Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
repeating
Nov 14, 2005
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/chris-cornell-dead-soundgarden-52-10445617

Soundgarden and Audioslave rocker Chris Cornell has died at the age of 52, it was announced today.

His rep Brian Bumbery called the death "sudden and unexpected" and said his wife and family were shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
drat. Very talented man. RIP

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
rip black hole sun man :(

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

loving sucks man. I am super bummed about this.

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

Ratmtattat posted:

loving sucks man. I am super bummed about this.

Ya, me too :(

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I lived, slept, and breathed Soundgarden records when I was young, this loving sucks.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
This is awful. One of the best shows I ever attended was Soundgarden at Red Rocks.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

gently caress. Chris Cornell is my all time favorite musician and my teenage years were spent listening to hours worth of Soundgarden and Audioslave. I am so happy I got to see Soundgarden live when they reunited a few years ago. God damnit, I'm opening my best scotch tonight and listening to my entire collection. RIP :(

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

One of the best shows I've been to was Chris Cornell solo and he just ripped through his entire career. Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, Audioslave and his solo stuff. Solid 2.5 hour performance. Soundgarden was my favorite of the big grunge bands since they were a bit heavier than their contemporaries. Cornell's voice basically got me accustomed to screaming in metal bands.

Such a crushing blow. Down on the Upside was probably my favorite album and that summer I listened to it all the time. Full blast - even got yelled at to turn it down when out camping. :3: I was only 13 though - what do you expect? gently caress.

From last night. :(

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

man I was obsessed with Badmotorfinger and Superunknown in high school. still love those albums a lot. really sad to hear this

also he was in the middle of what seemed like a pretty successful tour, wtf

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 18, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Oh dammit. This hits me hard. I thought he was doing pretty well. Haven't been this shaken about a musician death since Peter Steele.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm so loving stunned and sad. Chris is my favorite singer of all time. Soundgarden are a top 5 band. I'm so thankful I got to see them.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Anyone who hasn't listened to the last Soundgarden album should do it, it's pretty drat good. The first track/lead single is kinda garbage but the rest of it is a logical next step from Superunknown / Down On The Upside. Maybe not quite as good, but it's close.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
From updated Pitchfork article:

http://pitchfork.com/news/73600-chris-cornell-dead-at-52/?mbid=social_twitter

quote:

Police told the New York Times that a white man whose birthday matches Cornell’s was found on a bathroom floor at MGM Grand with a band around his neck, but would not confirm the victim’s identity.

poo poo.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Last weekend and this weekend, St. Louis alt-rock station The Point (105.7 FM) held their annual Pointfest concerts. Usually, it's just one, but this time they split it into two days so it didn't have to start at 10 AM and run until 11 PM. Because I've done those marathons, and let me tell ya... it's exhausting. But at least the soda is only $8 for 32 oz. (A tallboy'll cost ya $11.)

This past weekend's headliner was to be Korn, but their singer got sick, so they cancelled. Breaking Benjamin, the penultimate band, played an extended set instead. It was good, but it wasn't Korn, and a lot of people chose to go to the first Pointfest because of Korn specifically. But... I mean, whatcha gonna do? Lots of great bands were tearing up the main and side stages, so it was cool. Not great, but cool. I chose this weekend's Pointfest initially, specifically because of Soundgarden, one of my top three all-time favorite bands. My wife decided that we should go to both shows, and I relented.

So........ 1st show: headliner cancelled, singer sick. 2nd show: headliner cancelled, singer dead?? That escalated quickly! There's a Way-Back Pointfest for us old timers later this year. What's going to happen to the singer of that headlining band? Whole family murdered? Home town destroyed by an asteroid? HOW MUCH HEADLINING BAND SINGER BLOOD WILL BE ENOUGH, POINTFEST?? HOW MUCH?????

(sigh) This is just lovely. lovely for the band, lovely for the family who undoubtedly didn't see this coming and now have to wait and see if it was a random health thing or if he went full Scott Weiland, and of course it's lovely for the fans. It's lovely for Chris Cornell, who had a lot of music left in him and now won't be able to get it out. But mainly, I hope his family does OK, and I hope that this wasn't a weilandesque death.

RIP. The frontman of one of the bands that got me into playing music as a teenager is tracking a record with Killie McGee up there.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Does this mean Eddie Vedder wins Survivor: Seattle?

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
Still remember buying Superunknown when I was 11-12 at Ann & Hope (New England goons might remember this store) and Down on the Upside when i was 13-14 at Sam Goody in Faneuil Hall on a class trip to Boston. I remember the first time seeing the Cochise video before the album came out late night when I had MTV on in the background and was like whoa is that Chris Cornell and Tom/Tim from Rage? Didn't get into Badmotorfinger outside of what was played on the radio and Ultramega OK until later but they're amazing.

I don't listen to Soundgarden that often any more but they were a huge influence on my tastes as an adult. Glad I got to see them live a few years ago.

I didn't even know this concert existed, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gv_0FNGifM funny to me how Chris still looks like such a rockstar and Mike looks like a dad.

RIP Andy/Layne/Chris and everyone else

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kevyn posted:

Does this mean Eddie Vedder wins Survivor: Seattle?

Mark Arm, Tad Doyle and Mark Lanegan are still kicking

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

man this just leaves eddie vedder as the last frontman alive of the rock bands that were really huge during my formative years. i feel fuckin so old.

and his death might've been suicide :smith:

gonna go listen to badmotorfinger on my drive this morning

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
Don't forget about Buzz

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Henchman of Santa posted:

How the gently caress did Tad outlive all these dudes

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Mark Arm has Hepatitis from his time as a junkie, Tad's still the size of a house and Lan's a wild card, so we'll see....

mmartinx posted:

Don't forget about Buzz

Buzz spent very little time in Seattle and moved before the scene got hot. He's lived most of his life in SF and LA.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Buzz spent very little time in Seattle and moved before the scene got hot. He's lived most of his life in SF and LA.

Yeah I don't consider the Melvins body of work part of the same "scene" necessarily but Gluey Porch Treatments was a huge influence on the "Seattle sound" or grunge or whatever you want to call it. Plus he was friends with Kurt and I feel like every time they need someone to talk about how exploitative subpop was he's always there to talk about it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

apparently it's being investigated as a suicide and the last song they did in Detroit last night was In My Time of Dying

(which the media is of course calling a "Zeppelin cover" :rolleyes: )

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I was never a huge Soundgarden fan but I liked some of their stuff and some of my friends were huge fans of theirs and Cornell and I got exposed to his stuff through them. I was kind of surprised how hard this hit me but thinking on it, Cornell (and Soundgarden) were one of the musical pillars of my youth in many ways even though I was never directly a fan. It's something I really took for granted in many ways.

gently caress. I hope not. :(

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
Is the social media revisionist history of Scott Weiland being like, a contemporary of Chris Cornell bothering anyone else a bit? Like first we lost Scott and now Chris. I dunno even when I was a kid I felt like Core was just Nirvana/Alice in Chains worship and they didn't really do anything interesting until their third album.

I always appreciated how the grunge bands were all interwoven with side projects and guest appearances on albums, and STP was never a part of that in any fashion. Anyone interested should check out this book on AIC it's obviously a really sad read with what happened to Layne but it talks about how close a lot of these guys were coming up together, IIRC Chris Cornell was one of the first ones that made it to the hospital when Andrew Wood died https://www.amazon.com/Alice-Chains-Untold-David-Sola/dp/1250048079/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495122548&sr=8-1

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They were both pillars of early 90s alt rock but I do think if you weren't from the PNW you shouldn't be considered part of that scene

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Goddamn this is awful. I saw them in back to back shows in SF and Sacramento when they opened for NIN. Absolutely killer show. I was absolutely stunned when I heard the news this morning.

Cranking Badmotorfinger all day.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mmartinx posted:

Is the social media revisionist history of Scott Weiland being like, a contemporary of Chris Cornell bothering anyone else a bit? Like first we lost Scott and now Chris. I dunno even when I was a kid I felt like Core was just Nirvana/Alice in Chains worship and they didn't really do anything interesting until their third album.

that's not a recent/social media thing, STP was marketed that way from the 90's onward, though in my memory it was mainly Vedder that Weiland was constantly compared to

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
gently caress.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/865261143731949569

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

gently caress. That's awful.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Man, this is just terrible.

While they never quite reached "favorite band" status for me Soundgarden was still one of those bands that was right there when I was dreaming of getting out of my tiny town and then later when I got into college. This poo poo was like... formative for me.

Years later in late '99 when I moved to Seattle I saw a dude coming out of the bank and thought "wow, that guy totally looks like Chris Cornell" a minute later my girlfriend comes running out and goes "holy poo poo, I was in line next to fuckin Chris Cornell!"

I'm way more sad about this than I would have guessed.

Seattle indie station http://kexp.org is going all in on his music today and they're pulling out old vinyl and all sorts of stuff. Take the streaming archive back to 6am Pacific because their morning DJ is the greatest, but it sounds like it's continuing into the afternoon.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 18, 2017

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

This sucks. I'm gonna learn a few soundgarden songs today as tribute. :(

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Goddammit Chris why did you have to go hang yourself

I saw soundgarden open for Nine inch nails here in Austin and it was a pretty good show, Chris looked a little like poo poo but I felt like that was the look he was trying to go for. Anyway gently caress man this sucks. I guess I'm gonna listen to badmotorfinger now.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I got my first tattoo the day superunknown came out, it was playing the whole time it was getting done.

ugh
man

:smith:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

gently caress me, this is lovely. Gonna go listen to all my favorites. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5BXYKl-YZw

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
In a rare burst of good fortune, we snagged tickets to see Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden together at the Shoreline Amphitheatre. Both bands were awesome, but I was impressed at how much voice Chris had after all these years.

The Day I Tried to Live is one of my favorites.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Hi, I'm here for the sadness.

One of my favorite performers...saw him live 3 times (twice with support band, once just Chris for the Songbook tour)

How would I know that this could be my fate?

Also I feel like the thread title is slightly off the mark, but maybe it is funny or clever or something, who knows!

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

mmartinx posted:

Is the social media revisionist history of Scott Weiland being like, a contemporary of Chris Cornell bothering anyone else a bit?

You are not alone.

I actually feel bad for Cornell that Weiland keeps getting brought up in all the obits. Why not just add anything else that is "90's" and dead? Shannon Hoon! That guy from Sublime! My uncle who died in 1995! The Yo Queiro Taco Bell dog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
STP did have a handful of Soundgarden type songs. Meatplow and Silvergun Superman come to mind.

• Locked thread