Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

The previous thread was archived, so I'm making a new one!

ExecuDork posted:

I am sending my Canon AE-1 around the world.

Here's the camera, with the two lenses also included:

Camera Around the World-3 by Execudork, on Flickr
50mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/3.5. Both have 55mm filter threads.

If you want to participate, here are the rules:
1. Get the camera, shoot a roll of film, develop the film, and post the pictures here.
2. Ship the camera to the next person.

You'd get the use of the camera for free for however long it takes you to burn a roll of film, but you'd be responsible for the cost of sending it to the next person as well as any costs associated with the film. If this all goes to poo poo and I lose the camera I won't be ruined, but it'd be a pretty big dick move to just say "free camera!" and keep it. Depending on your local market, I'd say the value of the camera, lenses, and case totals no more than about $100-$150 - which is practically free in photography dollars! In any case, if you need to declare a value when sending it, I think $100 would not be considered dishonest.

We'll make the arrangements for who gets the camera next here, by consensus agreement, my capricious and unpredictable mood swings, or by decree from SoundMonkey. Without piling too much responsibility on somebody else, I'm leaving the right to shut this whole thing down if it gets stupid to SoundMonkey. I'll pay for shipping the camera back to me if such a fate awaits (unless some jackass sent it to Antarctica or somewhere).

I'm going with this AE-1 for a few reasons, despite the fine suggestions in the "No Advice" thread.
1. That 80's semi-professional feel (two different prime lenses! solid piece of brass! big noisy winder crank!)
2. More of a conversation starter, if you choose to actually talk to people when you shoot
3. Full manual control. No autofocus, no Program mode. The AE-1 has shutter priority mode, but that's it. The meter is simple and robust.
4. For the AE-1 specifically, this is one of the cameras that put Canon in the game. In the late '70's (if Wikipedia is to be believed), professionals used Nikon and everybody else fought it out in the weak consumer market. Canon pumped out a few million FD-mount brass boxes (and L-glass), and ended up with a reputation good enough for significant numbers of professionals to switch.
5. Shipping costs will be significant, which is why I'm very much advocating "slow-and-cheap" over any kind of speed. International economy, which is about one step up from slapping a note on the box and tossing it in the sea, could take weeks to months to cross from continent to continent, but will cost the least.
6. The case is hard plastic, and I will be certainly be requesting people personalize it when it passes through their hands (try not to ruin its structural integrity; stickers are very welcome).
EDIT: This Quiet Reverie posted this comment on my Flickr:
You should have dorkroomers sign the case.
I think this is a good idea.
7. I think of photography as a way for people to show each other something of their world. Show me your world.

If you want to arrange in person delivery, please go ahead, but I want this thing to go global. If you are taking a trip and want to hand off the camera at your destination, that's cool, too.

On that note, I will be travelling to Hobart, Tasmania, Australia in late October, and returning to Canada in late February. I'd be happy to carry the camera with me either direction, if that's how things work out.

Here are two more pictures of the camera in its case:

Camera Around the World-1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Camera Around the World-2 by Execudork, on Flickr

EDIT: Serial numbers
Canon AE-1 s/n: 928999
Canon Lens FD 50mm 1:1.8 S.C. s/n: 701772
Canon Lens FD 35mm 1:3.5 S.C. s/n: 140228

Combination Lock: 1-5-1 (until some postal worker, fedex minion, or customs official cuts it off)

Bonus! I've started a Tumblr to accumulate the photos that result from this. People who shoot with the camera can email the pictures directly to the tumblr as posts, I will send out the email address to people as they announce they have received the camera.

Maximum file size is 10mb; each email is considered one file by tumblr, so you might have to break your upload up into multiple posts to keep the total file attachments under that limit.

The camera has been spotted in Portland, Oregon and is now in the hands of cyberpunk goose. There's no longer a lock on the case, but the camera and both lenses are in good shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I'm not sure if the tumblr is alive anymore, or where we should post anything, so I'll just put my images here. During my stint with the camera after it came from Australia, I took it to a few bars.

After it leaves Portland, who's next? :)

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If its free around the end of November I'll bring it back to its true home.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
If no one wants it I'll take it.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

the full record, as shot

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I am available to take it as well

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
For reference the Tumblr url is/'was http://dorkroom-ae1-world-blog.tumblr.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I'm up for taking part in this. I'm currently based in Slovakia but also travelling around the right-hand end of Europe generally

• Locked thread