Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This isn't being directed by Ron Howard, now - Ron was in the mix when it was still being worked as a weird cross-media thing. This version is directed by Nikolaj Arcel, who I think is most known for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?

I'd actually feel better about it if it was Ron Howard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

ruddiger posted:

So this isn't the one that's also going to have a tv show attached to it? I had no idea.

I just finished the DT series last year and enjoyed it enough. Looking forward to the movie, interesting to see the differences and parallels in the cycle, as it were.

It would be dope if the Low Men showed up in the Castle Rock tv show that's being planned.
[/

[quote="ruddiger" post="472553195"]
So this isn't the one that's also going to have a tv show attached to it? I had no idea.

I just finished the DT series last year and enjoyed it enough. Looking forward to the movie, interesting to see the differences and parallels in the cycle, as it were.

It would be dope if the Low Men showed up in the Castle Rock tv show that's being planned.

DT has been in development hell for a very long time. This movie is what's left of that big cross-media endeavor.

We ended up with no TV show, and this movie is a "sequel" to the DT books, essentially telling the story of the next turning of Roland's story.

From the rumors, the movie we'll see in August will incorporate elements of the first three DT books, but won't be a 1-1 telling because it's not the same timeline.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

super sweet best pal posted:

So this is only now happening decades after the height of King's popularity. And it's going to be a sequel to the books at the start of the altered timeline. I don't understand any of this decision.

If I'm being honest, that a DT movie is happening at all is kind of a miracle. There have been maybe a couple of adaptations of King's work that have been decent. And even if they made a decent DT adaptation, it likely wouldn't do gangbusters at the box office. It's just not that hot an IP, and it would be a costly project for any studio to take on - which is exactly why the big Ron Howard thing collapsed in on itself.

It's a risky movie to make, and Hollywood is a tremendously risk averse place. I suspect that this is happening because they've already sunk a bunch of money into development over the last decade or so, and decided to produce SOMETHING from all that work to see if it stuck to the wall.

• Locked thread