Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I'm fully aware that this is going to make me sound like a whiny rear end in a top hat, but I'mr really not looking forward to re-litigating the "how terrible is BvS" issue once Wonder Woman comes out and is much more everyone's bag.

Like it's going to take all of my willpower not to respond to everyone on the internet saying "finally, a good DCEU movie" with "i'm sorry you have bad taste".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm fully aware that this is going to make me sound like a whiny rear end in a top hat, but I'mr really not looking forward to re-litigating the "how terrible is BvS" issue once Wonder Woman comes out and is much more everyone's bag.

Like it's going to take all of my willpower not to respond to everyone on the internet saying "finally, a good DCEU movie" with "i'm sorry you have bad taste".

I'm trying so hard not to respond to Alisha Grauso on twitter (editor-at-large for Moviepilot, a site I sometimes write clickbait articles on for kicks) because she claims the worst parts of Wonder Woman had Zack Snyder's fingerprints all over them. I suppose she had her Snyder detector on at maximum to know exactly when and at which point in the movie that was influenced by Zack Snyder himself. I'm guessing it was all the slow motion bits.

Someone did call her out on that in another tweet, and then she went into full defensive mode bringing gender into the issue... :munch: Can't wait till the embargo on full reviews lifts.

[edit] Can't stop reading twitter. All the positive reactions are encouraging, and I'm struggling to hold firm on keeping my expectations in check. But if the full reviews are all glowing, then poo poo, Ima go full loving fanboy.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 19, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have never seen the cartoon and now I want someone to post an example of this.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

teagone posted:

I'm trying so hard not to respond to Alisha Grauso on twitter (editor-at-large for Moviepilot, a site I sometimes write clickbait articles on for kicks) because she claims the worst parts of Wonder Woman had Zack Snyder's fingerprints all over them. I suppose she had her Snyder detector on at maximum to know exactly when and at which point in the movie that was influenced by Zack Snyder himself. I'm guessing it was all the slow motion bits.

Someone did call her out on that in another tweet, and then she went into full defensive mode bringing gender into the issue... :munch: Can't wait till the embargo on full reviews lifts.

[edit] Can't stop reading twitter. All the positive reactions are encouraging, and I'm struggling to hold firm on keeping my expectations in check. But if the full reviews are all glowing, then poo poo, Ima go full loving fanboy.

Snyder influence is easy to detect, just check if every character has rock-hard abs. Yeah, even the British comedy relief lady.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/EW/status/865257566837911554

EDIT:

Boy, the Wonder Woman tag is a riot

https://twitter.com/CloudMG07/status/865400875220557824

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 19, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm looking forward to seeing this. It'll also be interesting to compare and contrast. The critics and I's tastes seemed to have diverged quite a long time ago so it'll be something.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jimbot posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing this. It'll also be interesting to compare and contrast. The critics and I's tastes seemed to have diverged quite a long time ago so it'll be something.

Are you a twenty-something self-styled nerd with a lib arts degree and the willingness to write a review for 50 dollars?

Yes: have I got some perspective for you!
No: have I got some "perspective" for you!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Are you a twenty-something self-styled nerd with a lib arts degree and the willingness to write a review for 50 dollars?

Yes: have I got some perspective for you!
No: have I got some "perspective" for you!

Hey man, I haven't seen the word sociopath yet, so things must be OK. That or there isn't a scene where Wonder Woman looks troubled at the society's response to her showing up.

One thing I'm really interested in seeing is the portrayal of the Central powers in the film.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have never seen the cartoon and now I want someone to post an example of this.

It didn't look as cool as the various iterations of it in the comics, but it was a crossover with the Blackhawks and they were fighting a bunch of War Wheels.

Here's one panel from one of the more "epic" battles from the comics where several wheels were defending a massive base.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

biracial bear for uncut posted:

It didn't look as cool as the various iterations of it in the comics, but it was a crossover with the Blackhawks and they were fighting a bunch of War Wheels.

This is, of course, WW2, not 1.

Also, holy poo poo that 'chinese' guy.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Unkempt posted:

That particular cover is, but I couldn't find a good image of the first appearance of the thing online.

It's all screwed up because the "wheel" was a recurring machine that does go back to WWI (someone rebuilds it/adds to it/makes a bunch of them or something) in the comics.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Unkempt posted:

lol

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

50 second action clip. :stare:
https://twitter.com/timgonzales/status/865739833695666176

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Those first 30 seconds were not great, but I really dig everything from the table kick and afterwards.

The rifle smash and the oomph on the table kick were awesome.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Nap Ghost

Its good but not holy poo poo good but quite good.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Looks good but I think Zack Snyder spoiled me with Faora and every single fight involving a Kryptonian in Man of Steel. Ever single thing they did had force behind it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This movie looks fine but the but in the trailer where the chick tells WW what her job is and WW is like "where I come from we call that slavery" is pretty dumb. Secretaries get paid.

Also it's going to be funny watching SU avatar people on Twitter have to reconcile Gal Godot being pro-IDF with her also being the first big female superhero.

fadam fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 20, 2017

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

fadam posted:

This movie looks fine but the but in the trailer where the chick tells WW what her job is and WW is like "where I come from we call that slavery" is pretty dumb. Secretaries get paid.

Snrrk, I hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Is Wonder Woman a capitalist? 2 hours 21 mins of furious debate, locked after the cinema staff told me to stop yelling at the screen.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Snrrk, I hope someone got fired for that blunder.

It's not as hosed up as having the same rib make two different xylophone sounds but its close.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gatts posted:

Its good but not holy poo poo good but quite good.

I got my start reading comics with Wonder Woman. Seeing her come to life on screen like that is definitely "holy poo poo good" for me. I gotta calm down though and not watch anything else and maybe read one or two reviews when the full embargo lifts.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It kind of reminds me of the difference between 300: Rise of an Empire and 300.

Which is to say, it's absolutely not bad by any stretch of the imagination. If anything, Jenkins is even doubling down on Snyder's style but even further exaggerating its comic dimensions. Like, that scene is really funny. The part where all the guys just look at each other thinking, "Well, I guess we'll just wait for the action scene to be over" is like something out of RoboCop '14.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Bunch of interviews with the cast and producers

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-TWU-mY1K16m2Ur2VPSzdDuc7bqp4czm

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

fadam posted:

Also it's going to be funny watching SU avatar people on Twitter have to reconcile Gal Godot being pro-IDF with her also being the first big female superhero.

Yeah left wing people have never had to deal with potential or actual first women x being right wing. Plus Israel has never used women in the past to soften the image of the IDF so this'll be a totally new scenario.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The modern day framing arc is that exact same action scene that was posted above, except it's a Palestinian school Wonder Woman is carving through.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Dan Didio posted:

The modern day framing arc is that exact same action scene that was posted above, except it's a Palestinian school Wonder Woman is carving through.

There'd be more explosions than in a Michael Bay film in that case.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Yeah left wing people have never had to deal with potential or actual first women x being right wing. Plus Israel has never used women in the past to soften the image of the IDF so this'll be a totally new scenario.

Yeah, it's definitely not a big deal that the first big female superhero to get her own movie supports apartheid.

People got mad at Jeremy Renner for making bad jokes because he's "supposed to be a role model" lmao

fadam fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 20, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

teagone posted:

All of the DCCU is going to be an expanded inverse of the Ant-Man online debate. If you liked it, it was clearly Edgar Wright in Ant-Man, and if you hated it, it was clearly Zack Snyder in the DCCU.

For instance: Edgar Wright obviously gave us all of the Luis dialog and Zack Snyder clearly choreographed Enchantress' "dance" scene.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I'm sure WW will be fine but there's something about a superhero fighting in a real life war that just seems dumb to me.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Gyges posted:

For instance: Edgar Wright obviously gave us all of the Luis dialog and Zack Snyder clearly choreographed Enchantress' "dance" scene.

As an internet faux argument as far as inspiration goes, I kind of get what you're saying, but Wright actually had nothing to do with Luis' scenes...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

As an internet faux argument as far as inspiration goes, I kind of get what you're saying, but Wright actually had nothing to do with Luis' scenes...

That was the point he was making. Wright gets credit for parts of Ant-Man he had nothing to do with.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Yaws posted:

I'm sure WW will be fine but there's something about a superhero fighting in a real life war that just seems dumb to me.

Superheroes fighting in a real life war is almost the origin of superheroes.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

ImpAtom posted:

That was the point he was making. Wright gets credit for parts of Ant-Man he had nothing to do with.

Ah ok, I kept reading that like, did he?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm sorry you have bad taste.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry you have bad taste.

His only bad taste is in the people who think BvS is a bad movie that he allows around him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Drifter posted:

His only bad taste is in the people who think BvS is a bad movie that he allows around him.

So do you live in an isolation tank or something?

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

gently caress off Lurdiak.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jutsuka posted:

gently caress off Lurdiak.

:tipshat: Ok.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is this revisionist "BvS was good, actually" history new or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

You can gently caress off too.

• Locked thread