Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I do not like anime but Blame! is my favourite thing and I thought the movie was pretty good. It suffers from japanese voice acting with all it's ridiculous gasping and focus on teen emotions, but I think they made the right choice but just showing a small story from the perspective of some people who crossed paths with Killy. It was a fairly close re-telling of the whole chapter in the book with the electro-fishers, just without Toha heavy industries and Cibo being found here for plot's sake. The only thing that bothered me is that Killy seemed really sleepy, like he was operating at 5% power the whole movie. He's supposed to have pretty much limitless ammo for his gun and can choose the power level at will for the situation, but in the movie it's as if his gun is draining his personal energy so he gets exhausted if he shoots more than a couple times a day. I guess they thought it would add more tension if he wasn't a ridiculous killing machine, but the books managed to have plenty of tense fights with things at stake even with killy being able to stay awake after shooting.

Also how can you have a Blame! movie without any Silicon creatures?? I hope they make more. Will they make more? We deserve more. I want to see silicon creatures, Dhomochevsky. I want to see a fully animated Davine lu Linvega. I want ridiculous fully-powered Killy going all-out.
Also, I think a Noise! movie would be perfect, it's bite sized enough and would be perfect.

I wish he would make more blame-universe comics and stop making trash like Knights of Sidonia, but I guess that's what pays the bills :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nihei's plots got worse and weirder as time went on. Biomega is when he sort of went off the rails. There's a fine line between "woah this is really weird and there's so many questions I still have, I want to know more!" and "gently caress they're just making this up as they go along and all this crazy poo poo is just there to distract you from the fact that they couldn't come up with a good ending or a coherent plot"

Read Noise, Blame, Netsphere Engineer, and Blame 2.0 in order and it tells a pretty good story. There's still lots of unanswered questions but they're interesting questions. Biomega is just "uhh it was all a bear's dream or something" and Knights of Sidonia is so almost great but he just had to cash in on all the classic anime trash character tropes (which usually is not his style) and then the end makes you feel like you wasted your time on the whole thing.

I read an interview from him a while ago where he was really happy at finally getting commercial success with Knights because it has much more mainstream appeal and all his earlier work was almost a waste of time in comparison and it sure it good he now knows how to make successful popular things and won't waste his time on stuff like Blame! again. It broke my heart.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Blame! manga is really good but don't judge it too much from the first book, he's still refining his art style and storytelling then. It's a fantastic series though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hamelekim posted:

It's probably my favorite manga. The setting, the atmosphere, the characters, I love all of it. The ending is incredibly depressing though.

I've started buying the kindle version of the manga as I hate moving books and I can zoom in on pages.

The movie captured the feeling of the manga, although it was a little strange to mix and match characters and story arcs together. It still ending up working well.

The ending seems hopeful, he did it. Netsphere Engineer and Blame 2.0 show that he was successful in his mission, it's just going to take hundreds or thousands of years for things to sort them selves out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like my weird poo poo to be entirely naturalistic. Magic and supernatural stuff is unrealistic. Teleporting around and summoning monsters because *ancient technology* is totally good.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Blame! is worth reading a few times, there's a coherent story in there it's just not spoon fed with tons of exposition.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Webcormac McCarthy posted:

This movie was kickass. I'm glad they kept silicon creatures out of it, the Authority was plenty creepy on its own and would have confused first timers.

Here's hoping for a sequel.

Cibo's new-built body was almost identical to the body of one of the silicon creatures early in the books, right down to the white arm. Would love a sequel and agree it would probably be too much to fit in a 4th faction. You've got random humans just trying to survive, you've got killy who's some sort of special safeguard sort of working for the governing authority, you have safeguard who are supposed to be part of the governing authority but are out of control doing their own thing, then on top of all that have Silicon creatures, cyborgs who hacked the netsphere to get lovely safeguard-tech bodies and are thriving in the chaos of the city and don't want humans to ever find net-terminal genes and want them for them selves to download higher level tech for them selves.

I'm glad they kept all the iconography for the factions in the movie.
Governing Agency:

Safeguard:

And Silicon Life in general seems to have an eye symbol show up a lot

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 23, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think they're humans reconstructed at a nano level to be sort of bio-organic robot horrors.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

And "humans" casts a reeeaaly wide genetic and cybernetic net.

I mean it's a huge structure the size of the solar system with tiny insignificant pockets inside that happen to be the size of jupiter, it's going to be filled with millions or billions or different groups and offshoot species and levels of cyberness. There's also all sorts of weird animals and "life", we only see some sort of silverfish things in the movie.

And even "silicon life" covers a wide range. I don't think they're a unified group, but we never really see them hostile to each other.

You've got guys like this, more borg style with cables and tubes and poo poo.

Then you have these rad no-exposed-flesh sort of cyber death knights who are rad

Of course his favourite "skull with a mess of gross black cyber stuff" look

Or much more human styles that still have expressive human-like faces

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 23, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah so much of the Blame! setting is this sort of legalistic nightmare. The whole thing is almost like living on a holodeck with the safeties off and the computer no longer responding to humans due to a hosed up legal/software issue. Killy's gun has infinite ammo because it's basically powered by wifi within the megastructure, but when he goes into an area not legally part of the megastructure it stops working.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh also I don't think all the kids died in Noise. It shows them transforming into gross sort of cocoons but one girl literally hatches into a silicon-life butterfly thing and flies off. I think they were just using the kids as test subjects for how to transform human bodies into silicon creatures while maintaining sentience. Previous attempts just turned people/corpses/piles of doll heads into monsters.

And I think Killy is helping Silicon life in Blame2 because he's a decent guy and just recognised they've reformed and are now a persecuted minority.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh also they can generate power with a "gravity furnace" and if you shoot your super beam into the gravity furnace you can travel to alternate dimensions but of course the megastructure is still there in other dimensions except maybe your buddy has wings now but she died but your buddy from your dimension also died so maybe you can combine them to have 1 working buddy but then she died again but then she merged with a former enemy and they both died but then returned as a robo-baby ????

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We're potentially seeing the outside of the megastructure in this panel

And here's the moon being consumed

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is that... no? What???

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think those bits are awesome because they give everything in hours and unless you do the math it's just sort of "oh this elevator trip took a long time" but then you realize the elevator took a verrrrry long time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fish Noise posted:

There was a somewhat abstract BLAME! net animation from a while back where the elevator woman identifies herself as Cibo, and I quite like the interpretation that the whole thing was a look at Killy's damaged and fragmented memories, where in an effort to hold onto significant information he's been mashing similar things together, so all significant women allies in the past have been merged into his internal concept of Cibo.

Don't make me re-read blame with the idea that it's told with an unreliable narrator.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So his latest comic sounds promising. It sounds a lot like blame but on the surface of some huge icey dyson sphere rather than inside?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MachuPikacchu posted:

I just finished watching this amazing movie, and it pushed me to read the manga.

Could someone please explain what happens in like, everything after they meet Dhomochevsky.

It's the answer of how babby is formed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yum posted:

Loved the movie for what it was considering it's limitations. Definitely agree that making Killy function on low power was pretty lame but I can see why they did it to add tension. Cibo, GBE, Sanakan, and the Safeguard were all very well done and looked awesome. My biggest gripe about the whole thing was that super cheesy wind instrument theme that plays whenever Killy is on screen. It felt like an attempt to make him seem like some silent Sasuke badass instead of an ancient half functional computer program

It did seem over the top, almost like he's some dark horse mysterious stranger from a western. Yet he's so drat sleepy during the whole movie he honestly doesn't do a ton.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dude needs to have his characters shut up and make the plot as simple as possible to service cool technoruins.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Relin posted:

i would prefer if he at least went back to the art style in blame

Yeah I find his new stuff almost... minimalist? lazy? They aren't as chock full of detailed backgrounds, there's much more white space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yum posted:

Bought the master edition volumes by Vertical. Reading these over the scans on kissmanga is a world of difference in terms of figuring out whats going on/what people are saying.

1 question though, who was the Silicon Life cyborg that Maeve fuses with before the climax of Toha Industries? I know that Killy beat the poo poo out of it (her?) during his gravity furnace adventures but not much other info is given apart from Cibo stating that it/she was the newest model of Silicon Life and that she had the ability to regenerate which was something that the Silicon Life in the present timeline were unable to do.

It was from some parallel universe and not really explained.
The whole Toha Industries bit is probably my least favourite section. It just got a little too weird but in a way that felt lazy and making-it-up-as-you-go, which is my biggest complaint with his post-blame! work. Biomega started quite interesting but then went right off the rails and it felt like Lost or Battlestar Galactica where the illusion of a weird mystery or that the writers know where they're going was dashed. Sometimes I think he needs to partner up with a good scifi writer to keep him on track. I'm fine with crazy weird poo poo, just weave it into some sort of consistent plot.

A lot of his weirder shorts are fine because they are shorts, they don't have time for the plot to go off the rails. I also prefer his nearly emotionless cyborgs to his "human" characters because I have zero tolerance for the personality or dialog tropes found in manga/anime.

• Locked thread