Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Jordan7hm posted:

The fact the game is on Friday and not Saturday @ 3pm est is huge for the Pens. Ottawa is all about that Saturday matinee

I don't know if I've ever seen the Penguins win a game before dinner that didn't happen outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

Screw that! Engellund, Ferrence, and Scuderi are all UFA's. I. Sure the pens can land at least 3 of those guys.

JR prefers lovely veteran puck movers not lovely veteran defensive dmen. Someone like Hainsey is the type of guy he loves.

Bring us all the Bret Hedicans and Frantisek Kaberles

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jordan7hm posted:

The fact the game is on Friday and not Saturday @ 3pm est is huge for the Pens. Ottawa is all about that Saturday matinee
Does this mean that Game 5 is Sunday? Because that would be great since I want to play bar trivia and not have to have a really frustrating to watch game distract me.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

Does this mean that Game 5 is Sunday? Because that would be great since I want to play bar trivia and not have to have a really frustrating to watch game distract me.

Yes it is

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

it's almost like, crosby doesn't seem quite himself after getting brained by niskanen

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Brass needs to wait another six, seven seconds before letting that shot go, just to make sure everyone's in position and ready for it.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Oh cool. Call a slash that happens on every loving dump in. Thanks ref.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
lol EK whack Rawney twice. It's almost as if ref'ing is completely arbitrary bullshit.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Look Around You posted:

So do the pens take a run at shattenkirk this offseason? I mean they need to do something about their depth at D behind Letang and (to a lesser extent) Schultz.

With their, what, like $34 of cap space? Shattenkirk is gonna cost $6M/year minimum

Also Jultz is a free agent too so welp.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

rex rabidorum vires posted:

lol EK whack Rawney twice. It's almost as if ref'ing is completely arbitrary bullshit.

Let me remind you Evgeni Malkin got away with roughing after every single loving whistle last period

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

yes.... yesss.... :frogon:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jultz is going to cost a pretty penny. If they can get Shattenkirk instead even if it costs 1-2M more and they have to give more term, that's probably a good decision

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Godinster posted:

Let me remind you Evgeni Malkin got away with roughing after every single loving whistle last period

Lol what? Shoving a dude is roughing now?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

So at what point does Sullivan actually consider just playing two or three forwards as defensemen just to get someone back there that can competently move the puck

It's not like they can do much worse in their own end than Cole And Friends

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Lol what? Shoving a dude is roughing now?

Punching them in the head sure is.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Jultz is going to cost a pretty penny. If they can get Shattenkirk instead even if it costs 1-2M more and they have to give more term, that's probably a good decision

What kind of D-man do the Pens need? Bet they could fleece Tanev from Vancouver if they wanted to try it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Crosby status: Still Crosby

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
5 more incoming.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
will this talk about the narrative re: kessel/malkin lead to any self reflection by cbc?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

So at what point does Sullivan actually consider just playing two or three forwards as defensemen just to get someone back there that can competently move the puck

It's not like they can do much worse in their own end than Cole And Friends

Was that Juri Slegr that played O and D? I think it might have been someone else. Nice tip from Sid.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JawKnee posted:

What kind of D-man do the Pens need? Bet they could fleece Tanev from Vancouver if they wanted to try it.

they need someone who can get the puck up to the forwards and present a legit threat from the point. Shattenkirk would be a great fit

Also boo crosby

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

:lol: Methot that was baaaad

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

it's almost like, crosby doesn't seem quite himself after getting brained by niskanen

making this lovely paint was more entertaining than the Pens have been tonight

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Was that Juri Slegr that played O and D? I think it might have been someone else. Nice tip from Sid.

Federov. So good one of his coaches (Babcock? I meant Bowman, who it was) thought he could win a Norris if he wanted to play D

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

they need someone who can get the puck up to the forwards and present a legit threat from the point. Shattenkirk would be a great fit

I see, yeah Tanev is about as threatening as a pre-teen on the blue line

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

:ohdear: It's twice as bad as the worst lead in hockey

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

5 more incoming.

like, in the series?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Federov. So good one of his coaches (Babcock?) thought he could win a Norris if he wanted to play D

There was someone that the Pens had that did it in the mid to late 90s I want to say.

Edit: I would like it noted they were mostly bad at both. But those Pens teams weren't exactly good.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

JawKnee posted:

The kind that aren't our 10th string.

I think our defense is pretty much what we are going to have next year. Our best hope is that Letang decides he doesn't need any additional bionic parts and stays healthy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I would be legit curious about Crosby playing 28 minutes as a defenseman, it would be more interesting than anything else that's going to happen this series

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Two dudes I'd be happy to not see take the ice again are Hainsey and Kunitz. If we re-sign either I'm gonna be pretty miffed I tell you what

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Ian Moran. That's who I think I'm thinking of.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

There was someone that the Pens had that did it in the mid to late 90s I want to say.

Edit: I would like it noted they were mostly bad at both. But those Pens teams weren't exactly good.
Derrik ENGaland (however it was spelled) played winger upon occasion.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Two dudes I'd be happy to not see take the ice again are Hainsey and Kunitz. If we re-sign either I'm gonna be pretty miffed I tell you what

Have to imagine Hainsey is gonna retire, but Kunitz is Sid's binky and will probably be back

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Ginette Reno posted:

Hainsey will be back, I think. Kunitz at minimum maybe?

E: I actually didn't realize Hainsey was that old, maybe he will retire?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

Chris Phillips was played as a forward for reasons nobody understands

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

yeah but lovely punchmen always do that. They're only D insofar as you need to have them on the ice for punching once in a while.

Unless you're calgary and need a top pairing guy.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
a lot of really crappy players would play forward or defense. which is kind of ridiculous because its a lot harder to hide a 12th forward than a 6th defenseman. belak played both. john scott.

i remember early in his career the senators played phillips at forward. and then they used borowiecki at forward for some reason.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

i remember early in his career the senators played phillips at forward. and then they used borowiecki at forward for some reason.

That reason was "He's not a great defenseman but he might make a useful hitting winger"

He didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

It's a shame Doumolin can't play like 30 minutes a night. Carter has been pretty good as well, but no goals so not particularly relevant.

• Locked thread