Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Are there any passages in the actual books that talk about him wearing a hat?

I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually wear one since there is that passage about him having a huge chunk of his hair removed during the bit where they rescue jake from the house that tries to eat him.

I could swear that Eddie uses the rawhide from Roland's hat to build something in the second or third book. Doesn't he build a stretcher to drag Roland on? Maybe that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I don't think we need a canonical justification for why some people would think it would be cool for a character named THE GUNSLINGER who's entire thing is supernatural revolver prowess to have a cowboy hat when he has almost always been illustrated wearing one.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

http://collider.com/dark-tower-movie-runtime/ 95 minutes

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Mister Kingdom posted:

When came through Mort's mind in NYC, he bought a few boxes of ammo, but it seems like he and the others used way more than he bought after the fact.

He's was fuckin amazed at how many bullets he could buy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LegoMan posted:

He's was fuckin amazed at how many bullets he could buy.

Yea bullets were really in short supply in Mid-World, I think as far as Roland knew the ones he was carrying could have been the last in existence. In one of the early books there's a whole thing about him drying out his cartridges after they got wet because they were so precious.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, wait, are they going for PG-13 or R? It has a 12A from the BBFC, but the trailer I saw before Baby Driver had a pretty explicit headshot with a squib and everything, which is usually a no-no in PG-13 movies.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So, wait, are they going for PG-13 or R? It has a 12A from the BBFC, but the trailer I saw before Baby Driver had a pretty explicit headshot with a squib and everything, which is usually a no-no in PG-13 movies.

I know the shot you're taking about. Weirdly the blood wasn't in the trailer before Spider-Man, but was in a spot shown during a commercial break on ESPN. I'm assuming it will be PG-13, but they might still be adjusting the levels of violence in the final cut.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Quote =/= edit

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kong: Skull Island got away with A LOT, to the point where it wouldn't surprise me if this could do one head shot with blood and still be PG-13 if that's the only instance of blood in the movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
As far as violence goes, there's no specific list of things that instantly make a movie an R, it's just a cumulative evaluation without any sort of established criteria. There are instances of films being resubmitted with zero changes that were passed with a lower rating just because ever time a film gets rated it's a crapshoot.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fart City posted:

I know the shot you're taking about. Weirdly the blood wasn't in the trailer before Spider-Man, but was in a spot shown during a commercial break on ESPN. I'm assuming it will be PG-13, but they might still be adjusting the levels of violence in the final cut.

This reminds me of the differing standards websites have for when they show clips of upcoming movies and stuff. Like there's a promo clip of Fury Road from when they're driving through the canyon the first time and Furiosa is shooting down the bikers, and the actual gun firing/bits of them getting hit are edited out.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

Yea bullets were really in short supply in Mid-World, I think as far as Roland knew the ones he was carrying could have been the last in existence. In one of the early books there's a whole thing about him drying out his cartridges after they got wet because they were so precious.

Although in truth his were still important because they could block the sound of the Thinny.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
i hope someday someone makes a good story out of this loving mess. 20 years of books that are all over the place quality wise and a lovely young adult movie that looks like loving cosplay, yikes. as it is the best way to take it in is skimming the article on wikipedia.

third times a charm hopefully. on paper this is a good story, just terrible execution.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Basebf555 posted:

That and he wore a bandolier. In the movie, it looks like he has a bunch of speedloaders on his belt.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

That's pretty short for an "epic" movie

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Fried Watermelon posted:

That's pretty short for an "epic" movie

Well, he's got the Horn now, I imagine its going to be a lot easier/quicker this time around.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mr. Unlucky posted:

i hope someday someone makes a good story out of this loving mess. 20 years of books that are all over the place quality wise and a lovely young adult movie that looks like loving cosplay, yikes. as it is the best way to take it in is skimming the article on wikipedia.

third times a charm hopefully. on paper this is a good story, just terrible execution.

We got three different Spider-Man movie franchises in 10 years after decades of development hell and even Watchmen is currently in talks to be remade as a miniseries. If this bombs and the upcoming Castle Rock series does well I wouldn't surprised if they tried it again.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The books have a ton of flaws but suggesting people just read the Wikipedia page instead is insanely dumb.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I wonder how good the soundtrack will be. Hopefully it fits the music that played in my head while reading the books in high school.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

crime fighting hog posted:

I wonder how good the soundtrack will be. Hopefully it fits the music that played in my head while reading the books in high school.

Junkie XL is doing it, so it can be anywhere from great (Mad Max) to okay but forgettable (Deadpool).

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

DandyLion posted:

Well, he's got the Horn now, I imagine its going to be a lot easier/quicker this time around.

"Hi, this is Roland, I'm here at SGDQ this year doing an any% run of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I saved five frames here by canceling the reloading animation. Now if you clip through the right walls here you can instantly get to Blaine and skip 30% of the story within the first five minutes."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!

Well Manicured Man posted:

"Hi, this is Roland, I'm here at SGDQ this year doing an any% run of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I saved five frames here by canceling the reloading animation. Now if you clip through the right walls here you can instantly get to Blaine and skip 30% of the story within the first five minutes."

This is the real reason he's doomed to relive his journey over and over.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

At Comc-Con, to promote the movie, Sony and IGN teamed up with a local bar to turn it into the Dixie Pig. I wonder if that means that we'll see that in the movie, or if they safely chose something that the movie wasn't going to touch to use to promote it?

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-san-diego-bar-transformed-into-the-dark-towers-dixie-1797149441

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Chairman Capone posted:

At Comc-Con, to promote the movie, Sony and IGN teamed up with a local bar to turn it into the Dixie Pig. I wonder if that means that we'll see that in the movie, or if they safely chose something that the movie wasn't going to touch to use to promote it?

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-san-diego-bar-transformed-into-the-dark-towers-dixie-1797149441

Dixie Pig's definitely in the movie. According to an IGN interview the director said you can see some lobstrosities on ice behind one of the food counters as an easter egg.

http://in.ign.com/the-dark-tower-theater/110738/news/comic-con-2017-the-dark-tower-director-nikolaj-arcel-on-his

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/07/14/wanna-see-whats-inside-the-dark-towers-incredibly-creepy-dixie-pig-location

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That's awesome, both that the Dixie Pig will be in it, and they'll actually have lobstrosities, even if in a background cameo. Though sadly I guess no dad-a-chuck, did-a-chee?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Variety: Dark Tower - Clashing Visions, Brutal Test Screenings Plagued Journey to Big Screen

Variety posted:

With millions of loyal readers and a fantastical setting, Stephen King’s “The Dark Tower” book series has tantalized Hollywood. The movie business is always on the prowl for the next “Lord of the Rings” or “Harry Potter.” King’s novels, about a mysterious gunslinger on a quest to save the universe, had the markings of a potential blockbuster.

However, getting the promising adaptation to the big screen took more than a decade and suffered several setbacks along the way, as one top director and screenwriter after another — including J.J. Abrams, who originally optioned the material — tried and failed to wrest the author’s eight-book opus into a workable film. After Universal Pictures scrapped plans to make a series of interconnected films and television shows with Ron Howard running point, Modi Wiczyk, co-founder of Media Rights Capital, set the project up under a co-financing deal with Sony Pictures.

In 2015, MRC and Sony jointly announced they had found a way into the story and tapped Nikolaj Arcel, the Oscar-nominated Danish filmmaker behind “A Royal Affair,” to direct the movie.

With “The Dark Tower” poised to debut this weekend, multiple sources told Variety that the creative process — particularly in post-production — was plagued with problems and clashing visions. Wiczyk and Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman downplay any suggestion that the movie faced major hurdles.

But when Arcel delivered an early cut of the picture that alarmed Wiczyk and Rothman, they considered bringing in a more experienced filmmaker to recut it. While the two men deny this and insist their joint contribution was limited to giving the director notes, one insider said that Rothman spent hours in the editing bay offering his input.

quote:

It was a struggle to combine parts of several books into an 88-minute film that appeals to both King devotees and mainstream audiences.

Sony and MRC spent $6 million on reshoots to fill in more backstory about Elba’s character’s hatred for McConaughey’s Man in Black. In addition, to better familiarize audiences with Mid-World, the film’s magical setting, five minutes of exposition were cut and a new scene was shot to combine ideas that had been sprinkled throughout the picture.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Wish I could say the news surprised me. I'm still gonna see it (how could I not?), but I'm tempering expectations big time. My biggest concern right now is that I hope it's just, like, a coherent narrative after all the editing is said and done. It's a big story, one which could very easily get lost in the woods.

God I hate studio execs in situations like this.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!

quote:

including J.J. Abrams, who originally optioned the material

With JJ Abrams and Steven King's power combined, they can do anything!

...except write a satisfying ending.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hodgepodge posted:

With JJ Abrams and Steven King's power combined, they can do anything!

...except write a satisfying ending.

Conveniently neither can King. Match made in heaven.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
My hope for this movie being decent is hovering around 15%. But I'm going opening night and you better believe I'll be making drunk thankee sai jokes

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Seaniqua posted:

My hope for this movie being decent is hovering around 15%. But I'm going opening night and you better believe I'll be making drunk thankee sai jokes

I think this movie looks like complete boring poo poo but even I don't think it'll be rated THAT low. That being said idk how they managed to make a book series about total mindfuck locales and time/reality warping look so painfully generic.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Conveniently neither can King. Match made in heaven.

It was aliens the entire time!

Guess which book I am

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
At this point, I really want to know what made them think to condense the eight books into one movie? You could do an almost verbatim version of book 1 and it would be great. Rework the whole oracle scene and the gun abortion on the priestess. You could change the final confrontation to a fight with Walter and end on him looking at the beach with an image of the tower like one of the art prints. It's baffling how this is turning out but then again King adaptations are cluster fucks except for prison stories.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

It's definitely not all 8 books in one 95min movie

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

It seems like madness to even try. Like the poster a couple of posts ago said, just adapt the first book, it would make a fine movie. And if it does well, adapt the second book. This is not code language. Just keep making the movies as long as they make the studio money. Why is this not a self evident proposition for the studio?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Pretty sure this movie is mostly book 1, with some mixed around bits and pieces from books 2, 3, and 6 (IIRC): Roland spending time in 'our' universe, Jake's encounters with the haunted house waypoint in NYC, showdown at the Dixie Pig with the minions and low-men, etc. I haven't read the series in forever so my specifics might be off, but that's the gist.

If (and it's a gigantic 'IF' at this point) the movie makes enough money then we'll get the rest of the series spread between TV mini-series and more full length movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

JJ Abrams does dope exciting endings every time. I've never come out of one of his flicks not feeling something. Except Into Darkness

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Still embargoed? That can't be a good sign....

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

mcmagic posted:

Still embargoed? That can't be a good sign....

The review embargo is at like 10pm Wednesday night if I recall correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Le Saboteur posted:

The review embargo is at like 10pm Wednesday night if I recall correctly.

Yikes. Only thing all summer that I recall being held that long was Emoji Movie. Even Atomic Blonde reviews were available a full week or two in advance

• Locked thread