Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Blind Rasputin posted:

It’s not what the front of your brain wants that keeps you playing. It’s what the tiny spot in the lower middle of your brain wants. Sadly, this is true for many things.

I'm in it for the gun feel and aesthetics, which is my pve time, and the fun of killing people in pvp. I care about drops only so far as needed to satisfy gun feel and aesthetics, as well as making myself useful in whatever I'm playing. And as I know how to play the game and can do so mindlessly, it's also a thing I've aimlessly done tons of just to be doing something as my actual attentions are on other stuff.

Surely the sunken cost of it all factors in, but my playing is quite deliberate. There was an insane compulsion when I first started D1 which was a combo of making up ground with my character and my arsenal, but more so that I was on the shelf with a shoulder injury and I suddenly had an embarrassment of time on my hands and so I applied to the game the same crazy focus and discipline as I do my other pursuits so I wouldn't lose my mind while recovering and rehabbing.

Some claws are in and to varying depths, but it's really not a big thing being mentally above the mind trickery of videogame nerds. I have to imagine most are.

Orv posted:

I KNOW THE SKINNER BOX IS A SKINNER BOX he yelled as he pushed the button for the nine thousandth time.

I'm like 80/20 right now on quitting the game forever come Shadowkeep. It's exhausting to care about and keep playing. Terrific fun at times, yes, but that's a very easily replaced sensation in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Orv posted:

I mean honestly if you're already considering it at that level, at least from what I've learned about how I play video games over the years, you're already out. It might just take a while for you to flame out completely, like it does for me. If you still want to play the game at some later date, or an eventual D3, I'd quit now and just chill with the good memories and wait until the spark strikes again.

I've gone through Destiny slumps before, and prior to content drops, which is why I've been giving this some time to marinate. This time feels different though and I'm probably outtie per your wisdom. :rip:

D3 could intrigue me back but truth told, Luke Smith's idiot write-up actually took the wind out of my sails looking forward. His admissions made me realize the game has hit a wall, that it's too hard for developers to maintain the systems of gameplay they re-implemented so the game wouldn't literally die, and from that it seems so obvious that Shadowkeep is just re-contextualizing things as a distraction from everything being redlined. Half life has been reached. And that's not a complaint that we don't get stronger faster still while the enemy stays the same, it's that super + guns + grenade + melee working together now, it's as good as it's ever can be. Maybe it can be wilder and more exciting come D3 as permitted by better, stronger technologies but as of now, I can't assert that at all. The only thing I have to go on is that the developers have it oh so hard and the reins need a firm pull back at basically all times. Unintended consequence of his ramblings, me gaining these thoughts, but having admitted he hasn't had to clearly communicate that many words and ideas in a very long time- the man in charge of Destiny at large hasn't had to cogently express a lot of ideas in full in such a long time that a blog post pointedly put a spotlight on that fact- I'm forced into assurance that Destiny itself is ready to flame out completely. It might take a while, but :shrug: it seems a done deal.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Calaveron posted:

a miserable boss with a lovely gimmick

Celestial Goldie kills her from full health. Strike is good.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Strikes where you can burn the boss down to 32% health and have him go on a headless, boundary-defying spiteful rampage: BEST

I'm not finding any lies here.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

This excitement for Pinnacle weapons just reminded me that Oxygen is supposed to be real good next season???

*a blood rush to the groin*

Kinda really wanna see that. Sexy gun. Firefly mod + Perfluorocarbon + Vanguard Metallic is :discourse:.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Blind Rasputin posted:

Oh it sure as poo poo does.

You have a moral imperative to put a firefly mod on that gun because it stacks. And a lot.

CoolGuy

My Oxygen, as described, is one of my tippy top favorite D2 guns. I legit will play this stupid game for another year if Bungie makes it a beast out the gate for Shadowkeep.

Hey, are we abbreviating Shadowkeep as SK yet? May we get on that pronto, please?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Congratulations! :toot:

Now stuff it away forever because only assholes with no honor use it!!!! :argh:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

actionjackson posted:

guns are for hurting not helping

if you want to help people do a quest that results in a first aid kit lmbo

No deceptions detected.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

haveblue posted:

Tractor Cannon is a

boop-propelled hoverboard.

https://i.imgur.com/JSO5ipN.gifv

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Daric posted:

It better be Zune Band 3 with Live Tiles and free Groove Music.

Ballmer > Nadella and your announcements are all bad now.

Hair up and square up, bitch.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I have not purchased Shadowkeep.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

xzzy posted:

Anyone that runs bottom tree striker brings shame on these forums.

*Yamdankee bursts through the door with another proud post of match results*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

haveblue posted:

If no one else makes a new OP over the weekend I’ll do it

Moon's haunted.