Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

You're making me want to play this game again and my Wii U is unplugged in favor of the Switch and I'm too cheap to shell out for the Steam version (plus the port seems to have mixed reviews anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Well the steam summer sale is in like a month or so.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
How's everyone feeling about the "flow" of the optional vs mandatory? I'm doing my best to grab whatever's on the way, or occasionally going out of my way to grab anything that I know will be a massive timesaver, so that I don't end up with hour-long videos that are just pure cleanup right at the end.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

BioEnchanted posted:

How's everyone feeling about the "flow" of the optional vs mandatory? I'm doing my best to grab whatever's on the way, or occasionally going out of my way to grab anything that I know will be a massive timesaver, so that I don't end up with hour-long videos that are just pure cleanup right at the end.

It works well I think. Getting done what you can to save time later is probably a good idea. The Lego games have a problem of not enough unlockables and secrets being frontloaded so it's a good idea to get at least some of it out of the way.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

The overall flow is fine. If I could offer one criticism is your commentary largely consists of just narrating what's you're doing on screen. "Now we're going over here to push this widget and build this dodad," etc. It's not bad, but it's not terribly engaging either. I don't know what I could suggest in its place, and feel free to ignore this if it's too much of a pain in the rear end to do differently. Lord knows it's hard to carry a video all by yourself and I'll still keep watching regardless.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think that that's largely because enough of the areas/plot hasn't been seen yet to talk about without spoiling aspects of the game. As the story reveals itself I'll be able to discuss the games strengths and weaknesses in more detail, along with favourite characters etc. Thanks for letting me know though. Also this game has so much stuff to do it's probably inevitable that I'll just run out of things to talk about, but I'll do my best.

I think a good solution will be to talk about what I like or dislike about certain gold Brick objects that are particularly novel/boring/hard to find/pain in the rear end to pull off. That might fix the Flint Lockwooding.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 31, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
Yeah, offering opinions on the game is a lot better

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

At least I know now only 5 episodes in. Would havew sucked to find out that I was making that mistake in episode 49. :v: And heck you got a sneak peek at "interesting" commentary with my accidental architecture derail at the Dojo.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Part 6 - The (Former) Prisoner. 10.3% Complete

In this episode we infiltrate Chan Chuang's gang and meet one of my favourite characters - I have done my best to keep the saying-what-I'm-doing to a minimum, instead discussing placements and where they succeed and fail in my opinion. Hopefully it's more interesting commentary.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

I just noticed that "Disguise boxes" are literally phone booths to call the police. It's obvious in retrospect, but the fact that they have legitimate purpose in a city and "Disguise" is kinda secondary for them is nice.
Meanwhile, Lego City Undercover: teaching children that illegally invading privacy of others is fun and just.

Blackwell sounds like quite nice guy. If mad from possibly housing Rex?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Because of the technical issues, I haven't had the chance to talk about the game itself but Lego City: Undercover feels like a child-friendly Sleeping Dogs which fine by me causeTravis' antics in Hong Kong made for one of the funniest LPs I ever had the pleasure of watching.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Phone booths used to be *the* place Clark Kent changed into Superman. He could change clothes fast enough in there that privacy wasn't a concern. Although how nobody ever connected Clark disappearing into one and Superman coming out, I have no idea.

The phone booths in this game are obviously a reference to that.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

achtungnight posted:

Phone booths used to be *the* place Clark Kent changed into Superman. He could change clothes fast enough in there that privacy wasn't a concern. Although how nobody ever connected Clark disappearing into one and Superman coming out, I have no idea.

The phone booths in this game are obviously a reference to that.

Clark Kent was so unremarkable that no-one npoticed him going into phone booths.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oh god I got to the bit after the car chase and a memory came rushing back! I did horribly on the chase. I failed it almost instantly. Got it on the second try but yeesh. I am horrible at driving in Saints Row games and apparently that carries over here.

Anyway, when Chase says, "Because I am awesome at driving :smug:," it felt like the game was making fun of how horribly I did at the car chase.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Part 7 - Planes, Trains and Automobiles - 11.5% Complete

We continue our infiltration of the tyrannical Chan Chuang, and learn of a concrete lead that we can follow up on in time.

If this one has any audio issues, like the sound getting blown out at some point in the commentary, please let me know where it is so I can fix it and reupload as I think at one point I accidentally clipped my audio but cannot find where it was. Editing may have fixed it, but if it's still there let me know.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

No tearing. But quite empty in content update, it feels. Mainly because car parts. Hopefully, busting out would be more interesting.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I figured I'd show the entire routes at least at first. When the layout of the city becomes familiar I'll probably start cutting from the start line to the finish lines on the thievery challenges as those routes can the particularly long, but I was worried that cutting too much out this early may cause confusion on the ways certain areas cut together, especially as the airport was a relatively new area that has not been seen before this video.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Well, I don't disagree with showing the city. But while most things look very nice on camera, the car bits are most likely better to watch than to play.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

DId you mean that the other way around? BTW more happens in the next few parts :). This last one was a "between plot points" kind of thing.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 3, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
It's not so much that Wei forgot that he was a police officer but rather he just didn't give a drat. Keep in mind that he agreed to go undercover to fulfil his own personal vendetta with the Sun On Yee which was a frequent point of contention for his higher-ups.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just edited the next video - gonna be about 20 minutes but plenty happens in that time, so don't worry.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Part 8 - The Peril of Parking Violations - 12.3% Complete

This should be the last one which is mostly chauffeuring for a few videos now - we rescue Moe DeLuca and ingratiate ourselves into the biggest Gang in Lego City, the Mafiosa of Pappalardo's.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Is there a Space Centre in this game at all???

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

NHO posted:

Is there a Space Centre in this game at all???

Examining the silhouettes of the still-locked character types may give you a clue here.

LEGO set spotting is one of the game's highlights. A lot of them are out of production now (like the trains we're seeing), but almost all the buildings and many of the plot locations are based on genuine sets from the time of the game's release. Sometimes they're inspired "in spirit" - the dojo is a very recognisable nod to the Ninjago line, and there's a nice location coming up that's a callback to a Lego range you really wouldn't expect to see in a game like this.

I was particularly impressed by the tiny smart cars you see driving around randomly; those were originally "cargo" that came on the pallets of a freight train set!

EDIT: The location where Honey's parents own a hotel is also a reference to a now-defunct Lego range.

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 4, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I'm still hoping for a Medieval Times Lego game at some point with all the knights, dragons, and pirates sets. Those sets were my favorite when I was a kid.

And Lego LOTR and Pirates of the Caribbean weren't enough btw. I want something original.

[watches video]

Ah, Mikey Spoilers. Fun guy. Real good to play poker with, if you're looking to beat him and piss off the whole table. At least he always pays when you have dinner out, one way or another. Just make sure you're caught up on all the latest TV shows and movie franchises (or not, if you're too lazy to watch them like me).

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 5, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Part 9 - First time for Everything! - 13.4% Complete

Here we have the inevitable sewer level, but it rewards us with a fun sequence afterwards!

(Give it time to hit HD, apparently it's not quite there yet)

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Lego games have always been good about keeping the humor clean which is a great strength for them. The Muppets have always been good about that as well though their humor style is more absurdist in nature.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I love the humor in this game. Your description of it is spot-on. This game is just so darn charming. I love it.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

You left second ATM in bank unbroken. :(

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

NHO posted:

You left second ATM in bank unbroken. :(

I'm on a Chaotic Neutral playthrough :haw: (It doesn't count towards anything)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Part 10 - Mikey Spoilers needs to Read the OP! - 15.4% Complete

In which the premonition provided by the Oracle Mikey Spoilers comes to fruition!

Also we get a lot of stuff, and I need to employ a more interesting/advanced editing technique to get around a tiny part of the game that is entirely tablet based!

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Chase, you are not seal and criminals aren't balls, stop playing with mooks.

But you are Cosmonaut now, Chase!

And stealing Moon Buggy? You just bankrupted police department forever.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The space centre is a wonderful series of homages. Photos of 80s-era astronauts as Our Glorious Pioneering Forebears, riding an on-site monorail...I had a permanent grin on my face throughout.

The ferry's a real set too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Part 11 - Introducing: Time Saver Alpha! - 16.0% Complete

We rescue Forrest Blackwell, and get a few more items afterwards, including the biggest time saver in this playthrough.

(Give it time to process for the HD version, I'm going to work soon, and it's only just uploaded.)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:aaa: I never found that Super Color Gun cheat! poo poo. That's what I get for being lazy about exploring and collecting!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Part 12 - In Big Trouble in Little China - 20.0% Complete

We rescue Natalia from Chan's Scrapyard, but in doing so we get in the Chief's way and need to face the consequences..

By the way, the chief mentions putting his 'protege' in charge - he's never mentioned again. You never ever see him in the game, ever.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So I'm noticing a couple of things with the commentary audio after watching a couple of the videos.
One is that it comes off louder than it might need to be. It sounds a bit tinny from time to time as a result.
Also that there is the occasional pop as you breathe into the microphone.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

So I'm noticing a couple of things with the commentary audio after watching a couple of the videos.
One is that it comes off louder than it might need to be. It sounds a bit tinny from time to time as a result.
Also that there is the occasional pop as you breathe into the microphone.

I've been trying to clear that out, the balancing is tricky, and there are some pops that are less audible than others so they get missed. I'll be more steadfast in future to try to avoid that kind of thing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

For the mic breathing and such I'd just suggest moving it a bit further away from your mouth which I think should solve most of that.
But I think the volume is the bigger niggle here for me because it seems to spike quite a bit which is annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

For the mic breathing and such I'd just suggest moving it a bit further away from your mouth which I think should solve most of that.
But I think the volume is the bigger niggle here for me because it seems to spike quite a bit which is annoying.

I'll try that, although I am using a headset so it'll take some fiddling to get a better distance. I'll do my best to fix it for the next part.

• Locked thread