Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

mister magpie posted:

wait, Zeris mods goons in platoons, everything makes sense now.

his co told him he had to go over the trench into cspam to defend america's honor or he would be court martialed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Zeris posted:

Guess who im talking about

ur posting

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the most honorable thing i troop can do is commit treason

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mister magpie posted:

wait, Zeris mods goons in platoons, everything makes sense now.

lmao

their old current events thread used to be a goldmine of racist chuds postin brown people getting exploded

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
In my experience whistleblowers do it because it's the right thing to do, not because they are fetal alcohol syndrome retards from Oklahoma angry that enlisting in the army wasn't as exciting as their recruiter promised, who then brag about it on internet chats for maximum cool points

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lmao

their old current events thread used to be a goldmine of racist chuds postin brown people getting exploded

yup

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Zeris posted:

In my experience whistleblowers do it because it's the right thing to do, not because they are fetal alcohol syndrome retards from Oklahoma angry that enlisting in the army wasn't as exciting as their recruiter promised, who then brag about it on internet chats for maximum cool points

In my experience the military thinks anything up to and including literally slaughtering entire villages of farmers in southeast asia or the middle east is a lawful order unless they get caught with their pants down. QED she's a whistleblower and even if she had srs she'd still have bigger balls than yours.

mags
May 30, 2008

Zeris posted:

im glad you found a place where you can finally tell people what to do

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Zeris posted:

In my experience whistleblowers do it because it's the right thing to do

so like are you talking about your experience as a whistleblower, or one of the people who gets paid to put burlap sacks on their heads and electrocute their balls

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

My ball size, yes yes, the real issue

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Wait, I was in the army and now I'm making GBS threads about it on the internet, I'm confused why you're not lauding me as a hero

mags
May 30, 2008

go yell at some people for not having in-regs haircuts and rub one out in your office

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

youre being a very protective baby

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Zeris posted:

Wait, I was in the army and now I'm making GBS threads about it on the internet, I'm confused why you're not lauding me as a hero

Your laughing about the army is inconsequential anecdotal poo poo that doesn't raise the question of why the US is allowed a blank cheque to randomly invade countries in the world, what system it's intended to uphold and just how violently it upholds it. It's folksy nonsense that ultimately acts as if the force that's been contributing to crushing the aspirations of countless countries under death squads and napalm bombings is just this great family that tries to do good but fails innocently while the giant involved "accidentally" "stumbles" "despite itself" towards yet another war thanks to its garbage allies, garbage politicians and garbage leadership. It barely scratches the surface of the toxic culture of jingoism it's built upon and the chestbeating nonsense about how much every american owes your fat rear end.

Agnosticnixie has issued a correction as of 18:35 on Jul 12, 2017

mags
May 30, 2008

you're the one calling people concerned about possible war crimes being a "cult of retards" so

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Further proof that everyone in the army should really kill themselves.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

im pretty anti war crimes tbh

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I like Chelsea because she's making nasally nerdlinger manlet Ben Shapiro very very angry by responding in nothing but emojis and positivity. Plus if she ever needs to escape him she can just go on a roller coaster ride.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Zeris posted:

so why havent u locked up every living us prez? citizen arrest

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Just going to throw out that soldiers became virtual celebrities during the Russian Revolution when they started executing their superiors.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Zeris posted:

I'm anti war crimes but socially anti-whistleblower. the problems are bad, but knowing about them is just as bad.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

haven't been in c-spam in a while

does it really have a moderator now who confuses being called a torturer with, weirdly, a dig on the size of his balls?

I don't understand the internet anymore

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Peanut Butler posted:

does it really have a moderator now who confuses being called a torturer with, weirdly, a dig on the size of his balls?

I believe that Zeris is a traveler from afar and has come to the lands of C-Spam seeking truth and enlightenment.

*is floating two feet above the ground with legs crossed*

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Peanut Butler posted:

Ehh that came up on the previous page, regardless though if this is your threshold for understanding the internet then I am truly sorry

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Ahahaha you joined the army voluntarily

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Zeris posted:

lol that's nice, too bad Manning isn't a whistleblower

Yeah she is.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Peanut Butler posted:

cspam is alt right now

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Zeris posted:

Ehh that came up on the previous page, regardless though if this is your threshold for understanding the internet then I am truly sorry

I made the mistake of leaving my PC for more than six hours and coming back online just reads like a bunch of lackadaisical dingdongery

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

consumed by normies posted:

cspam is alt right now

ummmmm that died with Cobain tho

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

My kokoro wish is for advancing technology and shifting generational mores to make long-term operational security more and more difficult for imperial bureaucracies due to continuous leaking, and Chelsea is a vastly better figurehead for those hopes than Assange or Greenwald.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zeris posted:

Guess who im talking about

the system you sold your body to only cares about lining the pockets of the rich with the lives of the poor, my dude

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
*extremely vet voice* Military recruiters aren't predators preying on desperate kids with lies of escaping poverty

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i protected your freedom by blowing up other exploited kids half a globe away

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
yeah in gip we're chill, laid back, cool vets. oh yeah anyone who breaks the rules is a loving deviant who should be tortured to death in a literal oubliette

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I loving Love The Military Industrial Complex

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Bad: Showing how America is vile by revealing how their troops reduced a bunch of innocent Iraqis and a journalist into paste with a helicopter because you think the army is a boring hellhole meant to make you into a murder bureaucrat and won't even pay for your drat transition.
Good: Supporting the mothafuckin troops on a board claimed by irony leftists

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Pomp posted:

*extremely vet voice* Military recruiters aren't predators preying on desperate kids with lies of escaping poverty

I don't read much of GiP but I cannot remember ever seeing anyone defend recruiters, or indeed, the decision to enlist.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Hmm let's ask Chelsea herself:

quote:

"I am sorry that my actions hurt people. I'm sorry that they hurt the United States. I am sorry for the unintended consequences of my actions. When I made these decisions I believed I was going to help people, not hurt people. ... At the time of my decisions I was dealing with a lot of issues."

Furthermore, the leaked materials weren't particularly helpful or necessary to prove that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were complete and utter wastes of lives and money. That fact is plain and obvious for all to see. Not sure why you would assume anyone with time in the military is likelier to defend those wars. It's the other way around.

Also to be a whistleblower, I believe, you have to:

-be taken seriously (e.g. receive a phone call in reply) from a major media organization like the NYTimes or WaPo (she wasn't)

-use the system in place, with very real laws that really are there to protect whistleblowers, through the inspector general. The army has one. People use it. (she didn't)

Manning has a lot of admirable qualities, and brave is definitely one of them, but smart is not, and possessed of the demeanor and integrity necessary for a term like "whistleblower" is definitely not one of them. She leaked, got away with it, then got caught by bragging about it over IRC while also getting catfished by Assange.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
She's a whistleblower and you wouldn't give a poo poo about the war crimes if they weren't leaked because military culture treats every drat atrocity involved as either an accident or a legal order carried out bravely for the safety of red blooded americans, so spare us the offended vet routine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Zeris posted:

Also to be a whistleblower, I believe, you have to:

-be taken seriously (e.g. receive a phone call in reply) from a major media organization like the NYTimes or WaPo (she wasn't)

-use the system in place, with very real laws that really are there to protect whistleblowers, through the inspector general. The army has one. People use it. (she didn't)

Manning has a lot of admirable qualities, and brave is definitely one of them, but smart is not, and possessed of the demeanor and integrity necessary for a term like "whistleblower" is definitely not one of them. She leaked, got away with it, then got caught by bragging about it over IRC while also getting catfished by Assange.

This is some scottsman-rear end poo poo. A whistleblower is anyone who leaks out of moral impulse (attempting to "blow the whistle" if you will) regardless of your opinion of their intelligence or effectiveness. It isn't a medal with a committee checking if you met the standard for it.

• Locked thread