Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

O_P
Sep 4, 2006

Bots ain't nothing but bolts and bling.
I just signed up for the xbone clan.
I haven't raided before, does anyone still do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
are they actually fixing poo poo or just doubling down on the dumb

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
dunno

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I think people will complain about Destiny as long as the dual-primary system and the absurdly long ability cooldowns are in place.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SquirrelGrip posted:

are they actually fixing poo poo or just doubling down on the dumb

They're changing poo poo, whether it fixes anything remains to be seen.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

hiddenriverninja posted:

I think people will complain about Destiny as long as the dual-primary system and the absurdly long ability cooldowns are in place.

Pretty much

Also micro transaction loot boxes and 4 v 4 pvp and losing all of destiny 1 loot

If they fix those things people will complain a little less

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

FishBulb posted:

and losing all of destiny 1 loot

It would be chill if they reintroduced some choice D1 things and and they auto-added to applicable people's collections, like Air Guitar emote. I would be hype to get a few things like that.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

hiddenriverninja posted:

And the movement and TTK. Some endgame improvements and random weapon rolls (or something worth grinding for). Plus what they have already outlined.

Its not beyond saving. But it might be beyond bungies skill or willingness.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

O_P posted:

I just signed up for the xbone clan.
I haven't raided before, does anyone still do that?

I'm eagerly awaiting uploading a gif of all the clan engrams unchecked tomorrow before I head out the door. Don't disappoint me guys.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I’m bored and decided to try out the No Land Beyond and sidearm loadout in Destiny 1. So far I’m playing like poo poo but it feels really good when I do land a headshot.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
My roommate just bought an Xbox One X for his new 4k TV and told me all about Monster Hunter -- I watched for like 10 minutes and was dazzled by the 4k plants clipping through the 4k monsters while he fired random explodey crossbows at some feathery T-Rex. Anyway, I dunno what's up with videogames or what's good anymore, I guess.

This guy already tricked me into spending 30 dollars on PUBG for consoles and now I'm just forever-salty. If Destiny 2 doesn't shape up soon I might take up a new hobby like knitting or contact-juggling.

Divine Styler
Apr 8, 2005

quantum mechanic

Waffle House posted:

You should def still play; we’re all kinds of guys and gals here.

Cheers. A fine lad named KingTotoro invited me to the BDSM clan, which is also called KINK, so I think I’m in the gang now. Looking forward to figuring out what everyone is complaining about.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

AwkwardKnob posted:

My roommate just bought an Xbox One X for his new 4k TV and told me all about Monster Hunter -- I watched for like 10 minutes and was dazzled by the 4k plants clipping through the 4k monsters while he fired random explodey crossbows at some feathery T-Rex. Anyway, I dunno what's up with videogames or what's good anymore, I guess.

This guy already tricked me into spending 30 dollars on PUBG for consoles and now I'm just forever-salty. If Destiny 2 doesn't shape up soon I might take up a new hobby like knitting or contact-juggling.

I just got back into the Division, and it's scratching a few Destiny itches like:

- a bunch of items and power sets to poke at
- lots of stat dials to tweak
- open world to run around in
- shooty missions that require some amount of coordination and planning to execute well
- guns and stuff

However, it is not even remotely scratching these other itches:

- gonzo space magic powers
- being a shooter-first experience
- looking like a rad hell bug wizard

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Divine Styler posted:

Cheers. A fine lad named KingTotoro invited me to the BDSM clan, which is also called KINK, so I think I’m in the gang now. Looking forward to figuring out what everyone is complaining about.

He's a good dude, who is good at guns

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
I feel like Division would of done better as a FPS first, like Destiny.

No loving idea why Anthem is ging down that path too but whatever.

Its just nice being able to actually look at the nice new gun from a strike or whatever.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Divine Styler posted:

Might take a tiny bit. But youll get it.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Even if not admitted aloud in some cases, we incontrovertibly knew very early on that D2 was going to require entrance into Year 2 for it to be fleshed-out and made whole. I admit that a lot of what has happened is lol and that bitching and moaning is where Bungie is gathering some of their new marching orders from, but in general I feel like with that perspective and given the amount of time that has passed and needs to pass for us to complete D2 Y1, the game looks in a genuinely real good place wrt development and direction. TWAB mentions a February update after today's January, and if that pace is kept with small improvements and tweaks, with the larger ones dropping as they're ready, I'm excited, hopeful, and glad.

D2 is a good game and judging it against D1 is a faux pas and definitely not peak current year.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

cvnvcnv posted:

I feel like this thread, and the other to a much lesser degree but still, has voluntarily forgotten a fact about ourselves and this game.

Even if not admitted aloud in some cases, we incontrovertibly knew very early on that D2 was going to require entrance into Year 2 for it to be fleshed-out and made whole. I admit that a lot of what has happened is lol and that bitching and moaning is where Bungie is gathering some of their new marching orders from, but in general I feel like with that perspective and given the amount of time that has passed and needs to pass for us to complete D2 Y1, the game looks in a genuinely real good place wrt development and direction. TWAB mentions a February update after today's January, and if that pace is kept with small improvements and tweaks, with the larger ones dropping as they're ready, I'm excited, hopeful, and glad.

D2 is a good game and judging it against D1 is a faux pas and definitely not peak current year.

Source you're quote's

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It takes over a year to move the slider to "make powers more often"

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

CheeseFactory posted:

I feel like Division would of done better as a FPS first, like Destiny.
No loving idea why Anthem is ging down that path too but whatever.
Its just nice being able to actually look at the nice new gun from a strike or whatever.
3rd person is fun in a "playing with action figures" way. It's fun to make a cool looking character and actually see them doing the cool stuff. In Destiny that happens with supers, but games like Division don't have those so you have to make even small stuff like "hiding behind a car" visually appealing

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Ah yes, expecting a full-price game to at least be mostly fleshed out was our fault. Bungie is just doing their best.

Lol

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
As a seed account I have little to no say in how my character(s) look and must acquiesce to the fashions imposed upon me by my superiors, (Tess, Fenchurch, et al).

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
What the gently caress a fenchurch

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Oh hey those are some low participation numbers

https://destinytrialsreport.com

Will total guardians break 100k? Will PC break 10k? We have 2.5 hours until we find out!!

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

PathAsc posted:

Ah yes, expecting a full-price game to at least be mostly fleshed out was our fault. Bungie is just doing their best.

Lol

No, saying that it became clear the game would need to enter the TTK phase of life to reach the point it should have been to begin with. No amount of deserved piss and poo poo taken from the face of every last Bungie employee, the game is hardly worthy of the extreme hyperbole of it being trash. It's not. D2 is simultaneously good and one of the most disappointing things I can imagine ever happening to a game. But as a good game with the studio working hard and publicly bent over and presenting its rear end for fuckings and constant reassurance their tail is firmly between their legs, things are moving along nicely and I think it's going to be a far kinder comparison to D1 come September.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I doubt you'll get a free gun for apologizing for them totally loving up and repairing things at a glacial pace

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

cvnvcnv posted:

No, saying that it became clear the game would need to enter the TTK phase of life to reach the point it should have been to begin with. No amount of deserved piss and poo poo taken from the face of every last Bungie employee, the game is hardly worthy of the extreme hyperbole of it being trash. It's not. D2 is simultaneously good and one of the most disappointing things I can imagine ever happening to a game. But as a good game with the studio working hard and publicly bent over and presenting its rear end for fuckings and constant reassurance their tail is firmly between their legs, things are moving along nicely and I think it's going to be a far kinder comparison to D1 come September.

Yes the sequel of a game will take a full year to maybe be as good and complete as the first game

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Imho aside from not getting booted from the menu and being able to skip orbit when travelling, the only Good parts of D2 are the Good things from D1 they were probably too rushed or incompetent to strip out.

This is a game that shipped without an ordinal point on the minimap.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also last time I went to the PSN store and bought something the coo expansion was already in the shopping cart and gently caress no I didn't place it there so I don't know what sony/bungie were trying to pull there

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv posted:

No amount of deserved piss and poo poo taken from the face of every last Bungie employee .... the studio working hard and publicly bent over and presenting its rear end for fuckings and constant reassurance their tail is firmly between their legs

moist turtleneck posted:

apologizing for them totally loving up

:thunk:

Calaveron posted:

Yes the sequel of a game will take a full year to maybe be as good and complete as the first game

...............that is what I am saying, yes. The vanilla sequel which is wholly comparable to the vanilla original, after one year, will more closely resemble the original after three years.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

cvnvcnv posted:

...............that is what I am saying, yes. The vanilla sequel which is wholly comparable to the vanilla original, after one year, will more closely resemble the original after three years.
Destiny got roundly poo poo on for being so anaemic at launch and Bungie had to prostrate themselves and make good on the promise of the game by the point at which people had spent $100 on it. You're ignoring the whole part where they already said "we hear you" and it was several years ago.

D2 is the way it is because they hosed up the development, again. They rebooted it a year from launch. Again. You're talking as if the game that launched as Destiny 2 was what they fully intended to release, with the understanding that everybody would know it would take a year to get things to a place where people don't rip every bit of it to poo poo at every opportunity, but it wasn't, they hosed it up.

6 Months from Launch
Bungie1: Guys, we still haven't solved the latency problems with having 12 people in a match
Bungie2: gently caress it, let's just drop it to 8 players, re-do the maps, change all the numbers

Launch
You, a Consumer: Thank you for this bounteous offering of a rushed game

Akuma fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 30, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FishBulb posted:

What the gently caress a fenchurch

Uh clearly you haven't been keeping up on your Eververse lore

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Yeah it's fine to admit you've had fun with D2. Hell even I've had fun with some of it.

But it's a loving terrible game in tone, design and execution, and a lazy mismanaged piece of poo poo cash-in that contains a few of the worst decisions I've ever seen in an AAA title. I'm a retarded poo poo-poster and someone I called exactly what would happen to crucible based on 2 days of the beta, yet somehow Bungie is shocked, shocked I say, that things are going as they are.

Honestly the best hope now is that other studios can take some lessons from this wreckage and apply them to their similar games.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Akuma posted:

Destiny got roundly poo poo on for being so anaemic at launch and Bungie had to prostrate themselves and make good on the promise of the game by the point at which people had spent $100 on it. You're ignoring the whole part where they already said "we hear you" and it was several years ago.

D2 is the way it is because they hosed up the development, again. They rebooted it a year from launch. Again. You're talking as if the game that launched as Destiny 2 was what they fully intended to release, with the understanding that everybody would know it would take a year to get things to a place where people don't rip every bit of it to poo poo at every opportunity, but it wasn't, they hosed it up.

6 Months from Launch
Bungie1: Guys, we still haven't solved the latency problems with having 12 people in a match
Bungie2: gently caress it, let's just drop it to 8 players, re-do the maps, change all the numbers

Launch
You, a Consumer: Thank you for this bounteous offering of a rushed game

No, I'm not ignoring anything. You're being hilariously dramatic, tho.

Facts:
A) Bungie hosed up and has a history of it.
B) Destiny 2 isn't nearly as bad as it's painted.
C) Most people very early after release acknowledged we likely have another TTK situation on our hands.

I said all this already, and nothing you said goes against it. Learn to read, retard.

You're over here droning on about history, to no end, while my entire message was about looking at the present and the future, to the end of a far more agreeable game. Perspective, today is a good day and there are more good days coming.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Destiny 2 is actually worse than it's been painted. Way worse.

It's like a rotten onion. There are layers of poo poo people haven't even really started piling on because there are more important things to worry about.

The next big thing will be people finally dog piling the atrocious writing and ridiculous tonal changes. It's already happening on Reddit.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Rude.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Legs Benedict posted:

Monster Hunter is indeed great but I can’t shoot dudes with magic powers in it so

Warframe is great and you have four supers and can use them all the time.

C411
Jun 22, 2004
STUPID
DICK
The problems Destiny 2 has are very different from Destiny 1 Year 1.

Destiny 1 Year 1 was a bad/anemic game built around great ideas/design goals.

Destiny 2 is a bad game built around bad ideas, I don't think a Taken King equivalent can fix it. If they've learned lessons from this it would almost be best to go dark until Destiny 3, building that with a better foundation.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

C411 posted:

The problems Destiny 2 has are very different from Destiny 1 Year 1.

Destiny 1 Year 1 was a bad/anemic game built around great ideas/design goals.

Destiny 2 is a bad game built around bad ideas, I don't think a Taken King equivalent can fix it. If they've learned lessons from this it would almost be best to go dark until Destiny 3, building that with a better foundation.

This is exactly it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Destiny 2 is actually worse than it's been painted. Way worse.

It's like a rotten onion. There are layers of poo poo people haven't even really started piling on because there are more important things to worry about.

The next big thing will be people finally dog piling the atrocious writing and ridiculous tonal changes. It's already happening on Reddit.

Disagree but I respect the opinion.

The game can be both better and worse than depicted. On one side, the undiscovered layers and things early reviews glossed on or got wrong. And those are very true. At the same time, Reddit and plenty of other places have called it one of the worst games ever with the worst pvp ever, blah blah blah, and none of that is even remotely true. Expectations from D1's entire life, expectations from what people know Bungie capable of, expectations from personal experience with the game, and hopes, people are taking it harder than necessary.

I pick up D2 and instantly recognize it as Destiny. It's an inferior Destiny I actually prefer some things to over the original, but bad Destiny all the same. Very bad Bungie. Without any of those expectations, it would be viewed as being potentially great but merely good. It is fair to remove those from the equation?

Maybe not but that's a deliberate choice I make, because I love the franchise and do want to be happy and hopeful about a game I already enjoy. I know what a bucket of cunts Bungie is, I know a Lord of the Flies scenario is very really happening within their walls, and I don't think any of them deserve high-loving-fives, either, but there's plenty of vinegar pouring. Adopting honey, the little dabs of improvements are drawing my flies.

And that's all my message has been about, the perspective that we knew this was going to be a trek. We can be unhappy about it until we reach the destination, or kick back at each little oasis. No praise, no apologies, just enjoying what we get until we can start to forgive.