Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Fart City posted:

Which apparently won't be the case in the movie because the rights to The Stand are held by another studio. Which sucks.

Though suitably enough, didn't that most recent attempt to remake The Stand also cast McConaughey as Flagg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really enjoyed Wolves of the Calla. But I feel like Song of Susannah was entirely pointless. That is definitely an entry where it felt like nothing happened. I'm not even sure if I remember a single plot point from it, actually.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

3Romeo posted:

The first seventy or so pages won't have a lot of context except for King's preface (his "Argument"); they're the follow-up to a cliffhanger where Roland (the last gunslinger), Eddie Dean (a heroin addict from 1980 New York), Susannah Dean (his wife, a civil rights activist from the 1960's, who is missing her legs and is actually a hybrid of two personalities, the Hyde of which came from a brick dropped on her head), Jake Chambers (a boy who's died twice and come back from a different, 1970's New York), and Oy (a billy-bumbler, an animal that can kind of talk but is like a raccoon mixed with a Corgi) are on board a pink, bullet-shaped train named Blaine, and are in a riddling contest for their lives.

So what I'm saying is, if that doesn't make a goddamn lick of sense, just go ahead and skip it and start with the next section.

The first 70 pages of so of Wizard and Glass also will be better understood if you've read The Stand.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

At Comc-Con, to promote the movie, Sony and IGN teamed up with a local bar to turn it into the Dixie Pig. I wonder if that means that we'll see that in the movie, or if they safely chose something that the movie wasn't going to touch to use to promote it?

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-san-diego-bar-transformed-into-the-dark-towers-dixie-1797149441

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That's awesome, both that the Dixie Pig will be in it, and they'll actually have lobstrosities, even if in a background cameo. Though sadly I guess no dad-a-chuck, did-a-chee?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

According to Wikipedia, the girl in the village that Jake kind of flirts with is Susan Delgado? WTF?

Not even a single did-a-chack, dum-a-chee in the movie, either.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I mean, they're remaking The Mist of all things into a miniseries. They could've had thinnies and everything in the Dark Tower movies/mini-series along with it as part of that universe.

I did think that in Jake's dream at the start, with the Dark Tower being destroyed and the Todash beings coming over New York, that it was made to resemble the clouds from the beginning of the Mist movie. I do wish we had gotten an actual lobstrosity in here and then in the Mist, though. For some reason, I just really want to see a lobstrosity.

The funny thing is, the adaptation of 11-22-63 of all things included a ton of references to other King works. They even had a Flagg cameo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

Sony if you want to really make money with Stephen King properties do one of the Bachman Books, preferably Running Man or The Long Walk

I have to believe that whichever studio has the rights is frantically working to make a new version of the Running Man that is nothing but a vehicle for references to Donald Trump.

• Locked thread