Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

So, if I read the Gunslinger and didn't particularly care for it, should I bother with these other books? King himself seems to hate it. He says so in the preface.

Would I be very lost if I just picked up Wizard and Glass without having read the other ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Red Oktober posted:

It would be better if you've read the rest, but you absolutely won't be lost - it's very self contained.

3Romeo posted:

The first seventy or so pages won't have a lot of context except for King's preface (his "Argument"); they're the follow-up to a cliffhanger where Roland (the last gunslinger), Eddie Dean (a heroin addict from 1980 New York), Susannah Dean (his wife, a civil rights activist from the 1960's, who is missing her legs and is actually a hybrid of two personalities, the Hyde of which came from a brick dropped on her head), Jake Chambers (a boy who's died twice and come back from a different, 1970's New York), and Oy (a billy-bumbler, an animal that can kind of talk but is like a raccoon mixed with a Corgi) are on board a pink, bullet-shaped train named Blaine, and are in a riddling contest for their lives.

So what I'm saying is, if that doesn't make a goddamn lick of sense, just go ahead and skip it and start with the next section.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot. :)

• Locked thread