Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Why aren't there dates in the OP? I need to schedule my life around this dang it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mountaineer posted:

Ready for another fiesta season!

I probably won't use the fiesta mod this time. That being the case, I might go back to the SNES version of the game. Is there any compelling reason to stick with the GBA version?

You can run faster.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Except for that one ability, Red Mage is so bad in this game. The cutoff for what they can learn is way too harsh.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TBH I only ever go for chicken knife if I have a dancer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I ain't playing FF12, but I did pre-register. Now we play the waiting game...

Txn posted:

About the Fiesta patch, it also randomized the extra classes with an interesting result

The Gladiator was my second Time Mage and surprisingly both the Necromancer and Oracle were intact at least for Bartz. I know that those classes are never going to be used in a Fiesta but I still found it funny.

Hey, if someone added those classes to the pool with some kind of patch next year, it wouldn't be any crazier than some of the stuff we have now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Eh, screw it. :toxx: Everyone who clears the game with the name "a butt" will trigger a 2 dollar donation from me, up to a maximum of 70 bucks(it'd be more but the exchange rate is murder).

I also just donated :10bux: to add some zerkers to the pool. :getin:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

How does the pledging work? I expected the button to take me to a donation thing automatically. Is this an honor system thing? :O

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Next year I'm just going to put "don't play natural you fools" in the title, I guess.

The OP doesn't even explain what a natural run is this go-round.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FF5/6 on PSX was fun at the time but holy poo poo, load times every random encounter is not acceptable in this day and age.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So I was trying to do something, it didn't quite pan out, but I've got something else for the thread as a result.

For the 2-3 people out there who still have Scribblenauts Unmasked installed, I made a Berserker.

Put a battleaxe in his hands and watch him wreak havoc across the DC universe. This guy will attack anyone and anything until he dies, as god intended.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The fiesta ain't even started you maniacs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sax Solo posted:

I've been having fun taking FFT portraits (from here) and smashing them into FF5A. Noses appeared in the process. Pretty happy with the results (especially best dad Xezat) though of course I didn't do much. I might put up a patch for download if I get it working (and after a post on that forum).

These are lovely, although I would recommend giving Gilgamesh solid white eyes. He just looks wrong otherwise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sealed Temple might be a load of bullshit but it's still way better than the extra content from Chrono Trigger DS.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mega64 posted:

The post-game donjon was alright. The other one, though...

I disagree. The level design is so immediately worse than the rest of the game. You can tell a few steps in that none of the original team were involved in designing it.

Dwall posted:

a butt and friends finished The Run.

Not as hard as the hype suggested, but not particularly fun.

Hmm, I didn't expect to have to donate over a butt before the fiesta actually started!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

:toxx: oath has been kept.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

FF5 is the best because status effects and instant death are actually useful, even on bosses. Play smarter, not harder.

You'd be surprised how many classic JRPGs have status ailments and instant death spells that actually work but go ignored by the player. FF4, 6 and 7 teach horrible habits.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So the countdown on the official site is a lie? Why I never.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

We reached 12 500 bucks guys. You know what that means....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDogkdgCl1A&t=340s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

InfernoBlade posted:

Yeah I chucked the last $1300 as elmagus entered the rift. Wasn't about to let that incentive go unmet.

That is a lot of god drat money.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Since the race is nearing its end, what emulator should I use if I want to use the fiesta patch and the music restoration patch?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can't tell if the patch is working or not. :sweatdrop: Maybe I expected too much from it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aerdan posted:

And here's the combined Fiesta + Sound Restoration patch. If an IPS patch is preferable, let me know.

I would like an IPS patch for this, please.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I would like an IPS patch for this, please.

Actually never mind, I figured it out!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If anyone's hesitating between the two, I recommend going with Basch instead of "a butt", because Koobes donates more per run and has a higher upper limit than I do. I should be regarded as the second-run name option.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FF6 having one of the main stats in the game not work at all in the original release is hard to top.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not sure, all I remember is that sunglasses do nothing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Because you're not afraid to take a chance...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm streaming my run to motivate myself, feel free to tune in if you're not busy running yourselves.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Arist posted:

hey I got chemist/zerker, do I go four zerkers for now or 1 freelancer, I always forget how it works

If you were using the fiesta mod you would be rocking chemists from the start, friend!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The vanilla fiesta mod does nothing besides unlocking all jobs early, which someone doing any kind of chaos run should be perfectly ok with. :shrug: Well, it also makes Neo Exdeath a lot cooler, but that's it.

I mean I understand the appeal of an unmodded experience, but the Fiesta is already a kind of mod.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I've got 4 black mages, I ain't exactly doing backflips. I wiped to those flying cats in the mountain.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Today I started playing FFV for the first time, and gosh, it's really charming so far! Simple plot, but effective.

I've got currently: two knights, two mystic knights. After having to backtrack through the entire fire ship donjon to buy spells for my mystic knights, I then wrecked the fire boss and now there's a timed segment - but I've saved to get some sleep.

Game is fun! I never would've ever played it without this challenge / SA bringing the challenge to my attention, so - thanks, guys! It's a good time. :3:

ps. My dude is named Basch, because of Ondore's Lies.

Friendly advice, don't try to do everything in that timed segment, it's more or less impossible. You're going to run into a time-waster at the very end, so keep that in mind. If you're not averse to guides you might look up what treasures in that section are worthwhile and/or relevant to your classes so you can map out how to get them and not waste time on monsters in chests and 20 gil "treasures", but if you don't feel like doing that, just keep a brisk pace.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Black Mage and Mystic Knight.... hardly a bad team so far, but god drat do I wish I could heal.

Also, still pretty happy with this name.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Having to leave the Elven Mantle behind in the basement of Walse castle is the truly painful part of trying a Brave Blade run.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

If you're playing the GBA version, you can abuse quicksaving to avoid the fight altogether.

I could hardly ask you to donate if I just cheesed my way through the pain.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't know how to feel about this one. I wish harps didn't blow so much. Oh well, at least I got Mighty March to heal with now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah I know I'm OP since I have mystic knight and black mage, I just wasn't sure how to feel about bard as my fire job. When I play vanilla I usually give them the ability to use good weapons, but that's not allowed here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wiped to Mini Dragons while looking for Ramuh. :negative:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

OzFactor posted:

Well, you know who's good at getting anything they want in Karnak is a pack of overlevelled kids in wolf hats.

edit: come to think of it... why do the soldiers attack you in Karnak? The castle's going to blow up, so let's... try to kill these friendly citizens? I guess anything goes when the captain of the guard is some sort of famed serial killer.

They're under Exdeath's control, as demonstrated in the cutscene just before where a guard flips the "gently caress everything up" switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ayyy. That's exactly why I'm doing this Toxx.

• Locked thread