Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

is your indoctrination by postmodern ideals seriously holding the point that science is based on objective observations and measurements in contention

because you might be a loving moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Gender studies might be more well respected if it didn't so blatantly traffic in ideas that are obviously wrong, or untested, or un-falsifiable but are in vogue because they're seen as ideologically correct and that's what matters. When you decide to declare that gender is a social construct, you really give the game away.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Android Blues posted:

Also there are just a lot of bad academics out there who publish garbage and these sham journals know an easy revenue stream when they see one. The recent fuss about a massive reproducibility crisis in science would seem to indicate that this kind of stuff hits STEM, too, but there's no-one out there going "this physics journal prints studies that have unverifiable results and nonsensical parameters, the entire discipline of physics must be garbage!".

The publish or perish system in academia is bullshit, and helps contribute to this.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Gender is like the periodic table of elements.

In that we are creating new additions all the time but they are all very heavy and unstable.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

the trump tutelage posted:

where do u fall on the gender spectrum

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Truly, this is the thread that keeps on giving.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

nigga crab pollock posted:

is your indoctrination by postmodern ideals seriously holding the point that science is based on objective observations and measurements in contention

because you might be a loving moron

I believe it was Derrida who said, in his most famous work,

"Pizzagate is real!!"

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

nigga crab pollock posted:

identifing as genderfluid through the lens of modern vicious identity politics is basically little more than the smartest move in terms of superficial game theory

make no concessions, gain some deflection. it's simply the smartest choice

I have to admit I get suspicious when public figures identify as bisexual / pansexual for this reason. You don't actually have to adjust your behavior to technically fall within the label

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well since "Queer" can mean anything, we're not far off.

Even bisexual is no longer as bisexual does.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

sugar free jazz posted:

I believe it was Derrida who said, in his most famous work,

"Pizzagate is real!!"

Bullshit. He would've taken 3 pages to circumlocute around that conclusion, so that if he ever wanted to claim pizzagate isn't real he could do that and claim he'd never said it was real.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You thick dullard.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Neurosis posted:

Bullshit. He would've taken 3 pages to circumlocute around that conclusion, so that if he ever wanted to claim pizzagate isn't real he could do that and claim he'd never said it was real.

Tbh never read Derrida, read Heidegger and didn't hate myself enough to keep goin down that path

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Dean of Swing posted:

After seven pages you would think somebody would pony up and actually present a good post modernist paper.

After nineteen pages you would think somebody would pony up and actually present a good post modernist paper.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I wouldn't mind if people settled for tolerance instead of losing goodwill fruitlessly pushing for acceptance. I think that coming off the success of Gay rights, which most people rightly came around to, some people think they're so evidently right they are insulted that they might be asked to make their argument. This gender bullshit is a way tougher sell. It's no longer the stereotypical old, uneducated, straight white men that are unconvinced. I think most people will eventually at least begrudgingly accept that trans people are mentally ill but need to be treated fairly, anything else looks increasingly unlikely.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

I wouldn't mind if people settled for tolerance instead of losing goodwill fruitlessly pushing for acceptance. I think that coming off the success of Gay rights, which most people rightly came around to, some people think they're so evidently right they are insulted that they might be asked to make their argument. This gender bullshit is a way tougher sell. It's no longer the stereotypical old, uneducated, straight white men that are unconvinced. I think most people will eventually at least begrudgingly accept that trans people are mentally ill but need to be treated fairly, anything else looks increasingly unlikely.

live and let live is the best philosophy. you dont bother me and i wont bother you, and we can both go about our business in peace. the problem is when it rubs up against ideologies that insist everyone must be converted 100%, like feminism/islam/communism

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

SuperSlacker posted:

That's because gender studies is an easier target and the internet has a hard on for bashing it

That's because it's literally loving retarded.

Gender studies is an entirely invented academic discipline. It's an easier target than science because science describes actual reality whereas gender studies is entirely about making viewpoints about reality one disagrees with unacceptable or even illegal. It's a field about banning disagreement. It's a bunch of people that want to present their political views as some sort of objective description of how the world works, but without having to do actual science, which might involve math and other actual hard stuff. All they did was start calling it a field and a discipline and invent degrees in it, which was easy because the social sciences were already overrun with lefties who wanted them to be right.

Now, they're completely out of control and the rest of academia is terrified that if the bullshit is pointed out, that A) they might have to question their own views, or B) the shitlords they've allowed to profess this as a discipline will turn on them or C) the undergrad students who are allowed to show up at 18 years old and go directly into a field where they just agree hard enough with the professor and get an A and where even considering other perspectives is considered bigoted, backwards, and moronic will come screaming into their classroom with baseball bats.

The fact that people even try to defend this poo poo is an amazing mix of frightening and stupid. It's only defensible out of sheer terror that if there isn't enough oppression, there's no reason for the left to exist and therefore more oppression always has to be invented.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax

Dean of Swing posted:

After nineteen pages you would think somebody would pony up and actually present a good post modernist paper.

Here it is, I found it

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Frosted Flake posted:

the gender bullshit is a tough sell because its attempting to strip existing language of old meanings and redefine them so they they can no longer be used in a way that contradicts their propelling ideology. the gays were always just trying to suck some dick without anyone giving too much of a poo poo

that branch of idpol is straight up social engineering in the most basal form. while separating sex and gender is a useful concept, within the context of modern identity politics the separation is attempting to change the language as to not cause friction with even the most extreme of trans activists. all of the skeleton warriors on twitter saying a 👏 penis 👏 is 👏 a 👏 feminine 👏organ 👏 or 👏 bruce 👏 jenner 👏 was 👏 never 👏 a 👏 man 👏 aren't just saying contradictory nonsense. it is an effort, consious or not, to strip subtle and indirect meanings of those words and prevent them from being used to assert something that goes against that ideology anymore

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 15, 2017

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
caitlyn jenner was always a woman. vulvas are male organs. female dads and male moms.

gender studies rejects and vilifies the very concepts on which the entire discipline is founded on

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Gender studies:

*looks at a picture of a vagina*

Hmm, yes, yes, interesting... yes.

*looks at a picture of a penis*

Hmm, no, this won't do at all.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i'm the pizzagate eve goon and i'm here to tell you why [bad penn gillette impression] GENDER STUDIES IS BULLSHIT

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Cease to Hope posted:

i'm the pizzagate eve goon and i'm here to tell you why [bad penn gillette impression] GENDER STUDIES IS BULLSHIT

im white noise poster ceasetohope58. i first started reading gbs when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of “irony” and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like “pizzagate is real” in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Bogus Adventure posted:

The publish or perish system in academia is bullshit, and helps contribute to this.

yeah for real. it's why these journals exist in the first place. Actually getting paid in academia is a pretty savage process that kinda incentivises quantity of publishing over quality of theory.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I've talked to academics who've told me that they feel confident in their ability to assess a paper even if they know nothing about the subject matter, because they can just recognise the structure of a good argument. This seems to me like a dangerous and hubristic line of thinking - what if the author's recounting of basic elements of the subject matter is factually wrong? What if they use advanced theories or cite sources incorrectly or stripped of context?

I challenged one of them on this and she said, "well yes, I suppose if someone wanted to LIE, they could trick you," but I don't think that's even the whole problem. If someone could create a structurally sound argument based on flawed non-facts, a reviewer taking this approach wouldn't know, and whether the author was malign or just incompetent would be irrelevant.

But, you kind of have to take this approach in some areas - because not all peer review systems will have a panel of perfect experts on every subject, and so if a paper is to be assessed, there has to be some guesswork by people who may not really know what the paper is about. It's a difficult double bind. That's part of what leads to things like Sokal, too.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Android Blues posted:

I've talked to academics who've told me that they feel confident in their ability to assess a paper even if they know nothing about the subject matter, because they can just recognise the structure of a good argument. This seems to me like a dangerous and hubristic line of thinking - what if the author's recounting of basic elements of the subject matter is factually wrong? What if they use advanced theories or cite sources incorrectly or stripped of context?

I challenged one of them on this and she said, "well yes, I suppose if someone wanted to LIE, they could trick you," but I don't think that's even the whole problem. If someone could create a structurally sound argument based on flawed non-facts, a reviewer taking this approach wouldn't know, and whether the author was malign or just incompetent would be irrelevant.

But, you kind of have to take this approach in some areas - because not all peer review systems will have a panel of perfect experts on every subject, and so if a paper is to be assessed, there has to be some guesswork by people who may not really know what the paper is about. It's a difficult double bind. That's part of what leads to things like Sokal, too.

this is a good post but it's worth keeping in mind that the op is about a scam publisher that will publish literally anything and most of the posters don't think that anything that isn't STEM is actually science

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

yeah for sure, but in the context of academic publishing in general I felt it was worth putting out there. There's a lot of stuff complicating the whole process and in general I feel a big problem is that the research treadmill encourages sloppy work, assessment by people who aren't qualified to assess given subject areas, and the proliferation of sham journals. I don't know what the alternative to publish or perish is, but it definitely creates a lot of problems.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You mindless dolt.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Repo Man posted:

Unfortunately, this isn't a hoax:

In my previous job I have worked on campaigns to try and get people to buy more local meat from local farmers. The brief was "sell more meat to literally anyone who will buy it because if you do that then farmers will get paid more."

The adverts consist of "meat is delicious, you should buy it." Then there is usually a picture of the meat.

What loving planet is she living on that this is hate speech against women

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Clamps McGraw posted:

The adverts consist of "meat is delicious, you should buy it." Then there is usually a picture of the meat.

What loving planet is she living on that this is hate speech against women

The Carol Adams promo email doesn't say all meat advertisements are hate speech. Ask a grown-up to help you read the email. It has a lot of complicated words. The key sentence is:

quote:

It proposes that many meat advertisements are conduits for hate-speech against women...

You notice the words I underlined? "Many" is a different word than "all". And conduits is an indirect word. I think you skipped that word because you don't understand what a conduit is. I know a lot of third graders have trouble with this stuff.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I can definitely buy "meat is marketed as manly". It's not exactly a giant preposterous leap, I'd be interested to read how she develops that idea though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gender/ethnic/whatever studies are legit fields but the entire academic world is garbage.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's incredible what bad shape colleges and universities are in right now.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Android Blues posted:

I can definitely buy "meat is marketed as manly". It's not exactly a giant preposterous leap, I'd be interested to read how she develops that idea though.

meat gives big muscles. like men have. hunters get meat. men were the hunters. i would like my phd now and to live off government money for my contribution.

Zajajaja
Jan 10, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's incredible what bad shape colleges and universities are in right now.

This is the issue I think, the discussions that COULD occur if more 'fringe' viewpoints like "hey maybe despite it being a social construct, could gender norms be beneficial if they were altered not removed?" would be great discussions to have but instead it's considered WRONGTHINK that should be airhorned/glitterbombed and generally shat on without a second glance.

This is happening at U of Toronto and I find it really disheartening because yikes, ya'll had incredibly salient arguments about the rights of women being oppressed in the 70s/80s/90s what the hell happened?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zajajaja posted:

This is the issue I think, the discussions that COULD occur if more 'fringe' viewpoints like "hey maybe despite it being a social construct, could gender norms be beneficial if they were altered not removed?" would be great discussions to have but instead it's considered WRONGTHINK that should be airhorned/glitterbombed and generally shat on without a second glance.

This is happening at U of Toronto and I find it really disheartening because yikes, ya'll had incredibly salient arguments about the rights of women being oppressed in the 70s/80s/90s what the hell happened?
The problem isn't that they're "too liberal" or whatever, the problem is that the way we conceive of universities, college culture, academics, athletics, administration all have serious problems at every level. Political and ideological issues get overemphasized, but universities are failing to serve their students.

Zajajaja
Jan 10, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Political and ideological issues get overemphasized, but universities are failing to serve their students.
You know I never thought of it that way but dang if that isn't spot on.
I felt like my degree didn't really prepare me for jack poo poo when it came to actually working in the field, but I had assumed that was because I was a lack luster student some of the time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zajajaja posted:

You know I never thought of it that way but dang if that isn't spot on.
I felt like my degree didn't really prepare me for jack poo poo when it came to actually working in the field, but I had assumed that was because I was a lack luster student some of the time.
Nope, college is worthless due to a whole bunch of factors.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

FactsAreUseless posted:

Gender/ethnic/whatever studies are legit fields but the entire academic world is garbage.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nope, college is worthless

i disagree

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Cease to Hope posted:

anything that isn't STEM is actually science

anything that isn't science is actually science is certainly a v interesting take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Why? You and I probably had very different experiences, so I'd like to hear yours.

• Locked thread