Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I'm also pretty sure the first gunslinger pre-dates the coke binges. Dude was 18 and in college. As far as I know, the drugs happened after he had a fair bit of money from his first few bestsellers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

Junkenstein posted:

I really hated how they changed some things I'd have thought were pretty intrinsic (like, erm, changing Roland's obsession with the tower to him not giving a gently caress about it), while including some cutsey easter egg references.

Like what the hell was the point of the 'Man in black fled across the desert.....' voice-over when that is the last thing Walter does in the film?

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Still can't get over how this turned into such a soul-less mess of a film that went through a nightmarish production, when it could have been such a good movie as a faithful adaptation of The Gunslinger.

Like the books get insanely unfilmable later in the series but the first one is 100% totally perfect as basically a screenplay as-written with a really modest budget. Could have been made in the 80's and been good.

Honestly, it just feels like an adaptation written by Akiva Goldsman, the guy behind Winter's Tale, iRobot, Lost in Space, I Am Legend -- and now, The Dark Tower. When his films aren't terrible, they are -- at best -- sterile, milquetoast oscar bait (e.g., A Beautiful Mind). For adaptations, he takes a few broad strokes from the source material, then for the rest he is very quick to say, "Oh, no, that doesn't work in film you see... I'll just change that to [whatever]" and from there he produces a kind of by-the-numbers Hollywood film that manages to tick off all the boxes of "How to Write Screenplays for Dummies" but at the end of the day still manages to completely suck.

I mean, sure, obviously when you adapt a book to a film you need to make changes. And no, a film adaptation of a book is not judged on its adherence to the source material. Lots of excellent films are very, very different from the book, and they're excellent because they're very different from the book. Sometimes this is because the changes were necessary due to the change in medium, and sometimes it's because the writer and/or director is just doing really interesting things and they have their own vision. Cool.

But Goldsman's changes are just... consistently weird. He takes cool and good things, and then asks, "How can I take this thing that is cool and unique and make it as uninteresting as possible?"

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 19, 2017

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

In all honesty the weird visuals of American Gods actually seems pretty perfect for the tone of Dark Tower, especially if you start out with a basic Western premise ("The man in black fled across the..." etc.) and then from there slowly descend into hosed up Midworld weirdness.

Yo Bezos, do that.

• Locked thread