Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

There's really no need to keep everyone alive. Just choose one killer (probably your Time Mage) and mix them into godhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nasgate posted:

It definitely changed how much he absorbed on the Mobile version. Need a :dice: emote for Matrix

I hate being wrong and right at the same time with this game.

It's a pinned message for a reason. :colbert:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, the thing you're probably missing is the doubled attack power for thrown things from 6.5.3.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You don't have to call your crystals as soon as you get them in Upgrade, specifically to prevent what you describe (grinding out expensive abilities in world one).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

free Trapt CD posted:

First time playing FFV and just passed the Earth crystal - Summoner / Bard / Berzerker / Ninja on a Popular run. This is a lot more fun than I'd expected! I signed up for Fifth Job, but I'm confused about it: when Krile joins I'm no longer allowed to use any Ninja skills as well as being locked out of the job? Is that correct?

Yep. You basically have to pretend you never had Ninja at all.

That said, you have Summoner and Bard, which basically lets you tear the game wide open, so it's not the biggest loss. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

With Geomancer, I'd say anywhere on the overworld that looks like swamp, because Bottomless Bog is really great for grinding.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Thanks to everyone who participated in this stupid challenge. I'm so pumped that even though my :toxx: is lifted, I'm going to grant a special extension: everyone who's already started a run as "a butt", I'll donate if you triple crown. The "already started" part is on the honor system, so please don't screw me for charity.

I've gone ahead and marked it complete in the OP though. You're awesome. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bufuman posted:

Went with Chaos for my third run. So far my first two jobs are Ninja and Ranger.

Already this run looks to be a DELIGHT.

EDIT: Possibly spoke too soon, fire job is Geomancer. Save me, earth job!

At least putting !Throw on the Geomancer makes them good, because they have a bonkers-high magic score.

No way to pass it to the Ninja, sadly.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: The Brave Blade donation drive is now finished. :siren:

And marked as complete in the OP. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

In my defense I tend to not assume rebalance mod. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

agradine posted:

Forgot about !Hide completely, yeah that makes that fight a joke. Do you even need to leave anyone out there to get hit by the beam? Why not let everyone dodge it? Does it need a valid target to fire and reset its charge counter?

Nope! Quad !Hide is hilarious and makes a mockery of Sol Cannon.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

IIRC, the Thief Knife has a 1/3 chance to use !Mug instead of attack, but stealing only has a 40% chance of succeeding without the Thief's Gloves. So the chance of getting an Aegis Shield on any given attack is 1/3 * 4/10 * 10/256 = 1/192. Pretty drat bad.

That is correct.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

OzFactor posted:

-I am debating whether or not to give the Knight Two-Handed. It might be better to fight a battle of attrition with this team instead of try to burn down as fast as I can.

With that team lineup I'm not sure what else you would use, aside maybe from !Gaia with an Air Knife? But even still, I'd just use Two-Handed, since you can always slip an Aegis Shield on and off as needed (and all you lose is the bonus from Two-Handed temporarily while you have a shield on).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Nasgate posted:

White/chem/thief/? So far. I don't know what game is gilgabot is playing at, but this is so far a rather slow first world.

I would recommend stealing a Lamia's Tiara while you're in Ronka, just in case that ? turns into Dancer.

Worst case, it's a nice helm for your White Mage. E: And it applies to the Dancing Dagger, so you could go for a physical Chemist busting it out I guess? :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Serene Dragon posted:

Guess I had that one coming, but other than mighty guard and white wind, are there any blue magic tricks that work on Omega? Though he is heavy and has a poo poo-ton of magic evade, so I suppose not.

Other than Thousand Needles, not really. I personally wouldn't bother with your team, because you have no lockdown and no guaranteed damage outside of landing fifty-six Thousand Needles casts. (Sword Dance is auto-hit, but gently caress me I would not want to deal with an active and angry Omega trying to land five of them)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fair enough. I'm lazy and don't bother with Omega without lockdown. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, counter-attacks and HP Leak damage bypass Counter scripts. This is why the HP Leak strategy works for Archaeoavis, for example.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

agradine posted:

I don't remember how it works in other versions, but on Mobile Omni's counter script is based off the command you use to hit him with. So breaking rods/magic lamp are technically uses of the "Item" command which are verboten in the Rugwizard's abode. Counter, not being a command at all, should work.

Do things like the Mage Masher's Silence proc trigger on counter attacks? If so you shouldn't even need to wait for him to silence himself.

That's how it works in all versions, yeah. The thing that makes Omniscient different in mobile is that he can somehow still cast Return while Berserked, whereas in every other version, React: scripts are turned off by Berserk.

The things that trigger React:Physical scripting, fwiw, are:

quote:

Kyrosiris: THIS poo poo AIN'T MAGIC (and will trigger React: Physical scripts): Item, Fight, Kick, Focus, Steal, Mug, Lance, Jump, Throw, Mineuchi, Zeninage, Animals, Aim, Rapid Fire, Call, Check, Scan, Release, Mix, Gaia, and Dance.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

Now to reap my true reward: the Kaiser Knuckles.

:barf:

Also you could've dispelled him before you berserked him. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

OzFactor posted:

I'm not sure that would work, he has Protect/Shell/Regen innately. Can you Dispel things like that?

Sure can. As long as it's not an "always" status, it's dispellable. Compare Rugwizard to Necrophobe's Barriers:

code:
NAME: Omniscient
INITIAL STATUS: Armor, Shell, Regen
code:
NAME: Barrier
INITIAL STATUS: (Always) Wall
This is also why Hermes Sandals are cool and good because it's (Always) Haste, meaning it can't be dispelled (that and the four status immunities).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

I didn't know Berserk no longer broke scripts in the iOS version. Is that specific to the Omniscient fight or does it work for anyone?

Well, it's just an assumption, based on that Omni can still Return while Berserked, which he shouldn't be able to.

As for if it hits anything else, :iiam:.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

My biggest problem was some terrible hit chances occassionally, what was up with all the misses? I thought Berserk IMPROVED hit chance?

Berserk does nothing but "Attack = Attack * 3 / 2" and removes your ability to control the character. Swords are 100% hit weapons aside from the Blood Sword, so you were probably just running into physical evasion.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

Shows me for trusting the FF Wiki.

That thing is utter and complete garbage, so yes, that's on you. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bufuman posted:

...I forgot that I'm the unluckiest bastard around. Figures I'd get one of the few classes that makes Rapid Fire practically useless. This is going to make Exdeath a bit trickier! I guess I can go farm Staffs of Light, but killing those Metamorphs is going to be a bitch and a half.

They're susceptible to Confuse and cast Blizzaga when confused, so Confuse them and spam Image on them to keep them from breaking themselves out. :getin:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

derra posted:

Dance never breaks Sleep either.

Yup, makes Atomos a piece of cake.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

That said you've got it and a source of Confusion (E: assume you're using Fiesta Mod) just in time for early White Wind, and honestly anything you'd Death Claw you can just Death Potion instead. The biggest thing you'll miss it for is Byblos, but gently caress it, just 750 his rear end.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bufuman posted:

So !Control is no longer needed to have WW cast on you by Enchanted Fans in the Balance Mod? I can get behind that!

Control is never needed, just access to Confuse. The spell list that monsters use when confused is identical to the spell list when they're controlled, but the aiming bits are just flat reversed. Since White Wind is default All Allies, it gets flipped to All Enemies when confused.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bufuman posted:

poo poo, I should probably do Quad Death too, I have Chemist and Blue Mage as well. I assume Lv 2 Old is the way to go for that, but the problem is I have no idea how to calculate the timing for the delevling on Old. I might just stick to Mix boosts and Dark Spark.

Grand Cross piece: 83, so two Dark Sparks goes 83 / 2 = 41 / 2 = 20 = skull
Almagest piece: 67, so one dragon power and three dark sparks goes 67 + 20 = 87 / 2 = 43 / 2 = 21 / 2 = 10 = skull
Physical piece: 81, so one dark spark goes 81 / 2 = 40 = skull
Magical piece: 86, so three dark sparks goes 86 / 2 = 43 / 2 = 21 / 2 = 10 = skull

No L2 Old timing required. :) Granted, the quad skull is tricky as gently caress because the magic evasion can't be dealt with in any way other than throwing attempts at it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Probably quicker to just get every part up to level 255 honestly.

True, true.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

Beastmaster is a little fiddly to start, but there's a capture in the ship graveyard that can one-shot Siren, grab either a goblin or four Strong Fight things outside Carwen (Tattoo, I think?) for Magissa, and then you have a whip and can just casually stroll through Garula. Not sure if there's a sure-fire method for dealing with Liquid Flame, but after that, you have access to Bearaga.

Bandersnatches near Walse cast Blaster, so 50/50 chance of instant death.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dwall posted:

I was looking Sulla's site. He finally has a Mime playthrough typed up, but he mentions having a Lamia's Tiara in world two. I was sure the only way to get one before world three was a rare steal, something a pure Mime wouldn't be able to do. Is there something I missed?

Huh. You know what, I have no idea. I wish he used his twitter... for anything, really, because I'd poke him and ask him.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I believe you mean :getin:.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The second form is not heavy and not immune to Stop, so assuming that the iOS version isn't a sack of poo poo in this regard too, you could just keep it stop-locked while you burn it down.

Alternatively try a chemist's Death Potion? I don't know if the iOS version changed it from being A% hit or not.

(What I'm getting at here is the mobile version loving blows please stop playing it people :()

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Can Of Worms posted:

Oh, thanks for the report! No idea why that's happening at the moment.

It may be related to something Sulla discovered in his pure Mime run:

quote:

As I went through the Wind Shrine, I wanted to have Marcel try fighting as a Mimic. However, there's a bit of an unusual drawback to the Mimic class: you must learn at least one ability from another job before the Mimic can select the Fight and Item commands from the ability menu. Marcel couldn't do anything except use the Mimic command, and that wasn't going to be enough as a solo character! I went ahead and selected the Mystic Knight instead, a job that only requires 10 AP in order to unlock an ability, and fought through the Wind Shrine in that fashion. The Wind Raptor gave Marcel enough points to unlock the Magic Barrier ability, and then I could finally swap over to the Mimic job permanently, with the ability to fight and use items. Here's the traditional picture for my solo characters upon completing the Wind Shrine:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

OzFactor posted:

I don't think I can keep up with him with only one Mixer who isn't starting Hasted. Like, I'm not even sure I can get through #2. But I will try!

Nah, it's doable, just rough. He's so fast and you have to come in with a Reflect Ring that it's really hard to get things layered. Use Sulla's solo omega report to help.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Hello Friends!

It's the last week of the Fiesta by my count and I once again have not bothered to even start my run.

Mainly because I drew White Mage as my Water Crystal job. Siiigh.

However, I can't finish a year without a run so I will need to finish up quickly.

In fact you might say I:

For every character between now and the end of the Fiesta named Sonic that completes the Fiesta I will donate a princely sum of 2 British Pounds to charity to an upper limit of £50.

OP'd. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

jaclynhyde posted:

TIL on the iOS version, released Yellow Dragons can now miss. And will miss at least 90% of the time against Exdeath.

Don't play iOS!

Yeah, all percentile damage effects that were previously A% hit are now not (I think they're 99%? but when you have level differential and spell evasion...).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bufuman posted:

I doubt that lack of power was an issue; I was double-handing the spear (giving it an attack power of 60)

The equip screen is a house of lies about two-handed.

quote:

SPECIAL: Double Grip OK: Whether the weapons can be double gripped with the Knight's DBL GRIP command. DBL GRIP: M = M * 2

Note that this is effectively the same on low-defense targets, but on high-defense targets you may still fail to punch through, as you experienced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

Looks like I don't get to play. I tweeted over an hour ago, and nothing. Oh well.

Check the website, sometimes the bot gets throttled.

• Locked thread