Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

So here's a thing that's been bugging me about the advertising so far (but could just be part of the advertising and not the film):
Walter is supposed to be always grinning, like really malicious and cold-blooded and just having a loving great time ruining things. You've got Matt McConnaughey, a dude known for that exact loving persona - why does he look like he's constantly just stubbed his toe?
I want him going Dazed and Confused on this character and we just haven't seen any indication of that chaos-god yet.
Not worrying or anything but an odd choice given the actor and the footage given to showcase him.

In the trailer, he reminds me of Pacino in The Devil's Advocate. He didn't go all crazy ham right off the bat either, you gotta build up to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
I thought the trailer looked good, but the fanboy whining starting up this early has got me excited. Thank you my faithful negative barometers :getin:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

There is nothing hip about Jake.

If I remember correctly, his dad does lots of coke.

I hope they keep that detail.

e: are this and It being produced by different studios? I would love if they managed to squeeze in cross-references.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Inzombiac posted:

There is no way you could film Susannah and not either make her a horribly racist joke or undercut her whole story.
King really poo poo the bed with her despite the unusual and interesting things he wanted to do.

The whole Odetta thing makes a lot more sense in 1987 than it does now.

Remove that and the weird demon rape thing and you have a good character.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
Go straight to the bad rear end black lady in a wheelchair and we're in action. Hell, she can be pregnant with a non-demon-rape baby, it'd be pretty revolutionary.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Basebf555 posted:

Salem's Lot is the only one with a direct connection(of the novels that have been adapted to films), and even then the events of that book all take place before the character in question enters the world of The Dark Tower. Plus, very few people give a poo poo about Salem's Lot.

And It, but you don't really need to make that explicit for Dark Tower films to work.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
Wolves was mostly good, but "no really these aren't just a lot like doombots with lightsabers and snitches, they are literally 100% those things from pop culture" was a bit of a sign that King was not working with metafiction well and the first hint that he wasn't going to execute his own appearance as a character or his ending very well.

e: I think King dislikes The Gunslinger because it was his first novel and he sees his own immaturity as a writer when he revisits it. As a reader, it's actually quite enjoyable. Wizard and Glass is a prequel outside of the frame story and you don't really need to have read anything beforehand to understand what is happening.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 13, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Fried Watermelon posted:

Second trailer dropped on July 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZC5FoJ-cPU

They really need to show Matthew McConaughey doing something actually evil rather than just walk and talk pure smugness. The trailers just kind of assume we all know that he's bad because he tells us he is.

Otoh I'm down for him and Elba chewing huge swaths of cgi scenery, independent of the actual quality of the movie.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

crime fighting hog posted:

Well, he doesn't have a lot of ammo after his visit to Tull :kheldragar:

Hell, I'm trying to remember if there's a moment where Roland genuinely *misses* without having someone bump into him or something.

I think the idea is he has a lot more ammo after they get to Earth?

We're probably seeing mostly shots from the action bits, but there will also likely be a lot more of those than a truly faithful adaptation of the books would call for.

I'd say my expectations at this point are for a "Constantine," not a great adaptation of the material but hopefully a good movie inspired by it.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 15, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Well Manicured Man posted:

"Hi, this is Roland, I'm here at SGDQ this year doing an any% run of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I saved five frames here by canceling the reloading animation. Now if you clip through the right walls here you can instantly get to Blaine and skip 30% of the story within the first five minutes."

This is the real reason he's doomed to relive his journey over and over.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

quote:

including J.J. Abrams, who originally optioned the material

With JJ Abrams and Steven King's power combined, they can do anything!

...except write a satisfying ending.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The Dark Tower isn't really a recognizable IP, though, it has a cult following at best. The Gunslinger is the only book in the series to crack the best-seller list, iirc, and it's the most self-contained by far. This isn't really akin to them dredging up Spider-Man for the billionth time or making a new Star Wars or Harry Potter series.

The Wind Through the Keyhole was on the bestseller list for quite awhile, from a quick as all hell Google check.

Steven King is kind of a big dealin terms of popular fiction; if this flops it will be entirely on the studio's account.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I actually just looked up sales figures, and... while I wasn't quite right on the specifics, my initial assumption that the DT stuff was fairly obscure for Stephen King seems to hold true. The books topped out at around 700k copies sold, which isn't exactly a small amount, but is well under his non-DT books (From a Buick 8 moved 1,750,000 copies and Cell moved 1,100,000).

(Interestingly, going by the list I found which cites Publisher's Weekly, his early books kinda sold like poo poo in their first trade runs.)

According to this, literally every single King book the NYT has tracked has been on their bestseller list (The Plant was released before they tracked electronic sales).

Trying to check this in more detail, I learned that first two Gunslinger books had incredibly limited initial releases until word got out that they existed; once properly released the first book was a #1 bestseller.

e: looking into it a bit more, it looks like the #1 credit for The Dark Tower is from the 2004 revised edition. Parse that how you will.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 2, 2017

• Locked thread