Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, a week from Sunday is what I call the "Greatest Day of Racing". What's that you ask? Well, you have three of the most historic and prestigious races for their respective circuits: the Monaco Gran Prix (F1), the Indy 500 (IndyCar), and the Coke 600 (NASCAR). For our North American goons, watching all three live is entirely possible (I'll be doing it).

Info on the races will be here shortly, but I want to get this up before the end of qualifying for one of the races, which is this Sunday.

Anyway, here's the format:

Predict the Pole, Winner, Top 3, and Fastest Lap hold for each race. Each one is worth 5 points each, with the winner prediction being 7. For the NASCAR race, which is split up into four "stages" (meaning they throw a caution every 100 laps for this specific race, and whoever is leading at that point gets points), predict the stage winners, worth 2 points each stage.

Now, I also encourage side predictions, for example, "I predict that Fernando Alonso will finish in the Top 5 but not the Top 3". The bolder the prediction, the more points it'll get you if it's correct. What's bold? That's for me to judge.

The person with the most points in the end will get a forum upgrade of their choice.

Again, as the Indy 500 pole qualifying is this Sunday, get your predictions in for that ASAP. Yes, I'm letting you decide after the final nine who have a chance for the pole are decided, if only because you have a shorter amount of time. This closes at 3pm eastern Sunday. Though I may give you a bonus point or two if you get your prediction in by the first round of qualifying Saturday (11 am eastern).

Good luck!

-----

The Series:
Formula 1 (F1) - Thread
The pinnacle of racing to some, Formula 1 prides itself on technological advancements. The cars are by far the most advanced today, combining the best engine, aerodynamics, braking, and carbon fiber tech around into one very light, very fast car. No other form of racing can beat an F1 car on a road course, not even the closest competitor in the tech department, Le Mans Prototype 1. The entirety of the series is done on road and street courses.

Each team has their own custom car, with the only parts being required to be shared by each team being the wheels and tires. This year has brought around some fierce competition between Mercedes and Ferrari, after three straight years of Mercedes dominance. The cars are powered by a 1.6L turbocharged V6 hybrid hooked up to an 8 speed sequential transmission.

IndyCar Series (Indy) - Thread
Perhaps the greatest series no one hears about, the IndyCar Series is America's version of open wheel racing. While not as fast as F1 (nor as technologically advanced), Indy cars are still quick, and can reach higher overall speeds due to the fact they race on high speed ovals. The series does a mix of road and street courses, "low speed" ovals, and high speed ovals.

Only two different "cars" exist in Indy, a Chevy and a Honda, with each team picking one of the two. The differences are the engine and aero packages, as the chassis and everything else is the same between the two. Chevy has dominated the last two years due to having a much better aerokit when in high-downforce configuration, but Honda's engine comes on to the power much faster than Chevy, allowing them to steal two wins early this season. The cars are powered by a 2.2L twin turbo V6 attached to a 6 speed sequential transmission.

Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series (NASCAR) - Thread
Arguably the most "primitive" form of major circuit racing today, NASCAR is a stock car series. There's very few electronics involved in NASCAR beyond what's needed to run the car, and they're still running big V8s as their motors. Unlike F1 and Indy, there's minimal carbon fiber involved, meaning bumping into the guy next to you won't get you in trouble most of the time. All but two races are done on ovals, and it's the most popular form of circuit racing in the US today.

The cars themselves vaguely resemble the cars you see on the road today (with two of the three makers "using" their mid-sized car), but they're a shell around a space frame chassis. They're also not the most aerodynamic cars around, but they can touch 200 mph (322 km/h) on the bigger tracks. Each car is powered by 5.86L V8 hooked up to a 4 speed H pattern transmission.

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kidcoelacanth posted:

MONACO:
Pole: Hamilton
Fastest Lap: Hamilton
Winner: Hamilton

INDY:
Pole: Newgarden
Fastest Lap: Andretti
Winner: Hinchcliffe

CHARLOTTE:
Pole: Truex Jr
Fastest Lap: Elliott
S1/Truex, S2/Johnson, S3/Truex
Winner: Blaney

BOLD PREDICTIONS:
- Fernando Alonso is NOT the top finishing rookie, but is still top ten.
- Danica Patrick scores a top ten.
- Honda sweeps Indy podium but Chevy sweeps front row in quals.
- Force India is represented on the Monaco podium.

You're missing the top three for all three, just so you know.

Unless you want an intentional handicap!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Slickdrac posted:

You should probably specifically note in the OP that for the 600, there are actually 4 stages with 3 stage winners, in case someone does a quick check to figure out wtf a Stage is in NASCAR and misses that in peak NASCAR form, they added an extra one at the last minute because gently caress it.

Done.

Also, for the record, I have yet to decide when entries will be officially closed, but expect it sometime the Saturday prior, probably when I get home from work.

Also, you don't have to make all your predictions right this moment, but I'm cool if you do. The one thing you SHOULD do is make the Indy pole one before Saturday.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the greatest day of racing is the 24 Hours of Le Mans hth

That's the greatest 24 hours, yes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

After careful consideration, I have decided that some posters who have no interest in NASCAR want to do the 24 hours of the 'Ring.

I will allow it, but be aware you are handicapping yourself out of 6 points. Only the overall winner will count.

You can get points for both 24 hours of the 'Ring and NASCAR. You can put down predictions for both if you want, but you must specify which one you're using.

Also, I will allow replacement of Bourdais predictions, otherwise any prediction involving him will transfer to Davison.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Race Results:
F1:
Pole: RAI
VET-RAI-RIC
FL: PER

24h Nurburgring:
Pole: 704 Traum Motorsport USA
1st 29 - Audi Sport Team Land
2nd 98 - Rowe Racing
3rd 9 - Audi Sport Team WRT.

Indy:
Pole: Dixon
Sato-Castro-Jones
FL: Sato

NASCAR:
Pole: Harvick
S1- Ky Busch
S2- Truex Jr
S3- Hamlin
FL: Jimmie Johnson
Race: Dillon-Ky Busch-Truex Jr

Competition results tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, after careful analysis, sleeping, and then having an allergy attack due to yard work, we have a winner!

Slickdrac posted:

MONACO:
Pole: Hamilton
Fastest Lap: Vettel
Podium: Vettel, Bottas, Ricciardo +7 for Vettel, + 5 for Ricciardo
Prediction: Hamilton dunked on by backmarker
Total: 12 points

INDY:
Pole: Newgarden
Fastest Lap: Dixon
Podium: Power, Hinch, Newgarden
Prediction: Someone tries to stretch the fuel for the win with a decent seeming shot at it, but ruined by a yellow, or by being 5 laps short by pushing to hard getting around lappers

CHARLOTTE:
Pole: Truex Jr
Fastest Lap: Larson
S1/Truex Jr, S2/Truex, S3/Johnson +2 for Stage 2 correct
Podium: Johnson, Larson, Truex +5 for 3rd place correct
Prediction: 80% of us are asleep by lap 45m, wake up for the finish, and that's boring too Sorry, that's not bold. Larson is within a second of Johnson with 10 laps to go, and pulls a Larson (slaps the wall)
Total: 7 points

So with 19 points, SlickDrac wins!

• Locked thread