Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q8fG0TtVAY&hd=1
► COMIC-CON TRAILER | ► ORIGIN TRAILER | ► FINAL TRAILER

After decades of not having her own feature film while both Batman and Superman have seen their fair share, DC Comics' Wonder Woman is finally set to make her first-ever solo appearance on the big screen next month. Wonder Woman marks the fourth entry into the DC Extended Universe (DCEU) series of films, sharing its continuity with the likes of Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, and Suicide Squad. In this live-action adaptation of William Moulton Marston's epic heroine, audiences will see the origin story of The Amazon Princess unfold for the first time. Before she was Wonder Woman, she was Diana, princess of Themyscira, trained warrior. Raised on a sheltered island paradise, when a fighter pilot crashes on their shores and tells of a massive war raging in the outside world, Diana leaves her home convinced she can end the conflict. Fighting alongside man in the war to end all wars, Diana will discover her full powers and her true destiny.

Directed by Patty Jenkins (Monster), with the story by Zack Snyder, Jason Fuchs, and Allan Heinberg, the film stars:

Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman/Diana Prince
https://zippy.gfycat.com/BriefOblongArcticfox.webm
Chris Pine as Steve Trevor
https://zippy.gfycat.com/FlimsyHomelyHorse.webm
Connie Nielsen as Queen Hippolyta
https://zippy.gfycat.com/PeskyFearlessAfricanmolesnake.webm
Robin Wright as General Antiope
https://zippy.gfycat.com/HarshAngryDotterel.webm
Danny Huston as General Erich Ludendorff
https://zippy.gfycat.com/IllfatedTintedCats.webm
WONDER WOMAN HITS THEATERS WORLDWIDE IN JUNE

The review embargo for Wonder Woman doesn't lift until May 31st 29th, but general reactions I've read online seem fairly positive. The trailers have all looked great, and I've been onboard the "Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman" hype train since she was cast. But while I am looking forward to the film, I'm also keeping my expectations in check. Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst and whatnot. Considering all the alleged shenanigans that went on behind the scenes at WB with Suicide Squad in the aftermath of Batman v Superman's critical response, it's hard not to think that studio execs might have meddled too much with this movie as well. I really, really hope I'm wrong though. If there's one critical darling to come out of the DCEU that's both a box office success and a universal hit among moviegoers, I'd love for it to be Wonder Woman. It'd sure as hell be fitting.

As an aside, if you want to get your feet wet in Wonder Woman lore before you go see the movie, I recommend reading Wonder Woman: Gods and Mortals by George Perez, or watching the 2009 animated film that's loosely based off Gods and Mortals, which just got a "commemorative" re-release on blu-ray/digital this month. Either or, both are really good! :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This movie looks awful. The promotion going on for so long and so heavy points towards the studio knowing it is bad and hoping for a big opening before everyone tells everyone else how much it sucks.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Waltzing Along posted:

This movie looks awful. The promotion going on for so long and so heavy points towards the studio knowing it is bad and hoping for a big opening before everyone tells everyone else how much it sucks.

Actually, there's been quite a lot of talk that the movie hasn't been promoted heavily enough. So this is a weird, weird thing to say.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Looking forward to this one. And that's a great looking OP, teagone.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Looking forward to this one. And that's a great looking OP, teagone.

Same.

Bought my tickets the day they went on sale.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The real question is... how would this movie look in color?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Optimistic and looking forward to it. I support casting and hopeful for a good story.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

And that's a great looking OP, teagone.

Thanks! Figured I'd give it a little "oomph" since I haven't made one in a while, and also because it's Wonder Woman :allears:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Waltzing Along posted:

The promotion going on for so long and so heavy points towards the studio knowing it is bad and--

Wait a minute... Those two things aren't connected at all! BULLSHIT ARTIST!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

There's not enough promotion, that means the studios know it's bad and are ashamed of it!

Wait, I mean, there's too much promotion! That means the studios know it's bad and are trying to trick people!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
First Goldilocks watched the Papa Bear's ad campaign and said, "This campaign is too long!" Then, Goldilocks watched the Mama Bear's ad campaign and said, "This campaign is too short!" But then, Goldilocks watched the Baby Bear's campaign and said, "This campaign is ju-u-u-u-st right!"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't get why people are complaining it took too long to start promotion on Wonder Woman, the first commercial was a year ago, at the end of BvS!

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
I'm really excited for Wonder Woman, and I think it might be my most hyped movie this year behind Valerian. I trust Patty Jenkins even though I've never seen anything by her. Honestly the thing I'm looking forward to most is the Wonder Woman theme popping up throughout the film.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sir Potato posted:

I'm really excited for Wonder Woman, and I think it might be my most hyped movie this year behind Valerian. I trust Patty Jenkins even though I've never seen anything by her. Honestly the thing I'm looking forward to most is the Wonder Woman theme popping up throughout the film.

Why do you trust Patty Jenkins then?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I'll be there opening night. Gonna be hard to top Guy Ritchie's The Rogues Of Sherwood Versus The Guy Off The Molly Hatchet Album Cover for gratuitous slow-mo and fantasy CGI, but I believe Jenkins can do it.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I really hope this movie is good but I'm having trouble getting over the fact that Gal Godot delivers half her lines like a 70's Italian actor reading English phonetically.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Catfishenfuego posted:

I really hope this movie is good but I'm having trouble getting over the fact that Gal Godot delivers half her lines like a 70's Italian actor reading English phonetically.

That's a feature, not a bug.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I wonder how they'll fit her name into the movie. My guess would be war propaganda in the vein of Captain America that somehow sticks, but I'd also be OK with no one in this or any movie to come ever utters the phrase "Wonder Woman".

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

I wonder how they'll fit her name into the movie. My guess would be war propaganda in the vein of Captain America that somehow sticks, but I'd also be OK with no one in this or any movie to come ever utters the phrase "Wonder Woman".

some injured dude in a trench, "my god... what is she doing?! does she think she's some kind of WONDER WOMAN?!?!?!?!?"

or after deflecting bullets in no man's land:

same injured trench dude "SHE'S LIKE SOME KIND OF WONDER WOMAN!"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Probably a newspaper publication headline like "She's a wonder!" or maybe "She's the 8th wonder of the world! Wonder Woman!" after word gets out how she stormed no man's land into the fury of bullets and mortar fire without getting hurt.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Diana is confronting the villain, who explains his plan, but she's confused why she would do something like that.

"Why do you wonder, woman?"

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Grendels Dad posted:

Diana Prince is gonna have a press conference where she'll first deny it then see Tony Stark in the audience wink and she'll go "I am Wonder Woman." And then Tony will smirk at Bruce and head out.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Steve Trevor: What's the 'WW' stand for?

Diana: It's not a 'WW.' On my island it means 'Martha.'

Steve: Well, here it's a 'WW.' How about... Wonder *grenade explodes*

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I don't like Gal Gadot's performance as Wonder Woman (she's got the look, though), but I'm hoping this ends up good.

I really don't care for Henry Cavill's Superman and I still enjoyed MoS.

The trailers make Wonder Woman look like a more "traditional" summer blockbuster and I don't know if that is good or bad. Do they have a date for when they lift the review embargo/host a press screening?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think May 31st is when it lifts

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't like Gal Gadot's performance as Wonder Woman (she's got the look, though), but I'm hoping this ends up good.

I really don't care for Henry Cavill's Superman and I still enjoyed MoS.

The trailers make Wonder Woman look like a more "traditional" summer blockbuster and I don't know if that is good or bad. Do they have a date for when they lift the review embargo/host a press screening?

Gatts posted:

I think May 31st is when it lifts

Embargo lift date is in the OP :negative:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

teagone posted:

Embargo lift date is in the OP :negative:

I have failed you Teagone.

You can lead a poster to a good OP, but you cannot make them drink.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/GalGadot/status/865295905821306880

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
The other DCEU movies so far do not inspire much confidence. I still expect my friends to drag me along to see it. At the very least I hope her ridiculous theme plays for as much of her screentime as physically possible and it might turn out to be their best movie yet.

Grendels Dad posted:

I wonder how they'll fit her name into the movie. My guess would be war propaganda in the vein of Captain America that somehow sticks

That'll be tough to fit in with the scene in BvS where Batman tries to look her up.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Thanks for this, I was able to snag tickets for me and my girlfriend. Kinda weird that they opted to put the screening for this in Hoboken instead of somewhere in NYC, but shorter trip for me anyway.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

That'll be tough to fit in with the scene in BvS where Batman tries to look her up.

He just didn't know the right search terms. Nobody claimed he was the world's greatest detective.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I don't think this is even come close to Catwoman with Halle Berry.

So this movie is gonna be like Kong Skull Island if Kong left the island to be Captain America?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Collider rounded up a chunk of spoiler-free twitter reactions from movie bloggers/critics. So far, seems like they all agree it's the best DCEU film and the one fans have been waiting for.

http://collider.com/wonder-woman-reviews/

[edit] Don't mind Anna Klassen though.

Critic doesn't realize Snyder has both a story and producing credit on WW. :rip:

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 19, 2017

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Drifter posted:

Why do you trust Patty Jenkins then?

I literally have no idea, but I feel like people praise Monster quite a bit, so I'm inclined to trust her with this. :shrug: The trailers have shown a lot of good stuff and I really like Gal as Wonder Woman and I have yet to find a DCEU movie I don't enjoy, so I'll probably like it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

teagone posted:

Collider rounded up a chunk of spoiler-free twitter reactions. So far, seems like most agree it's the best DCEU film and the one fans have been waiting for.

Critic doesn't realize Snyder has both a story and producing credit on WW. :rip:

To be fair, Stan Lee has both a story and producing credit for every Marvel movie and I doubt he did much of either. They give those credits out like candy.

I'm kind of wary of the fact that the reviews all say the best things about Wonder Women are:

1) It's empowering for women

and

2) It's not "depressing" like the rest of the DCCU.

Weak plot beats, stories, editing, and character arcs were the problems with the other DCCU; not too much depression. And #1 is great and all, but saying that it is the BEST aspect of the movie is kind of a damning with faint praise situation.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

To be fair, Stan Lee has both a story and producing credit for every Marvel movie and I doubt he did much of either. They give those credits out like candy.

I'm kind of wary of the fact that the reviews all say the best things about Wonder Women are:

1) It's empowering for women

and

2) It's not "depressing" like the rest of the DCCU.

Weak plot beats, stories, editing, and character arcs were the problems with the other DCCU; not too much depression. And #1 is great and all, but saying that it is the BEST aspect of the movie is kind of a backhanded compliment.

Perusing Twitter more, a lot of critics seem to have really enjoyed the chemistry between Pine and Gadot. Common critique I'm reading is a weak third act, but the build up is solid. And most are praising WW's character.

[edit] Also, tbh I'd think Zack Snyder would be more involved with the production of a movie than Stan Lee would. Extending a producing/story credit to Lee on MCU films seems more like a courtesy really.

[edit 2] More twitter reactions, still spoiler free http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-re...dium=socialflow

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 19, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

teagone posted:

Perusing Twitter more, a lot of critics seem to have really enjoyed the chemistry between Pine and Gadot. Common critique I'm reading is a weak third act, but the build up is solid. And most are praising WW's character.

The VF and THR critics both said that the first third was weak and didn't mention the last act.

I want this to be good, but I feel like some people are taking the wrong lessons from the failure of some of the DCCU movies. I'm not even a huge fan of the DCCU outside of MoS, but when more than half the initial impressions make sure to mention that they "learned to fix the DCCU by not making it depressing this time!" I get a little nervous that they didn't fix the actual issues.

I think the fact that this is a Patty Jenkins flick and they have a new creative team for this one might be the reason everyone says it "feels" different and that could be a good thing. I'm very interested in the full reviews.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

teagone posted:

[edit] Also, tbh I'd think Zack Snyder would be more involved with the production of a movie than Stan Lee would. Extending a producing/story credit to Lee on MCU films seems more like a courtesy really.

Yeah it doesn't surprise me that the dude who introduced the character in his film and is directing her in the third movie she will be in (second this year) would be at least marginally involved just for the sake of continuity.

Stan Lee gets a credit because he had a hand in creating most of the characters and is the face of Marvel and they want him to cameo in all the movies.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I am going to be disappointed if Wonder Woman doesn't fight any of those rolling death wheel things from the old Justice League cartoon episodes where she fights in WWI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I am going to be disappointed if Wonder Woman doesn't fight any of those rolling death wheel things from the old Justice League cartoon episodes where she fights in WWI.

I have never seen the cartoon and now I want someone to post an example of this.

• Locked thread