Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

There is nothing hip about Jake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The books have a ton of flaws but suggesting people just read the Wikipedia page instead is insanely dumb.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Shneak posted:

For fans of the books: was the kid the main character?

Not even close. Especially not in book 1.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Well, this was a surprisingly kid friendly movie (there's violence and killing but less severe than a Harry Potter movie) that felt exactly like a bad Star Trek TNG episode.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

EchoBase posted:

He was a well crafted threat

How so? I felt like he was the most generic, motivationless Dark Wizard I've seen in a long time.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

readingatwork posted:

Does (book spoilers) Roland let Jake die at the end? If not I'm calling bullshit.

No, Roland never has to make a single difficult choice and Jake is The Chosen One.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

readingatwork posted:

So no Tull/Alice then? That's too bad because Randal's trap was awesome and would have translated really well to film in the right hands.

Yeah there's nothing like that stuff here. It's a very, very sanitized movie.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I laughed when Roland teaches Jake how to use guns and then takes the gun back and never lets him use it in battle.

I still can't get over The Man in Black holding a hockey puck to Jake's head to read his midichlorian levels to see that he's the Chosen One.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 4, 2017

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Darko posted:

The funniest thing about this cycle of Roland is that he's obsessed with Walter instead of the Tower which apparently made him into a giant creampuff as opposed to anything resembling the first two books.

It took a pep talk from a sad teenager to get Roland to even begin to care about the Tower, but hey, we get to focus the camera on a Pennywise sign for ten seconds for no reason.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Deadulus posted:

Wait. So if this had been successful then the next movies would not have Flagg in them?

There's enough nonsense magic in this movie that they could do whatever they wanted, but yeah, it ends cleanly with the bad guys defeated and the world saved.

The movie's super sanitized violence is still the weirdest thing to me. Man in Black commands some people to kill each other and we get to hear some light furniture clattering in the background. Don't see a single punch thrown, don't see any aftermath, no one ultimately cares. Scenes like this completely neuter him as a threat.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 4, 2017

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Instead we get Roland and Walter taking turns shooting at each other in an empty, nondescript warehouse hallway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

McConnaughey has some nice campy moments but not enough of them. Most of the movie is just exposition.

• Locked thread