Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
rip my great granddad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Homeless Friend posted:

if we were all communist, this'd be real

think about it

джэб????

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

FactsAreUseless posted:

Millions of people died in various purges, fuckups, and general insanity. This isn't to say these things didn't happen in capitalist societies - and still do - just that it's hard to divorce communism from the poo poo that happened in Cambodia, China, the USSR, etc. Of course, it's also hard to divorce capitalism from the slavery, genocides, conquests, etc. all fueled by private enterprise and backed by the state.

it's so hard to divorce capitalism from these awful things that they have successfully done so in many countries around the world

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Condiv posted:

:agreed: capitalism has successfully done many awful things in so many countries in the world

its important to not skip past words when you read entire sentences

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

oh hell yes

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Condiv posted:

changes my views on communism!

good thing nobody is trying to waste time on something dumb like that

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
I'm the black man on the right covered in cum stains

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Venom Snake posted:

I think you of all people would recognize that for all it's faults the Soviets achieved some hella cool science

lysenkoism killed soviet biology dead and its only just began to recover

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

do you think they were practicing Lysenkoism until Putin?

germany hasn't been cracking down on jewish scientists ever since the third reich got defeated but the university of gottingen never recovered as a world centre of mathematics and physics, go figure

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

When you say "Russia has only recently recovered from Lysenkoism," that implies that they were incapable of reading biological journals for decades after they formally ended Lysenkoism. As if they are somehow starting up biology completely from scratch only a few years ago.

yes dude russian science was definitely separated from western science up until the soviet union fell both politically and linguistically and since most modern biology like the entirety of molecular biology has been discovered by the west in that time russian biology has sucked tremendously until recently with all of the massive investments such as skolkovo

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This is incredibly stupid.

watson and crick discovered the structure of dna in 1953. lysenko was not discredited until the 1960s

in the words of the great dissident scientist sakharov who helped restore russian academia: "Lysenko is responsible for the shameful backwardness of Soviet biology and of genetics in particular."

so yeah it kinda seems that you are the incredibly stupid one on this here matter pener

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You keep moving the goalposts around from "Russian biology couldn't recover until recently" to "Russia is only a leader of biology until recently," and now that you've been called out for acting like scientific research in the West and the Warsaw Pact were mutually unintelligible because it's somehow impossible to translate English to a cyrillic alphabet, you've cited the developer of Soviet thermonuclear weapons as if it has anything to do with what you're saying.

lmao engage tankie mode

when did i call russia a leader in biology

who is calling me out? if you're acting like there wasn't a definitive barrier between soviet and western science during the cold war i don't even know what to say lol

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
russian scientists did not really read western journals to a huge capacity and did not publish in them. western scientists did not read or publish in russian journals. the former has remained an enormous problem until the last ten years maybe

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Agnosticnixie posted:

Lysenko was discredited in the 60s already and biology congresses in China and the USSR were already making GBS threads on it in the 50s. The only place where Lysenko held past the 50s was Czechoslovakia and other minor satellites.

buddy here's a review article from 1974 that says lysenkoist thinking was a problem even then in soviet biology

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01044062?no-access=true

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Obviously there are going to be significant barriers in the sharing of research considered essential for the national defense, like nuclear weapons or stealth technology, but Soviet and Western scientists exchanged information on theoretical research all the time. There were multiple Soviet recipients of the Nobel prize in science even.

how many soviet biologists won nobel prizes? i'll wait

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

im sorry you keep owning yourself pener

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Piss de Bundy posted:

tankie memes and tankie music is garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU