Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wasey
Apr 6, 2009
The last thread has been dead for close to three years, so let's see what has changed since 2014. I'm going to New Orleans for a long weekend in June and am in need of recommendations and critiques of the current food list that we have put together. Our hotel is in the french quarter so most of the places I have so far are in that general area. We fly in Thurs night and head home Sunday evening.

So far:

CDM
Verti Marte
Coop's Place
Mother's
Central Grocery for muffalettas
Willie Mae's Scotch House for fried chicken

Maybe:
Arnoud's - the website and various reviews make this place seem kinda stuffy, is it worth packing a jacket to dine there?
Commander's Palace - same as Arnoud's, we are planning on taking a tour of the garden district and will be in this general area

Any glaring omissions here? We are looking for beignets, po'boys, and general Cajun and Creole magic. Also as an aside to the dining, is there a recommendation for a company that does tours of the garden district? Is one even needed? We are also doing a cemetery tour with Save Our Cemeteries (St. Louis 1 and 2), any thoughts or reviews on on these guys?

Thanks and sorry for the bombardment of questions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wasey
Apr 6, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

When are you going? I want to give you a full local's rundown but I can't do it immediately.

How mobile are you?

How long are you staying?

What is your price range?

Anything you don't eat?

-No car but we can Uber wherever we need to go, relatively in shape and will be able to walk for miles

-Staying three full days, arrive Thursday evening (6/15), leave Sunday evening (the 18th)

-Not too concerned regarding price, it is a short trip and we are shooting for a fun weekend

-No restrictions. Food is one of the main reasons we are going!

Thanks for taking the time to write something up, I appreciate it!

wasey fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 8, 2017

wasey
Apr 6, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

tons of great info

Thank you so much, this is an awesome list!

wasey
Apr 6, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

No trip report?

Coming out of the diabetic coma, we had a great weekend!

Thurs night: beignets at Cafe du Monde (least favorite beignets of what we tried), Coop's Place

Friday: beignets at Morning Call (best beignets), Cochon, jambalaya from Felix's on Bourbon, Verti Marte ,

Saturday: beignets at Cafe Beignet, nice crepes at the farmer's/coop market, Willie Mae's for fried chicken, hurricanes at Pat O'Briens

Sunday: more beignets from Cafe Beignet (a couple blocks from the hotel, easy choice), muffaletta from central grocery

We walked around the French Quarter and CBD a fair amount and enjoyed everything we did/ate, this only scratched the surface though and we are looking forward to our next gluttony adventure when we return

• Locked thread