Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So here's a thing that's been bugging me about the advertising so far (but could just be part of the advertising and not the film):
Walter is supposed to be always grinning, like really malicious and cold-blooded and just having a loving great time ruining things. You've got Matt McConnaughey, a dude known for that exact loving persona - why does he look like he's constantly just stubbed his toe?
I want him going Dazed and Confused on this character and we just haven't seen any indication of that chaos-god yet.
Not worrying or anything but an odd choice given the actor and the footage given to showcase him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's a very lazy crutch to use Jake as a fish out of water so Roland can explain the stakes and setting of his strange world from the start rather than letting us slowly discover things through natural character interactions. Not necessarily that this will be the case but if Jake is really the framing character then this is likely the reason.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

gileadexile posted:

Goddammit. Just look at my username and you can tell I'm a fan of this series. Just..poo poo. I was hoping they'd at least pretend to make something out of this.

Wish in one hand, poo poo in the other, see which one fills up first.

In all seriousness, these reviews are sad but not in the least bit surprising. Maybe they'll give it another go in a few years.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So glad they decided to open with twenty minutes of boring-rear end New York troubled kid's life rather than any number of interesting things they could've done by framing around Roland.

Also McConaughey is menacing but isn't played with that glee that I expected. It's a bit disappointing. I feel like maybe it was some poor directing to not have him go full McConaughey with the role.

Elba is fine. I think he does the character justice but changing his intrinsic motivation is a weird decision.

The sets are cool. Everyone is dressed too nicely though.

My fiance (who didn't read the books) seems to enjoy it well enough but I'm overall pretty disappointed with the choices they've made.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 4, 2017

• Locked thread