Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pierson posted:

This basically. Unless we get a reclusive crazy billionaire with infinite money to make a studio to hand-draw the entire series, losing millions of dollars, this is Good Enough, Maybe Even Pretty Great.

I'm curious what people who never read the comic thought. I definitely imagined Killy as sounding much older, the JP VA and voice direction didn't do much for me and made him sound like a moody teen.

Well i just started (i'm a half-hour in) and i fuckin love it so far. Enough that i'm all excited and had to pause to look at the manga on amazon. So, the question is: is digital good enough, or do i spring (and find shelfspace) for the physical volumes?

Basically is it good enough to sit on the same shelf as Nausicaa, Akira, and GitS? Even at 10 volumes. (edit: those just happen to be the large format manga titles i have. There's lots of more normally sized stuff too)

edit again: o hi Kana Hanazawa

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Without really meaning to i've been leaning away from dark or gritty science fiction manga and anime for awhile now, but this pretty much rocked my world. So, thanks for making the thread i might not otherwise have watched it so soon. I loved how much it had that great Sergio Leone inspired Man With No Name thing going on where he just shows up, says like 10 words, changes everything and then continues on.

Now i'm going to buy the first volume of the manga, because i want to read the hell out of it in a lot more detail.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fuckit, ordered all three that are currently out. :homebrew:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Why did Vol. 3 show up first?! :arghfist::mad:amazon:arghfist::mad:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Whaaaaaat?!
:aaaaa: That's crazy and I'm even more looking forward to reading this than I already was. (I don't give a rip about spoilers)

I'm about halfway through volume one and it's great; the art is really cool even if the characters are ever so sliiightly a bit walleyed sometimes. Whole chapters without any dialogue is cool as hell too.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Someone earlier wondered how someone who got introduced to the series with the movie would feel about the manga. Well I just finished it, so here goes.

Goddamn that was amazing. All the Nihei-isms I like were dialed up to 11, and the art was of course beautiful. Thanks to other posters I don't really have many questions, all I can say is I really want more in this setting now, even if it would kinda defeat the point.

So what was up with the chapter one rescued boy and not-Cibo? I can only assume it was a scrapped plotline idea for Killy to try saving people who might have the gene, and Cibo was his support, but Nihei flies in abject defiance of traditional storytelling concepts so I can't say how much was intentional and just not meant to be explained like so many other things, or if it was just a dropped idea. I'd totally read a full length Blame Academy though. Guess I'll chug through Netsphere Engineer and Noise now.

I'm attempting to only read the new editions that are coming out, but after 1 and a half volumes so far i'm not sure that my willpower is up to that task. We'll see i guess! Have to wait 'til June for vol. 4 :f5:.

Also, i'm glad that Cibo, my very tall wife, showed up much earlier than i was expecting her to. Actually, since it looks like i'm just starting the Fishers arc this whole thing that inspired the movie is happening much earlier than i expected. Sure is different, but also awesome.

Also, also: his name is Kyrii in this version.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:retrogames:

https://twitter.com/comiXology/status/872171485632311298

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I grabbed the first three chapters of APOSIMZ off of comixology and i'm not really sure how i feel about it. His style seems to have changed a hell of a lot, and i'm not sure for the better even if the characters are no longer wall-eyed. There's also approximately 300% more talking.

I'm not sure i'll be sticking with it or not.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well, i'm very glad to hear you all still have confidence in his writing, i'll be sticking with it for the time being then. Issues are only $.99 right now on amazon/comixology too.

Plus, there's a free chapter zero from Kondansha's site as well.

http://kodanshacomics.com/2017/03/01/aposimz-full-time-wife-escapist-taiyo-no-ie-peach-heaven/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/Bastienkun/status/875723189250347010

google translate posted:

Seshita Hiroyuki to announced the production of the sequel to the movie Blame and a 3rd season for the animated Knight of Sidonia!

I'll give that news a tentative :woop: until there's more confirmation i suppose.

• Locked thread