Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ozza posted:

I haven't read the books, but the trailer looks oddly Young Adult-y. Do the books also have a hip teenager tagging along for the wild ride?

Yes, a preteen with a talking dog raccoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hodgepodge posted:

I hope they keep that detail.

This movie is going to go down in marketing history by figuring out that the trick to silence the "it was different in the book" crowd was to show some random still of a horn and then have every book hipster go "heh, if you actually had read the book you'd know it was different because _______"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Lets all agree to explain all the differences in the movie as the fact that the book we read was in universe written by an unreliable narrator stephen king having the story leak into his brain instead of explaining the differences as the time loop stuff.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Why is no one talking about the fact they replaced oy with a literal car insurance commercial. Because that was the only clever part of the entire adaptation.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ZorajitZorajit posted:

The Gunslinger would have worked as a movie, because its basically an inflated short story. It has very few characters and is pretty much just a collection of scenes.

The gunslinger would have worked as a movie because it's just literally "what if the man with no name from those cowboy movies was in the desert from canticle for leibowitz instead of the desert from historical texas"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Dark tower seems like an inherently doomed property. Like say you recreate the first 3 scene for scene and everyone loves them. What do you do next? actually film the weird harry potter and doctor doom stuff that made up the second half of the story?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It really just does seem like the thing everyone would want is the first few books faithfully adapted very close to the books and then the second half just basically totally rewritten. Like I think I like the later books more than some people but they are meh stories that would make the worst movies imaginable. It feels like a project that was a movie series that had two phases like that would be really hard to sell. Like pitching "I got this movie series, the first half is all really good but most people hate the second half! "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I honestly feel like a good writer could mash wolves into a reasonable movie and "the dark tower" could get stripped down to an outline and rewritten better but that it still leaves "song" hanging out.

I can not imagine any possible way that even one second of song could get filmed that made anything resembling a movie anyone would watch. wolves and tower have a lot of work to make them good but at least have some seeds where you can see what they could work from to fix things, song just seems like there is not one single story beat that could even remotely make it into a film.

Like you can cut out the lightsabers in wolves and say "well the loop part is cool and there is an IT spider" in dark tower but there is no conceivable thing you could do to song that makes any of it filmable.

• Locked thread