Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

NHO posted:

Is there a Space Centre in this game at all???

Examining the silhouettes of the still-locked character types may give you a clue here.

LEGO set spotting is one of the game's highlights. A lot of them are out of production now (like the trains we're seeing), but almost all the buildings and many of the plot locations are based on genuine sets from the time of the game's release. Sometimes they're inspired "in spirit" - the dojo is a very recognisable nod to the Ninjago line, and there's a nice location coming up that's a callback to a Lego range you really wouldn't expect to see in a game like this.

I was particularly impressed by the tiny smart cars you see driving around randomly; those were originally "cargo" that came on the pallets of a freight train set!

EDIT: The location where Honey's parents own a hotel is also a reference to a now-defunct Lego range.

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The space centre is a wonderful series of homages. Photos of 80s-era astronauts as Our Glorious Pioneering Forebears, riding an on-site monorail...I had a permanent grin on my face throughout.

The ferry's a real set too.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
More set-spotting - the museum is full of references, thinking about it. The pirate ship is a blend of several pirate sets over the years; the bit with the robot submarine is a nod to the Aquazone range. That rail station BioEnchanted commented on is also a real set, that's why it's unusually detailed (although for some reason it's green where the original set is red), as was the Emerald Knight-with-a-K. That was a gorgeous set and it's nice to see it in "action".

The bit that really made me laugh was the ruined castle. It's been redone in stone and brickwork, presumably because Lego only wanted them to show sets that were currently in production, but it was recognisable as one of the old 80s castle sets!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Delvio posted:

That was the most adorable torture scene I have ever witnessed.

The best part is that they set up for it during the Starsky and Hutch parody. LCU is pulling off a lot of cop show parodies with more aplomb than one might expect. The developers remembered that the parody still has to be good in its own right, and so far the results are pretty darn good.

(The crane is also a real lego set).

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Are those meant to be proto-Blacktron spacemen in that cutscene? I burst out laughing at that distinctive black spacesuit and helmet design, and of course their glorious leader's name...

I mean, it's a long shot, but I presume the developers on a Lego game are total Lego nerds, and they've tossed in enough other obscure references to past Lego sets (that monorail and the posters in the space centre especially).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
What was the announcement we cut off halfway through the Rex Fury fistfight? I figure that was rather important information to understand why Blackwell was suddenly in an escape pod.

In fact the finale had a firm sense of being heavily cut for time. Nice falling setpiece, oh yes, and the rocket was beautiful, but clunky.

(Did we launch that cow earlier or something?)

• Locked thread