Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think I figured out what was annoying about this movie. It’s a TV show. This could have been the pilot for an elaborate new HBO series. The pacing seemed rushed. Like during Jake’s first dream, when the Man in Black steps out of the shadows. It was a 3 second scene that lost all dramatic impact with a quick cut. Which is something you usually see on a TV show that has a hard stop.

Why did they make it a 90 minute movie? It’s not often you see a movie that’s bad because they didn’t film enough of it. Usually it’s the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

It is rare to see the edges of something smoothed so glaringly, turning an acid western into a YA fantasy. It is not even that bad of an approach (blasphemous to the books, sure), it could've been done right - if any artistic touch was allowed instead of running a checklist of Things Every Franchise Movie Has.

Jesus loving christ, as if SKY LASERS weren't already a sign of a lovely movie, featured in every single superhero film.

Someone really wanted to make a Preacher movie instead of this one

I guess MiB’s word power dies with him. I thought I saw the little hate girl hugging her mom in the aftermath of the earthquake. Pity for all the people who got the ‘stop breathing’ command though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So is the franchise dead before it started? It wasn't a good movie, but apparently neither was the Mummy remake or 3 out of 4 DC superhero movies and from what I can tell those sequels are still going forward.

We're in peak TV so I'd be surprised if no one was interested in the TV property, even if it's ambitions are scaled back.

I haven't been this disappointed in a book-to-movie since the Hitchhikers Guide. But I still wanted a sequel.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I liked Jake. He was the only actor who seemed to be trying. I think he portrayed a kid coming unhinged pretty well.

I really disliked the father/son gunslinger scenes. It's probably my own fault for not watching David Palmer in anything other than AllState commercials, but that voice usually tells me how much I can save on auto insurance. Also that whole part REALLY felt like a TV show and not even a good cable one. It was more Walker Texas Ranger than Westworld. Maybe they were saving the dramatic final battle of the gunslingers for a future flashback.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I would legit not be surprised if this movie had a $30 million dollar budget.

Just looked it up. 60 million. That’s not terribly bad since 10 million of that probably went to McConaughey. But it’s not good either.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Did Roland's bullets seem to be small or larger based on the scene? Like when he's reloading they look like .22 caliber but then he gets .45's.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fart City posted:

I had no idea Gerald's Game was getting an adaption. I am an absolute Stephen King nerd, but that book is hot trash. Yikes.

Rita Hayworth and the Shawskank Redemption was pretty dull, but it made a great movie.

So many weird choices. Like we didn't really need to see the evil from beyond the Tower's force-field acting like dead loved ones. We could have just had a big red lobster beast charging out to attack everyone. Instead you had a murky fight scene where you're having to decipher exactly what's going on.

And for people in a world where everything wants to kill you, they sure light a lot of camp fires.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Isn't 90% of The Jaunt just exposition?

Like here's little Timmy going to the Jaunt!

<insert the history of the Jaunt>

OH NO! TIMMY!!!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My 12 year old inexplicably wanted to go see this movie with 4 of her friends. I gave a half-hearted attempt to suggest another film, but then remembered 12 year olds have terrible taste in movies anyway.

They liked it. Go figure.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GoingPostal posted:

It was Cujo? Huh. I'd heard it was Tommyknockers, which I'd believed due to how much of a mess that book is.

Even in my fanboy phase I could tell Tommyknockers was poo poo.

Cujo was good though. Coked up Steve is a good Steve.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It sounds like Sony wanted a property that'd spawn multiple TV and movie titles and maybe interconnect with other King universes so they micromanaged the first movie to a fault.

Everyone wants another Marvel, but no one knows how to. Well, I do know one secret - put more than one joke in the movie.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
They didn't even have lobstrosities. WTF is this tentacle bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The early ones were good, but everything started sliding downhill after Wizard & Glass, eventually culminating in some of the most drawn out and terrible death scenes in modern literature. The Dark Tower series is everything that's good about Stephen King and everything that's really really bad as well.

The fact they couldn't get the first book done right (and yes I know it's actually the 8th book so to speak) doesn't bode well since it was the most straight forward of the lot.

• Locked thread