeah! I think it will be a slog but definitely doable. I'll learn a lot about boss vulnerabilities for sure.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

What's the best weapon for my blue mage? Excalipoor/gobpunch, chicken knife/gobpunch, Gaia hammer, something I don't know?

Depends on your remaining team composition. But by the end of the game, probably an AirKnife or Wizard Rod paired with Aeroga spam.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Soup du Jour posted:

I love how every year, "don't play any version except for SNES" becomes more and more obvious.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Four Time Mage Fiesta is over, hooray!

A quickleak for all of these enemies, minus Magic Lamp Odin for the final chunk of NED. I didn't have the patience to try any of them regularly, especially on SNES with all the dummy NED targets for Meteo. Honestly, nothing was really that bad - I did some save state manipulation for Reflect Rings because fuuuuuck that with only time mages. I did some mini dragon grinding before leaving world 1, did some Blind Wolf grinding for money before leaving world 2, and basically ran from every other encounter the whole time. Most bosses were just some combination of Comet, Meteo, and Rod Breaking.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Early job unlocking...bad???

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I think i'm screwed. I'm on the 4 crystal guardians fight in forest of moore with 3 zerks and a summoner. I can get two crystals down and still survive but after that i'm doomed to failure as the only decent weapons I have on my zerkers are air knives which heal one of the crystals. I can equip something else on them but the damage loss is pretty severe.

Where on earth are your doom axes?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Wow, ten each? That's awesome of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Dr. Dos posted:

I changed my @ name on Twitter so now the site doesn't recognize who I am. Is there an option I'm missing to update it? I've got a #victoryshinryu that never got processed because of it and i'm holding off on the final fight because of it

You can probably change it back for a day and do your victory, then change again. I don't have access to my 2014 runs on the site because of a name change and I don't think there's a way for RK to validate it.

• Locked thread