Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

CheeseFactory posted:

So apparently kinetic weapons do more damage in PvE and any elemental weapon does bonus damage shield of any type. Matching elements just makes the shield explode.

Oh yes, that means no more search for the loving void fusion rifle to put in my arsenal.

Oh joke's on me: fusion rifles aren't any more secondary weapons.

Seriously though: that removes layers of inventory management (and if poledancers become bladecancer 2.0 everyone will run arc weapons and make them rightfully explode).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Something came in the mail

It's time for a Snacktical Reload

Let's eat the rear end of Destiny 2 guys

Not as buff as advertised I want my money back.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I think Titanfall 2 still has a better pvp trailer than Destiny 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHvoaAAhGno

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

It's the news we've all been waiting for! You can now buy the official Destiny branded Bathrobe and ice cube tray of your dreams!

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

:grin:

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Symphoric posted:

It's the news we've all been waiting for! You can now buy the official Destiny branded Bathrobe and ice cube tray of your dreams!

That white bathrobe is awesome.

And the foundry mug would look boss on my desk.

Edit: Wait, a polyester robe? gently caress. That.

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 9, 2017

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

gently caress polyester, it's like wearing plastic bags instead of something absorbent

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Destiny 2 scented candles :chloe:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I want Destiny 2 branded Corn-Nuts so I can have a load of nuts in my mouth at all times when playing

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

the good fax machine posted:

Destiny 2 scented candles :chloe:

"Gamer funk" and "salty tears" are my favorite smells. "Spilled Mountain Dew" is a little too sweet

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
In memory of the dead PS4 PGS thread I am going with piss and bong water for a gamer scented candle.

texaholic fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 9, 2017

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
http://www.numskull.co.uk/destiny-2-onesie-jumpsuit/

:gary:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Holding out for a Destiny snuggie

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

gently caress. Polyester.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Only the finest fabrics emblazoned with game logos for this body mine

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Apparently this is how Destiny 2's networking is going to work?

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/6s5hbf/how_networking_works_in_destiny_1_and_how_it_will/

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Tl;dr version for everyone

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
For real though that Reddit post is informative and a very good read.

But for all the improvements that appear to be there for the networking infrastructure, there's still a massive and fundamental incongruity between driving the PvP so strongly in the small fireteam e-sport SBMM direction while leaving individual clients as authoritative re:positioning.

Bungie is trying to Square the circle and (imho) they are gonna blow off their foot here.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
no e-sport will ever be successful if they don't utilize server positioning as 'correct', yeah. i legitimately don't understand their thought process. it's like bungie have developed games in an alternate timeline where servers are ancient relics and they can't be used for everything.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
The one unambiguously cool and good thing I took from that article is no more pvp host migrations. You could always tell when the host was getting switched in the middle of a match and it was terrible.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

How long until Destiny MLG matches are broadcast on the Ocho?
Teams being DQ'ed for teabagging.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The one thing I took from that is that redditors think they know a whole lot based on one two-year-old presentation and one simplified Q&A paragraph

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

haveblue posted:

The one thing I took from that is that redditors think they know a whole lot based on one two-year-old presentation and one simplified Q&A paragraph

redditors think they know a whole lot

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
In D2 you should be allowed to shadestep in the farm/tower. Biggest cocktease in D1 was the shoulder charge noise/glow in the tower but not being able to use it to slam dudes around.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

texaholic posted:

In D2 you should be allowed to shadestep in the farm/tower.

Sick futbol goals m8

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
"Hey guys we want to make Destiny 2 viable for esports. But no we're not going to have private matches at launch. No we are not going to prioritize the best connections for fair matches."

When will devs learn that you can't make esports come to your game. You just got to put out the bait (Private servers, CBMM, actual editing tools for available weapons in matches) and see if they bite.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

Ularg posted:

"Hey guys we want to make Destiny 2 viable for esports. But no we're not going to have private matches at launch. No we are not going to prioritize the best connections for fair matches."

When will devs learn that you can't make esports come to your game. You just got to put out the bait (Private servers, CBMM, actual editing tools for available weapons in matches) and see if they bite.

Because bungie know that a small subset of the community have become extremely good at their game. Much better than they ever anticipated. They are doing everything in their power to try and stop this and make things "fair".

SBMM is part of it. But the movement system becoming completely nerfed, lack of abilities and lack of power ammo have done that too.

Private matches would of allowed the good players to find the best weapons, tactics, armor and abilities even quicker.

Every move bungie makes is a move in the direction of 'This is Destiny. Our hug zone. Go away meanies.'.

Seriously. Who puts SBMM in a loving beta?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
No private matches just means that the youtubers with fans that will just do whatever the youtuber wants can force matchmaking to put both of their teams together in a single match. Then the youtubers get to find out "Da best weapons ever" instead of just anyone with a spare friend.

Sorry, do I sound bitter of how Bungie likes to give the already popular youtubers a lot of benefits just for being loyal?

I don't give 2 shits about esports or super competitive games. I just want to shoot dudes and blow them (up) with space magic.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Everyone learns maps and strategies together by playing in the same pool. The entire purpose behind D2 instead of the other choice they considered, endless expansions to D1, is to reset the world to get people into it. Even playing field is part of that sell, I'm all for it because it decks the halls with rear end to spank, and seeing as private matches will probably be coming sooner than later, I'm guessing December with Osiris, it's not really a problem.

Like, cool if people want to show their l33t skillz off in a tournament when 1% of the guns have been discovered, I guess, but the game needs time to heat up, anyway. I mean, it's not there day one but unless e-athletes are the biggest, dumbest, most fickle bitches ever, they'll get over having had a few months to hone their skills before kissing mommy goodbye for their pilgrimage to the Bagel Bites e-Training Camp, or whatever the gently caress those nerds do.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm that nerd. I don't really collect action figures anymore but I got the Light Beyond Nemesis Warlock Mcfarlane figure.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ularg posted:

No private matches just means that the youtubers with fans that will just do whatever the youtuber wants can force matchmaking to put both of their teams together in a single match. Then the youtubers get to find out "Da best weapons ever" instead of just anyone with a spare friend.

Sorry, do I sound bitter of how Bungie likes to give the already popular youtubers a lot of benefits just for being loyal?

I don't give 2 shits about esports or super competitive games. I just want to shoot dudes and blow them (up) with space magic.

That poo poo trickles through the competitive community almost immediately anyway.

There's a reason why by the end of the first day of the beta everyone had a pulse rifle as their man and a fusion as their power weapon.

Slowing down and not releasing the game with private matches isnt going to have the major impact they think it will, its just bad design with the what they feel is the right intentions.

Part of the problem is the lazy video game industry in terms of where they get their feedback and how they reference issues with the game.

Like it or not their crucible design is inherently flawed under the cover but extremely fun and when it works well connection wise is still probably the most fun shooter out there and it deserves a huge part of the credit for the popularity and longevity of destiny1. A whole lot of smug redditors, people on the bungie forums, at times in this thread and game reviewers/journalists like to write throwaway lines about the competitive shouldnt be taken seriously and that pvp players need to relax but it's precisely that community that kept the game in the top 10 viewed on twitch and kept the player numbers consistently high during periods of low content.

I'm not saying they should sacrafice pve or anything to make the pvp great but they have to acknowledge thats what kept their game going for so long.

Shipping with private matches wouldve allowed some tourney play early to help keep those views and therefore what amounts to free advertising of their product high.

I think we'll get ranked and private matches eventually. As said possibly in the first expansion but it strikes me as a little odd the way they seem to be half in and half out wanting to be the next big console esports draw.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I feel like they could make a killing with a 'customize your own guardian' figure site

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

hiddenriverninja posted:

I feel like they could make a killing with a 'customize your own guardian' figure site

Yeah. I got the McFarlane figures pre-ordered but if I could get my own guardian custom made I would do that instead.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

There's a website that has custom made WoW/Minecraft statues and busts that's officially licensed by Blizzard, maybe Activision could get in on that kinda poo poo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Somebody did that for WoW characters but it was real expensive IIRC.

e: lol

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

BlindSite posted:

Shipping with private matches wouldve allowed some tourney play early to help keep those views and therefore what amounts to free advertising of their product high.

My honest speculation, an interview not long ago with some Bungie person high enough to give interviews featured a question about what reward is there for repeat drops. Previously, it was rolls. Since those don't exist, what now? The reply was that they have a great plan that they're testing the implementation of but that it may not be ready for launch.

I think that between release, patches and maintenance, the expansions, upcoming live events, and everything else, they didn't want to add in something to fix and drum up bad press when they can just drop it in soon after and have people excited. Same with private matches, they really want it correct and are giving themselves the time and space to make it wow.

Further, some Activision guy in an earnings call referred to the D2 expansions as being as important as the base game to the experience, or something very close to that. I think that's just the nature of it, that they're wanting to debut functionality to fanfare.

Surely that will draw some D1 comparisons, it not being ready or whatever, but I think the game is plenty ready, they're just staggering some big stuff as design philosophy, and some to impress people with instead of having to deal with 10000 Reddit post about how Bungo shouldn't have stuck in something that wasn't ready, or should have been better.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Guys lay off Bungo it's only their second game they're still learning jeeeeeeeez

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Like I'm glad after breaking free from the MS yoke they did something besides making Halo with the serial numbers filed off but like, did they play games in the meantime? Did they learn things from their experiences making Halo? How far up their own asses did they go in making Destiny I wonder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Like I'm glad after breaking free from the MS yoke they did something besides making Halo with the serial numbers filed off but like, did they play games in the meantime? Did they learn things from their experiences making Halo? How far up their own asses did they go in making Destiny I wonder?

Waaaaay up there Morty