Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Probably going to run it on the actual SNES this year with the SD2SNES I have, but are there any hacks to add the dash without having to get thief?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It going to be weird going from the stlyish Persona 5 to Final Fantasy V. Like to imagine a Gilgamesh fight with the stylish P5 menu.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thinking of playing the SNES version this year after getting a SD2SNES and SNES Retrovision cable to play it with the component slot on my CRT. The old RPGe translation is nice and serviceable, but anyone try the one that came out last year that is a revised version of it? The GBA translation is so good, so I rather not end up with another Y-Burn or Princess Salsa deal.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Colorspray posted:

This always looked fun and I never participated before, so I'm in.

However...

I wanted to pay for a legit copy and grabbed the psx version on vita in preparation. Apparently, this was a mistake - but how big of one was it?

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I went with pure chaos with the fifth class. I always have bad luck with the fourth class, so who knows I might get something halfway decent when Krile takes over.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Asked before, but what the best translation these days for the SNES release? I know the RPGe one is the original one that been around for about twenty years, but I saw a patch last year that suppose to update it, probably getting the names to match the GBA translation.

Honestly wish someone just backport the GBA translation to the SNES version instead but that probably not happening.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Trasson posted:

The overhaul didn't even do that much, actually. It's basically indistinguishable from the RPGe translation aside from a few minor cleanups.

As for backporting the GBA translation, that's likely not going to happen. There's the technical barriers, for one. FFV's text is all stored uncompressed. Meaning, one character is one byte. The GBA translation is a lot more wordy and thus would require more space. That alone isn't an insurmountable problem: modern emulators can handle SNES roms of quite large size. However, you'd have to move text into that new space and then repoint everything. Again, that's not impossible, nor does it require any special romhacking skills. A knowledge of how to use a hex editor and how SNES pointers (and pointers in general) work would be all that's required. No, the trouble would be the tedium. You'd have to check every single line of dialogue and every single incidental monster attack to be sure you didn't mess up a pointer location or forget an EOL character and cause everything to break. That's not only a long process, but it's a boring long process.

The bigger barrier is the ethical one. Note, I don't say legal: romhacking is a legal gray area as it is and I'm not qualified to comment on it. So, we're talking an ethical issue. That is, there are a few unspoken rules about romhacks. One of them is only distributing original work, and not any of the original creator's. Somewhere between RPGe deciding to use "Blow Fish" for 1000 Needles (for recognizability because that's what the most recent mainline game did) and taking the entire rewritten English script of FFV and handing out your own derivation of it there's a line you're crossing, and it's not a line that ought to be crossed. If people want the GBA translation, then they should go play that one (or dump the script and insert it themselves). Not everyone will necessarily agree on the finer points of this last note, but the general principle holds: make your own hack, don't just copy someone else's work.

That true. I imagine if it anyone made one, it would be like the hack for FF6 GBA where they combined the GBA script with elements of the old SNES script.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sax Solo posted:

I've been having fun taking FFT portraits (from here) and smashing them into FF5A. Noses appeared in the process.
Pretty happy with the results (especially best dad Xezat) though of course I didn't do much. I might put up a patch for download if I get it working (and after a post on that forum).

If you can get that working, I probably just play the GBA version this year over my planned SNES version on the actual SNES.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

Sealed Temple might be a load of bullshit but it's still way better than the extra content from Chrono Trigger DS.

I did legit like the Final Fantasy VI Advance bonus dungeon. Then again it set up like Phoenix Cave/Kefka Tower and the enemies ain't that much harder then what there.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man I can't wait for this to start. I gone ahead and got my save for the fiesta pass Wind Raptor since there nothing stating I need to wait for the start date to get out of the prologue. Feels weird but exciting to play this on my actual SNES this year with the SD2SNES.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sax Solo posted:

Okay I made a patch of the FFT portraits thing I was working on. (Credits to the ffhacktics community; I did very little drawing myself on these, to be clear.)

It .. seems to work fine.

Awesome. I hope someone posts a example photo of how this looks ingame.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Aerdan posted:

(https://freki.aerdan.org/fsrp.ups if you want Fiesta and sound restoration patches alongside.)

That does look good. I probably use it on my second run after I am done with the SNES version. Do you have a version with only the sound restoration?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Does the Fiesta start immediately upon someone finishing the run, or all fourthree who are streaming need to be done?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, pure chaos and first job is zerker. I hate to say this, but I might take the job fair since I am on the SNES version and rather not risk my water crystal and fire crystal job be earth or mimic, as I would get forced into the sandworm hell. Maybe I will wait until the water crystal to see if I don't get a job that already available or don't end up with thief naturally. I might just peak ahead and see if it does give me a job that I can use before the sandworm.

[edit]

Got Red Mage (ugh) and Ninja (yay). Bard is my earth job, but since I am doing the Krile challenge, I won't get to use that for long. Oh well, bard can be nice but I had it a few times so I am not going to regret losing it unless I get dragoon for the fourth time.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 18, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Not going to job fair zerker, but could I give them the Ninja's double weapon for twice the doom axe?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Color Printer posted:

I'm glad the last job was something like Time Mage. If it was something like Geomancer I would have ripped my loving hair out.

Then you would look like the Isaac in your avatar.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You know red mages ain't bad with throw, since scrolls are dirt cheap compare to rods. Anything to make it even stronger?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So my fifth job was White Mage, which replaced Bard. Not a bad trade off, even if bard can be better in the end. White Mage does mean more power for my ninja's throw scrolls along with my red mage's doublecast will actually be useful!

And I guess zerker can equip white magic for healing out of battle.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

KataraniSword posted:

Zerky also really likes !White 6 for the magic boost. Rune Axe keys off of that stat for its attack bonus, so a white-slinging Berserker will do significantly more damage.

That does sound nice. You know, Ninja, Zerker, White Mage, and Red Mage isn't a bad party. Red Mage isn't great, but it benefit a lot with the others. Probably won't need anymore rods, as scrolls are a slight trade off in damage for being way cheaper.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of chicken knife, I saw mention on the doc about being able to use it on a ninja with their off hand? But when I gave my ninja the dancing dagger on either hand, it would still trigger the dancing dagger script and not use the other weapon.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

dis astranagant posted:

Use the double lance in your main hand. It hits twice and only your first 2 hits can proc anything. It's also the second best weapon the ninja can use unless you're fighting Shinryu.

Oh when do you get that? I am halfway into Exdeath's Castle, so I am about to hit world 3.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

dis astranagant posted:

There's one in meatcastle, the room with the pit puzzle that drops you in the big lava room when you gently caress it up. Otherwise you steal them from statues. Only ninjas and thieves can use them. You can also buy them in phantom village but why wait?

Oh goodie, because where I am saved at is right before that room. :toot:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What the indicator when the chicken knife is full power?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What the best AP place in World 3. I think it was some stingrays, but forgot if there is a better option. The drawback of having red mage is a LOT of AP is needed for it final rank, and since I got a white mage, I do want that dual cast.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Which of the sealed weapons are throwable? I got all the ones I need for my class of White Mage, Red Mage, Ninja, and Zerker and now just grabbing anything I figure my ninja can shove into Exdeath's face.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

KataraniSword posted:

Your problem is mostly in that you lack offensive muscle; Beastmaster is good for utility but not a real powerhouse (aside from one-and-done !Catches), !Spellblade is absurd but Mystic Knight itself has only barely-above-Freelancer levels of Strength to attack with and is stuck with normal swords even as the game shifts to prioritizing Knight Swords and Katanas. In the latter half of W2 up until you get Holy and Flare, your entire offense is going to come from Chicken Dances.

On the flipside, you should concievably never die as soon as you get to Regole and get Shell.

Excalibur, Holy Lance, Sasuke's Katana (which the Ninja should be using if he's not Twin-Chicken), Rune Axe (which the Zerk should be handling), Masamune, Assassin's Dagger (which is too nice to throw away except on the final boss if the Ninja isn't using it).

In other words, anything with a blade, plus the spear.

Cool. Chicken Knife is still powering up so I am using Sasuke's Katana for now. By the way, does Ninja's dual wield let you use the katana as well? Thinking of giving the Sasuke's Katana to the Zerker while he has the Rune Axe in the other hand once I get the Chicken Knife full power.

By the way, is there any use to the curse ring like the FFVI version, or it just vendor trash? I am tired of it auto equipping anytime I change a skill out.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Vendor trash.

(also, pedantically, the Cursed Ring had no use whatsoever, you're thinking of the Shield that would uncurse after 255 battles)

That right it the Paladin Shield in 6. Curse Ring in 6 is vendor trash there as well.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Poulpe posted:

Does the Karnak trick not work in the SNES version of FF5?
I'm always getting arrested before I can buy anything.

You still get a item, but you can't buy multiples.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I was watching a stream last night of a person using the randomizer for his fiesta run on the SNES since he ran it so many times he wanted something different. Anyway he used warp in the Ancient Library in world three and it sent him back to Ghido's cave. Wonder if this exist outside the randomizer?

And doing this let him visit the Mirage Village early.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yay beat my run on the actual SNES. Used the rpge translation with the patch from last year that cleaned up the text a little and put Krile instead of Cara.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Gone ahead and peaked at the second run jobs since I wasn't going to do a new run unless it was something interesting, but I got three jobs I didn't have before so I probably will complete this one. What can I do with Monk, Black Mage, Summoner, and Mystic Knight? Monk is the weak weak for sure since no bard to make him super buff like last time I had him, but the heavy magic focus doesn't really matter.

• Locked thread