Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I have a weird, sinking feeling that the framed photo of the Overlook shown in the trailer is more Chekov's Gun than easter egg. Those shots of Roland and the Man in Black facing off against each other certainly look like they take place in a dilapidated building which has been left to the snowy elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Regarding shared universe chat: I just want to reiterate that I have a strong gut feeling that the showdown at the end of the film between Roland and The Man In Black is going to happen in The Overlook. That snowy, burned-out environment looks like nothing else that is shown in the rest of the footage, and showing the hotel itself in a framed picture is a bit too on-the-nose.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Fried Watermelon posted:

They go to the world where The Stand takes place. The Man in Black is Randall Flagg

Which apparently won't be the case in the movie because the rights to The Stand are held by another studio. Which sucks.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

On the topic of a shared Stephen King universe, I'm pretty sure that's what Hulu's Castle Rock show is supposed to be. The teaser explicitly mentions characters like Cujo, Annie Wilkes, and Alan Pangborn. Nobody knows exactly what it's supposed to be about, but Hulu is pitching it as their Stranger Things.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I believe "Captain Trips" is the name used by both stories.

This is correct.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Chairman Capone posted:

Though suitably enough, didn't that most recent attempt to remake The Stand also cast McConaughey as Flagg?

Not sure. But that would be a pretty sly way of getting around the rights issue.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Biggest mistake in the endgame of The Dark Tower is not introducing Mordred sooner. He pops up in the last book, kills one of the most important characters in the entire Kingverse, gets food poisoning, and then gets unceremoniously merc'd. If he had been introduced in Song of Susannah and allowed to actually develop as an actual threat, it could have led to a much more interesting finale, and possibly give readers the big, final confrontation that was more or less sidestepped by the Crimson King.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

I think I've posted this before but the fact that Elba appears to not wear a hat for the entire movie bothers me. I always picture Roland wearing a cowboy hat, and most of the book covers showed him with a hat.

drat near every one of the books that featured an illustrated cover showed him wearing the hat. It's such a stupidly simple thing to have not included. And I think it's a valid complaint, because it really feels like it encapsulates my current state of frustration over the adaption: it's all right there. It's like they're going out of their way to not use stuff that was inherently cinematic in the source material. I mean, how in the hell is "go then, there are other world's than these" not the primary focus of all of the marketing? It's a perfect synopsis of the core concept of the work as a whole.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Are there any passages in the actual books that talk about him wearing a hat?

I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually wear one since there is that passage about him having a huge chunk of his hair removed during the bit where they rescue jake from the house that tries to eat him.

I could swear that Eddie uses the rawhide from Roland's hat to build something in the second or third book. Doesn't he build a stretcher to drag Roland on? Maybe that?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So, wait, are they going for PG-13 or R? It has a 12A from the BBFC, but the trailer I saw before Baby Driver had a pretty explicit headshot with a squib and everything, which is usually a no-no in PG-13 movies.

I know the shot you're taking about. Weirdly the blood wasn't in the trailer before Spider-Man, but was in a spot shown during a commercial break on ESPN. I'm assuming it will be PG-13, but they might still be adjusting the levels of violence in the final cut.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Quote =/= edit

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Chairman Capone posted:

At Comc-Con, to promote the movie, Sony and IGN teamed up with a local bar to turn it into the Dixie Pig. I wonder if that means that we'll see that in the movie, or if they safely chose something that the movie wasn't going to touch to use to promote it?

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-san-diego-bar-transformed-into-the-dark-towers-dixie-1797149441

Dixie Pig's definitely in the movie. According to an IGN interview the director said you can see some lobstrosities on ice behind one of the food counters as an easter egg.

http://in.ign.com/the-dark-tower-theater/110738/news/comic-con-2017-the-dark-tower-director-nikolaj-arcel-on-his

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/07/14/wanna-see-whats-inside-the-dark-towers-incredibly-creepy-dixie-pig-location

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Wish I could say the news surprised me. I'm still gonna see it (how could I not?), but I'm tempering expectations big time. My biggest concern right now is that I hope it's just, like, a coherent narrative after all the editing is said and done. It's a big story, one which could very easily get lost in the woods.

God I hate studio execs in situations like this.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The thing that sucks is that making it a sequel was the smartest route to take. It allows you to trim the fat of the source materials while doubling down on the most cinematic parts. This, however, this feels trimmed to the bone. Like I see things I recognize in the trailers, but I'm more surprised by what I dont see. Like how are you gonna just ditch Tull? Or the slow mutants cave fight? And if you're going to condense and do a best-of, where is Blaine? Or Lud?

It almost feels like the movie has been market-tested out of its personality in order to cater to the broadest audience possible, which is utterly stupid in a world where Fury Road and Guardians Of The Galaxy are beloved quantities.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The Dark Tower isn't really a recognizable IP, though, it has a cult following at best. The Gunslinger is the only book in the series to crack the best-seller list, iirc, and it's the most self-contained by far. This isn't really akin to them dredging up Spider-Man for the billionth time or making a new Star Wars or Harry Potter series.

Honestly it kind of feels like it was finally just its turn on the "High Fantasy Novel Series Adaption" wheel of fortune. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if somebody high up in the studio foodchain just looked at a franchise of seven books by Stephen King and did the movie math and was like, "well that's at least eight theatrical releases right there. Let's make it happen."

I've been struggling to find the right word to describe how this adaption feels from the marketing, and I've finally settled on "pedestrian."

And for a series as batshit as TDT, it should be anything but. Like if it's going to be a trainwreck, I at least want it to be a foaming-at-the-mouth trainwreck with rhyming lobster monsters and sex ghosts.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

For real though, the way that the first flick was put together, I'm not entirely sure that Susannah would even make it to the series. I mean, I guess they could conceivably introduce Eddie and Susannah if there's a sequel, but I would expect there to be some pretty hefty changes made to the characters to make them fit into this particular interpretation. Like it or not, with a PG-13 rating we're probably not getting drug-smuggler-naked-gunfight Eddie, and I wouldn't expect them to touch the, ah, complicated nature of Susannah as presented in the book with a ten foot pole. Hell, I'd be surprised if race is even a blip on the radar in terms of her characterization if she ever shows up. Multiple personalities? Sure. But masturbating while stomping on fine china and shouting Stepin Fetchit lingo? Probably not.

I mean, good lord, think of all the time better dedicated to slow motion gun reloads that would soak up.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Le Saboteur posted:

Arcel confirmed in his AMA like a week or two ago that Oy, Eddie and Susannah are all planned for the sequel. And that they've had a lot of discussions on how to write Detta with Roland being black now.

Braver and more forward than I give them credit for. I seriously didn't expect that. Like in my opinion, The Drawing Of The Three would be one of the most complicated of the books in the series to adapt. It's all so... internal (literally in many cases). The narrative is very micro-focused compared to the serial adventure stylings of the The Gunslinger, even with the introduction of multiple timelines and dimensional doorways. Although I guess they'd probably just end up mashing it together with The Wastelands, realistically.

Still. Good luck to them. Susannah is a frustrating character to read with modern eyes, but she definitely serves as the heart of the ka-tet in many ways, and gets some of the more badass moments in the series. I'd love to see her tossing oriza plates on the big screen some day, but I feel like it's gonna be a hell of a hike to ever get there.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Darko posted:

Watchmen literally has everything in the book but the squid and the changes make sense. You're looking at the wrong version.

edit: the only changes were really adapting the book > comic books to movie > comic book movies. The fidelity is almost TOO much to be pointless if it wasn't commenting on movies as opposed to comics.

Eh. Not to go into a tangent, but the tone for the movie was super off in a lot of places. I really didn't need to see Rorschach doing Capoeria like Eddy Gordo.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Well, it looks like my biggest fears are confirmed in the reviews: it's just boring. I had a feeling it was going to suck, but I was at least hoping it would suck with enthusiasm. I wanted The Lord Of The Rings, was willing to settle for Dune, but looks like I'll have to suffer through Eragon.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I just read in a review that all of the blue, glowing crap on Roland's revolvers that has been a staple of literally every piece of marketing for the film has been removed in the final cut.

I am very interested to hear more details about the production now, because that is some super last minute tweaking. To what end, I can not even imagine.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 3, 2017

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

JailTrump posted:

Let us count the horrible movies Sony has put out in the last 2 years...

The Amazing Spiderman 2
Passengers
Inferno
Pixels
Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2
Robocop
Ghostbusters
The Angry Birds Movie
The Emoji Movie
The Dark Tower

Someone put this studio out of it's misery please.

This is the cinematic universe that Sony deserves.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Given their success with Stranger Things, aka "Silent Hill as written by Stephen King", I think a Dark Tower series would be right up Netflix's alley. Unfortunately I doubt they could keep Mcconaughey or Elba attached and it also doesn't seem like they're really in a spot to bail out failed IPs with some upside potential at this point.

The rights to King's books are tied up with multiple studios much in the same way that Marvel's properties are. I'd love to see this, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon with that Castle Rock show being developed at Hulu.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Mantis42 posted:

I can't believe Stephen King would lie to us about this being a good adaptation.

I mean I could realistically see how having your magnum opus be adapted to film could give you a bad case of fanboy glasses. Also, the man directed Maximum Overdrive, for god's sake.

Which I love, don't get me wrong. But it's not the product of a sane mind.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Also movie Jack is played by a late 70's/early 80's Jack Nicholson and is ergo already batshit insane from jump street.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The book also does a much better job of painting Jack as a victim of the hotel. It preys on his weaknesses and insecurities. In the movie it just seems to be a means of unlocking some latent violent tendencies. Like book Jack is broken down to the point of becoming a murderer, but movie Jack is just let off the leash.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

readingatwork posted:

That's convenient, because TDT books where already my favorite "How would I fix it" subject.

For example, I wouldn't spend several books building up the big bad only to have him die of food poisoning having accomplished nothing.

You and me both, my dude. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but Mordred should have been introduced in Song Of Susannah. Build him up to make him something to be feared. And then when you reach that point, then have him merc on of the major Kingverse characters.

gently caress man, build him up as a "false spoke" on the wheel of ka.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

ZorajitZorajit posted:

It's a fair write up of Goldman's questionable filmography but I'd take issue with the continued insistence on ripping into Batman & Robin. That movie deserves some re-evaluation as a camp piece and the gay interpretation of the characters courtesy Schumaker. It's an intentional film, which the usual critiques miss either absently or willfully.

The only proper way to re-evaluate Batman & Robin with its zany sound effects, miscast celebrity guest stars, and tongue-in-cheek sight gags is as a big-budget adaption of the 60's-era Adam West television show.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

readingatwork posted:

So what's the next cinematic abortion Sony plans to inflict on us?

The unnecessary Flatliners remake in September, then Jumanji in December. Neither of those will match the disappointment of Ghosbusters/TDK, but nobody was really asking for them either.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

DLC Inc posted:

this, Gerald's Game, and IT are all in theaters this year and I'm willing to bet that the worst book, Gerald's Game, turns out to be the best film

Sony if you want to really make money with Stephen King properties do one of the Bachman Books, preferably Running Man or The Long Walk

I had no idea Gerald's Game was getting an adaption. I am an absolute Stephen King nerd, but that book is hot trash. Yikes.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I'd love to see a proper adaption of N. It's King doing Lovecraft, and it loving rocks.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Well, I saw it.

The Maximum Overdrive trailer with Coked-Up Uncle Steve had more drama and tension.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

DirtyRobot posted:

I'm also pretty sure the first gunslinger pre-dates the coke binges. Dude was 18 and in college. As far as I know, the drugs happened after he had a fair bit of money from his first few bestsellers.

Yeah, he's on record as saying that he likes Cujo a lot, but doesn't remember writing any of it because he was so out of his face on drugs. That was post Shining, when the bank had really started to roll in.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Nah, it was Cujo. He talks about being so blitzed on drugs and alcohol that he doesn't remember writing it in On Writing. Though I think it's safe to say some of those issues likely played a part in the issues with Tommyknockers as well.

Ha, that factoid is actually part of the books entry on Wikipedia.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Still can't get over how this turned into such a soul-less mess of a film that went through a nightmarish production, when it could have been such a good movie as a faithful adaptation of The Gunslinger.

Like the books get insanely unfilmable later in the series but the first one is 100% totally perfect as basically a screenplay as-written with a really modest budget. Could have been made in the 80's and been good.

The thing that sucks is that by setting it in the "horn cycle," after the books, the producers basically had free reign to shuffle, compact, or expand elements of story as necessary. All of the later, bonkers rear end stuff could have been massaged to be more palatable, of explored from different angles.

They just lacked patience. Instead of just adapting The Gunslinger and calling it an easy win, they felt the need to like, completely alter the basic narrative thrust of the entire story, and do a half-assed "greatest hits" movie, which conveniently left to greatests of the hits for the ~sequels~.They had a franchise, and they shot themselves in the dick by tripping on the first step.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Without hyperbole, I think Akiva Goldsman is in like, the top three of the worst major Hollywood screenwriters today. Despite making a career of it, the man simply seems to have no grasp on compelling characterization or narrative. The fact that he consistently has his hands in so many pies of such significant size is just mindblowing.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Darko posted:

Yeah, it's real. It just got extremely truncated and studio interfered with for the final version.

I remember reading a postmortem that said one of the major problems with the film is that it was some kind of weird joint-production, and every company working on it had absolute veto powers. So if someone didn't like a bit of casting, set design, whatever, the whole deal would have to go back to the board. That synopsis gets one thing extremely right over the released film: like the books, it's weird as gently caress. I can see that veto hammer dropping more than once because of it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I read that one of the main issues with production is that Sony and Imagine both had absolute veto power on the film. That meant that when it came to anything from casting, to concept art, to even how the trailer was cut, if one of the production companies disliked it, they had to completely go back to the drawing board. The Dark Tower feels like a movie that was committeed to hell when you're watching it, and as it turns out, that was literally the case.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Dark tower seems like an inherently doomed property. Like say you recreate the first 3 scene for scene and everyone loves them. What do you do next? actually film the weird harry potter and doctor doom stuff that made up the second half of the story?

The problem is that the movie completely wastes the chance to refine and adjust the material by having it be set in the Horn Of Eld cycle. Ideally, given the nature of the new cycle, a competent filmmaker would expand on the source materials strength, and reduce the weaker aspects. That would especially be useful towards the back half of the series where it gets extremely meta. You could totally do Wolves Of The Calla, but adjust the designs of the Wolves so they act as more homage than direct adaption. Or hell, make them something new altogether. The new cycle was basically offered full approval to do whatever, but they somehow managed to use that opportunity to make the most boring, pedestrian end product possible.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I actually quite like the later books as well, but I don’t think it’s too out there to say that adapting them would be a logistical nightmare, not only in terms of gaining rights to other properties, but in terms of how the narrative gets a little loosey goosey towards the end. I still think there’s good stuff in those installments, especially in terms of examining the purpose of storytelling, but you’d definitely have to do some writing yoga to make it coherent enough for a filmed medium. Off the top of my head one of the major changes I would make would be to introduce Mordred to the story significantly earlier. His arc might work fine on the page where you have the benefits of an internal monologue, but without that you’d need a lot more time to establish what the character is and what his purpose is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I honestly feel like a good writer could mash wolves into a reasonable movie and "the dark tower" could get stripped down to an outline and rewritten better but that it still leaves "song" hanging out.

I can not imagine any possible way that even one second of song could get filmed that made anything resembling a movie anyone would watch. wolves and tower have a lot of work to make them good but at least have some seeds where you can see what they could work from to fix things, song just seems like there is not one single story beat that could even remotely make it into a film.

Like you can cut out the lightsabers in wolves and say "well the loop part is cool and there is an IT spider" in dark tower but there is no conceivable thing you could do to song that makes any of it filmable.

Song’s a brick wall, I’ll give you that. It’s easily the weakest book in the series, worsened by the fact that so little of substance actually happens in it until the very end. That’s a major point where whoever is helming an adaption would have to get a little creative.

• Locked thread