Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I know it's a blockbuster and all but I was kind of hoping the Dark Tower movie would be more spaghetti western and less Equilibrium.

The thing with him reloading by pouring bullets from his hand like water was kind of cool but tossing six of them in the air in the exact shape of the cylinder and then then slamming the gun down to catch them all at once was anime levels of weightless, unimpressive flashiness.

Also unless the trailer is pulling a fakeout framing the story through Jake finding a portal to another world instead of Roland finding a kid from modern America in the middle of his Heavy Metal postapocalyptic western hellscape seems like a huge misstep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mr. Unlucky posted:

i hope someday someone makes a good story out of this loving mess. 20 years of books that are all over the place quality wise and a lovely young adult movie that looks like loving cosplay, yikes. as it is the best way to take it in is skimming the article on wikipedia.

third times a charm hopefully. on paper this is a good story, just terrible execution.

We got three different Spider-Man movie franchises in 10 years after decades of development hell and even Watchmen is currently in talks to be remade as a miniseries. If this bombs and the upcoming Castle Rock series does well I wouldn't surprised if they tried it again.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CelticPredator posted:

Still gonna see it though.

MarcusSA posted:

I'm still going to see it I think.

henpod posted:

You're goddamned right we are gonna go see this.

The next time any of you complain about Hollywood being unoriginal and making nothing but adaptations and remakes and sequels I want you to remember this moment and that you are the reason why they care more about recognizable IPs than the actual quality of the movie.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RCarr posted:

Ahh the racist take, please go on...

Between this and Lady Ghostbusters, Columbia/Sony seem to be doing a pretty good job using superficially progressive casting to get people to market their terrible blockbuster franchise-starters for them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Sounds like at the very least this will make for an entertaining episode of Radio Free Midworld.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Gerald's Game rules, it's a horror novel that is actually horrifying.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Tommyknockers is a bunch of cool ideas that fail to form a good cohesive whole. The part of the book when alien transformation gas turns a bunch of different townspeople into weird crazy tech savants and it materializes in different ways but always ruins their lives (the kid who is really into magic and builds a vanishing man trick that teleports his brother into outer space, the religious woman who turns her TV into a bomb because Jesus tells her to, a floating malicious Coke machine patrolling the city) is up there with No Great Loss from The Stand in terms of incredibly memorable one-shot character moments from King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Amazon's programming director has been open about the fact that their focus is now chasing that Game of Thrones dragon which is why I'm skeptical that any Dark tower adaptation of the theirs would deliver on the promise of the first few books instead of leaning super hard on being epic fantasy with guns.

• Locked thread