Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm kind of amazed how little they've changed the UI. It also looks like Bungie recorded the footage with a pretty crappy bitrate, so we'll have to wait for streamers and youtubers to upload something proper themselves.

I hope they swapped the map editor so we won't get the map rehash problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

quote:

Is it still peer-to-peer in terms of the multiplayer? Are there dedicated servers?

It is a complicated typology. We do not have dedicated servers for Destiny 2 on PC.

Because one of the issues with Destiny 1, people complained about the tick rate that was being used, right?

Yep.

That led to a lot of trading and stuff, and that was where they kind of identified that that’s where some of the lag was coming from. Is there going to be a different tick rate?

I would say that, today, we don’t have a good answer for that, meaning we’re not talking about the server side of things at this time. I can tell you that we have had conversations and we’re aware of—we try really hard to listen to the community and hear what their concerns are, and we try to take those and turn those into the plans.

~ http://www.pcgamer.com/how-bungie-plans-to-make-destiny-2-on-pc-legit-on-day-one/

This is about PC, but it sounds like tick rate and netcode (still) aren’t a major priority from my pessimistic reading.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ufarn posted:

~ http://www.pcgamer.com/how-bungie-plans-to-make-destiny-2-on-pc-legit-on-day-one/

This is about PC, but it sounds like tick rate and netcode (still) aren’t a major priority from my pessimistic reading.
An even more categorical answer:

quote:

IGN: "Crucible tech, specifically Trials of Osiris, you guys know that is one of your premier multiplayer modes. Are we getting dedicated servers?"

Mark Noseworthy: "We are not getting dedicated servers."

IGN: "RIP the dream. Why?"

*long pause of silence*

Luke Smith: "It's just not an investment that we made for Destiny 2, like the uh... I understand there's certainly a desire for it. You know, the smaller team format, although it's one person bigger in the Trials case for sure here, in the smaller team format in general it's easier for us to find tighter matches. And we're also going to rechange the parameters for matchmaking, to refocus on connection quality instead of like Trials win matching. WE're gonna like change the, we're going to change a bunch of parameters to focus on giving people a better network experience."

~ http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1376811 (video transcript)