Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
This film felt a lot like the Warcraft film, like John Carter and like Valerian.
I'm not saying it's as bad as those - as others have said it's more just 'dead' than bad - but it's got the same sort of issue. The person making it has way too much familiarity with the source material and seems to think that the audience does as well. That results in tonnes of meaningless references but also them talking about things with portent that are never really explained.

Granted I understand that the Gunslinger is important and people respect them. I guess the war that they lost was against Walter and...it was to stop him smashing the tower and letting in the demons? But I'm not entirely sure. Loads of the film was like this, like there's more to it that the writer didn't think they needed to explain because the people watching it already know. They do drop a few hints about how things work - for example he told that ratman in his lair to go and "put a face on" but it's very strangely expressed. More a reminder than a "Here's new information about how this world works".

I thought Walter was far too stupidly evil though. His plan is the same plan as Evil The Cat in Earthworm Jim. "Destroy the universe". Okay, but why? It's fine for Evil to have no reason for it but 'real' villains don't think they're evil. They think they're doing what's right, not just pointlessly being a jerk to everyone.

I didn't feel confused while watching it and it does manage to tell a story but it's almost like setting a film after all the cool things happen and now it's just the slow trudging to the end. Even what should be important is totally left out. For example at the end Idris shoots Matthew, then shoots the machine that the kid is attached to. The kid is then just next to Idris. What happened to the people who were in the room, the other skin changing guys? Did they just give up at that point and stand still while everything got destroyed?
Such a confused and weird film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread