Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!
The embargo dropped, a lot of stuff is showing up on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!
The consoles may be capped at 30 fps but it looks great, I haven't seen any slow down at least.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

Luminosity Striker pvp play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5reeuarp6g4

edit: skating isn't exactly there but the titan jump is still pretty good for getting around/getting out of the way

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

You fan fire the golden gun now and it owns

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I do think it's a little weird that we didn't see Solar Titan/Void Hunter/Arc Warlock at any point during the reveal. Unless I missed it?

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

They are the same other classes but will be slightly revamped. Just like we've seen for striker and gunslinger.

But even the voidwalker shows up during the gameplay trailer right? So 6 of the 9 subclasses appeared yesterday; I'm wondering if there is a revamp or they're going back to 6 subclasses initially (which would be really weird, honestly).

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

Having read the TWAB, some of the GDC talk on how destiny's networking works, and having watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTH2ZPgYujQ youtube of Blizzard devs talking about overwatch netcode (pre-release), it seems like Destiny 2 networking should be closer to have Overwatch works. I'm not sure I have a ton of faith in Bungie (nor should we), but I feel better about it than I did last week. That being said, I would love this level of transparency.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

It does sound like you won't be able to choose your server, though, so you may still get matched up against people from god knows where.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

xzzy posted:

Which will always be the problem with matchmaking, regardless of what the underlying system is.

Maybe the "fix" is to blacklist any IP not in the continental US on your router. :v:

Well Luke Smith is claiming they're going back to more connection based matchmaking:

Luke Smith posted:

And we’re also going to rechange the parameters for matchmaking, to refocus on connection quality instead of like Trials win matching.

I guess we'll see, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

FishBulb posted:

Choosing your server from a browser sounds like some Pc garbage to me

By choose your server, I mean "choose which region you want to play in," not which specific server. For instance, in Titanfall 2, you can pick which regional data center you want to use.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

CheeseFactory posted:

So apparently there are only 2 modes for PvP for D2. Quick and Competitive.

Quick has control clash wtc.

Competitive has countdown and... elim? Seems odd

Did they say elim was the second competitive mode, or is that just speculation?

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I see, I thought they were intentionally not saying what the other mode was, which made me think it was going to be something new.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

eonwe posted:

can someone give me sorta a run down on what little plot there was in destiny

Vex bad, Hive bad, Fallen bad, Hive and Taken bad, Fallen bad again.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

Legs Benedict posted:

what does this even mean

What does an "actual sequel" look like, is it a VR-only RTS where you cone dudes from orbit

This would be a pretty good Rasputin spin off game.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

CheeseFactory posted:

I hope they bitch and moan about the XIM. Because there is literally nothing that can be done about it.

:getin:

That's not true, Bungie could drop the look speed even lower than it already is. Controller players don't actually use sensitivity over 5 anyway, do they?

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

All I hear with these 6+ sens players is "I am a potato"

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

It depends on the game, but I think for Destiny, the xim is good for people who are much more comfortable with mouse and keyboard. If you were already a good controller player, you probably wouldn't benefit unless you played with it for a long time. This is how I feel, anyway. But I also switched to a monitor at the same time as I started using a xim and it's hard to understate how helpful it is to play on a monitor vs a TV.

I let me friends who've been playing destiny for a while try my setup and it doesn't really help them.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

They got rid of skating but it looks like the titan jump will still be good for moving short distances quickly. Also, am I wrong or did they trim that titan footage so we never got to see grenades or melee abilities?

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

Legs Benedict posted:

pretty sure blink is warlock only now my dude

Yeah, the arc strider perk trees were available, no blink.

edit: I guess the void hunter subclass, whenever it comes out, could have blink.

OdinsBeard fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 10, 2017

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

Sentinel has void wall grenades now.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

elpaganoescapa posted:

Sentinel apparently also has some form of shoulder charge?

As part of the super, otherwise, I don't think so.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

texaholic posted:

https://twitter.com/knowsworthy/status/885530260371943425

That was his reply to a question about nightstalkers, hard to believe they wouldn't mention 3 subclasses at all

I agree. If anything just to stop people from being mad on the internet. "ONLY 6 SUBCLASSES? gently caress YOU BUNGIE!"

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

According to the TWAB all 6 subclasses that have shown up so far will be available in the beta. Top skill path only, though.

This makes me thing they might be holding back the other 3.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

DrNutt posted:

The official Destiny word was only one subclass per class was available for the Beta. ArcstriderPoledancer Hunter, Sentinel Titan, and Dawnbringer Warlock.

Read the TWAB.

quote:

It’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for: The Beta is upon us. No more long lines at events. Finally, anyone who wants to play Destiny 2 will. You’ll get to bash enemies with your Sentinel’s Shield, flip through the air while wielding your Arcstrider’s staff, or rain fire from above with your Dawnblade.

You’ve read first impressions and watched videos, but this will be your first true taste of what it feels like to be a Guardian in a new world. In addition to the new hotness, there will be some familiar (but updated) subclasses for you to play as well. The Beta will include Striker, Gunslinger, and Voidwalker with all of their Grenades, Melees and the top path of their abilities unlocked. The bottom paths will be saved for you to experience in the full game.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

I saw one of the lead designers respond to someone on Twitter who was asking about the missing subclasses:

https://twitter.com/knowsworthy/status/885530260371943425

This made a lot of sense once they announced you'd get 6 subclasses in the beta. They'd want to hold something back, and subclass talent trees isn't enough.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

They did not expect this backlash. The crucible guys were probably in their twitch streamer/starfucking bubble and thought this would be a big old hit.

If I wanted to play counterstrike I'd play counterstrike.

It's funny how much the reveal glow wore off, I feel like a lot of streamers who raved about it at the reveal have some issues now. It's a different game when you can play more than one round of crucible an hour.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

Waffle House posted:

It looks, so far, like we will be launching with 2 elemental subclasses per class, instead of my conjectured three, although I think MirandaClass mentioned something about an overt implication that we'd get the third one before too long. In my mind, that equates to a metered approach to storytelling.

No mention of Big Team Battle anywhere, but I remain hopeful for the immanentization of both of these wishes.

The Survival mode looked pretty fun, that Altar of Flame map was HUEG. I can't source the quote, but theoretically we're launching with 10-12 crucible maps.

Someone on twitter asked Mark Noseworthy about the game only having two subclasses and he said something along the lines of "We're not going to show you everything before the game is out, we want to have the fun of discovery as a community." That sounds an awful lot like there may be 3 subclasses at launch, but:shrug:

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

Insane Totoro posted:

Whoa wait what is his name?

Steve Titnoble

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-1_9-z9rbY

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

Lotta nerds triggered by Disney itt

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

Tei posted:

Alloid (from Horizont) talk a lot of cutscenes and it don't make the game better. Many people just don't like shy/dry Alloid personality. A mute protagonist is just a option in game design.

Aloy is one of the better written/acted protagonists in video game history, so maybe the problem is you.

Destiny is a different type of game, obviously.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

dr disrespect called he wants his dumbshit gimmick back lmao

I thought this was John Goodman cosplay.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

Also you can talk about how great the Dodgers are with Somera and I

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Also I'd like 2 #3s and a frostee

Please pull up, we'll have your total at the window.

Edit: goddamn it.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

SunAndSpring posted:

lmfao someone at Bungee's getting fired, this poo poo is branded with that dumb Kekistan poo poo anime Nazis from 4chan love

I've been using these because they looked kinda cool and matched the Veist Field Scale shader and now I'm annoyed.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

BlindSite posted:

lol if you think a game developer from seattle who has and maintains a job slipped this in deliberately.

Calling it now, faction bullshit is going to be the new ironbanner, you're going to commit to one and play competitive or quickplay repping a faction and get loot for rank ups. Also I think Trials of the 9 coinciding with Xur isn't going to be some dumb link, I think he's going to be the guy you see for your passage which will take 7 wins with a free mercy and you'll get a strange coin which nets you the weeks loot.

I lived and worked where bungie's office is, in Bellevue, and poo poo gets rough fast out there. It's not hard to believe bungie employs some dumbass maga chuds.

Edit: not hard to believe at any software company, really

OdinsBeard fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 12, 2017

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

Tei posted:

For whatever reason, they made the conscious decision to make a lot of the visual identity of the game generic corporation flags and generic art style. And I don't like it a bit.

The Last City is infested by that, and all the Daito Corporation emblems. It steals personality to the game.

Many emblems look like somebody invented a compression format that poo poo on color ranges even more than JPG, and then applied recursively all night to the same color pattern.

It was a problem in Destiny 1, and it got fixed with the Raid emblems, that had something for it, and used actual nice colors and colors with good contrast.

The Kek armour is just a page from the same book. If anything it looks like that soccer (or was canadian ice footbal?) team colors.

That it match the keke guys is just a "happy" accident and they deserve the mistake for using these horrible boring emblems / color patterns.
I have read somewhere that the artist that created these sort of emblems is quite good and the in-game version has colour palette wasted by some shader thing, but I don't believe it.

Then maybe make sense to make the average emblem you loot boring, so you are excited when you get a actual fun one. But still.

TL;DR:

Give us a black shader. pls.

No, thats not the kek flag. You are victim of some version of paredolia because the art is soo generic that it enabled it to happen.

Your brain is programmed to see faces, not alt right imagery. It's not a coincidence.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I want to believe this but I keep thinking about actual sports which are extremely good, and the only real difference I can come up with is that normal sports have been around forever and the people that play them aren't loving dorks.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

Well, except Hunter Pence and Chris Kluwe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

And Curt Schilling who's an enormous racist shithead in addition to being a huge loving dork.