Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Spaceports, and we should of course call spiderland Eight Legs Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
A bit disappointing end to that war, but at least we were smart enough to sue for peace after our version of the battle of volgagrad.

I vote we research autocannons next.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Spaceports and name the planet Muffet.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

McGavin posted:

Rename Spider World to Arachnotopia.

I'm going to have to agree with this instead of my earlier statement.

Also, spaceports.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I've already voted for the research, but for the planet name...

Mister Adequate posted:

We should call it No Spiders Here Of Any Sort Whatsoever.

We need to give some pleasant advertising. Really who would want to live in this place? Anyone who sees spiders there deserves to be shamed as the liars that they are. All glory to the UN!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
UN Dept. of Foreign Relations - Intelligence Report
Assembly of Kitsu Planets

The Kitsu are a vulpine race that originally hail from the planet Malperdy in the Malperion system. They stand at an average height around 4 feet 8 inches, and as such, Human visitors to Kitsu buildings often find themselves bending over and crouching to fit. (The Kitsu term for human literally translates to "tall ones.")

Kitsu society is based around the "den," a group of familes that is comparable to a tribe or clan in Human terms. Each den selects an executive, which acts as both the clan's leader and representative to the Assembly, the governing body. The First Executive is the equivalent to the Prime Minister in a parliamentary system, and as such is elected from the membership of the Assembly. There are currently around 350 dens, and with expansion to other planets, the number is increasing as established dens split off new planetary branches.

The Kitsu society has a belief that everything in the universe asks questions about themselves, and it it the Kitsu's duty to answer. As such, the Kitsu scientific community is held in high regard, and it is considered a great honor for a scientist to be accepted to the General Scientific Academy.

As a side note, Human culture and cuisine have been very popular in Kitsu society, although the species is lactose intolerant.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Despite the Kitsu's lactose intolerance, it's amazing that our biologies and organic systems are close enough together to allow any transfer of cuisine. Our scientist must seriously revise our theories on the genisis of life and revive the Pan-Spermia hypothesis!

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Pan, sperm and cuisine are words that have no place in any treaty that is to be signed by our empire.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Voting closed!

• Advanced Spaceport: Weavered, AJ_Impy, alcaras, kw0134, Stormgear, Kanthulhu, Wyld Karde, Deformed Church, wedgekree, kaosdrachen, Veloxyll, Mister Adequate, Aethernet, Ratoslov, Trivia (14)
  • Deep Space Stations: POOL IS CLOSED, Aerdan, double nine (3)
  • Autocannons: Poil, Yadoppsi (2)
  • Afterburners: none
  • Ceramo-Metal Materials: none
  • Fusion Missiles: LLSix (1)

An update will come tonight (hopefully)

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

The General Assembly, concerned about the state of the Fleet, request that Dr. Batista continue work on spaceports to defend the UN's planets and produce destroyers.

Dr. Dietrich finds evidence of ancient alien tampering on Sninyspol Ia.

The Blessed Parid Alliance, surprising the Department of Foreign Relations, requests a 30-year active sensor link for some minerals. After picking their jaws up off the floor, they accept.

Admiral Lewinson decides to retire from the Fleet and enter politics. She is elected as the new President. Her traits give us +5% happiness and +1 monthly Influence.

She appoints former UNS Rickenbacker captain Agustina Ruiz as her successor to the Admiralty. Admiral Ruiz is said to be an expert at keeping ships spaceworthy on a budget.

The Mexico City-class destroyers recieve their preliminary design. Construction will begin soon.

Dr. De La Cruz dies from heart failure during research.

Dr. Zhivenkov moves from the Litvyak to Earth to head up the Physics department.

Replacing Dr. Zhivenkov is Dr. Feiyan Cao, known for her keen mental agility and ability to survey faster than the average scientist.

Once again, the General Assembly meets to decide a new legislative plan for the coming months.

GENERAL ASSEMBLY
Well, sorry for the short update, but it's time for another major decision from you guys. Since we have completed Expansion last time, we get to pick a new tradition group. The available ones are:

• Domination: War Demand cost to subjugate other empires is reduced by 25%, and a +20 opinion bonus is applied when diplomatically subjugating other empires. When all Traditions here are adopted, all research that is not shared between us and our subjects are given a 30% research speed bonus for both parties.
  • Prosperity: Mining station build cost is given a 33% discount. When all traditions here are adopted, Terraforming cost is reduced by 33%.
  • Harmony: All the pops in our empire get a 10% Happiness boost. When all traditions here are adopted, Consumer Goods become 15% cheaper.
  • Supremacy: Border Range increases by 20%. When all traditions here are adopted, the fire rate of our military ships will increase by 15%.
  • Diplomacy: Diplomatic influence costs are reduced by half while trust growth increases by 33%. When all traditions here are adopted, the trust cap will increase by 50.
  • Discovery: Research stations will become 33% cheaper. When all traditions here are adopted, research speed will get a 10% speed boost.

Here are the faction recommendations:
The True Democracy Group will not get a happiness boost from choosing any branch (since all their issues are satisfied, they're giving us a +1.8 monthly influence boost), but they think Harmony is the best way to go for now.

The Xeno Aid Forum, which is at only 53% happiness right now (thus, not giving us an Influence bonus), will get a happiness boost if the Diplomacy branch is chosen.

Or you could go Independent and choose one of the 4 other branches.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Let us be diplomats.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Prosperity sounds good from all the 'mining is really important you guys' posts earlier. (And I know jack poo poo about this game, so I'm blindly believing them :v:)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Prosperity War fleets are expensive.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Live long and Prosper.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Gotta be prosperous.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Prosperity

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
Prosperity to show these xenos humanity's true power.

Capitalism.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Well prosperity is the obvious choice and one that people always take alongside expansion because they are The Best Choice.

So voting Supremacy! :hist101:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Just to be contrarian, and because I personally love it, I'm gonna vote for Discovery!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Discovery! Lets put the X back into 4X!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Supremacy! Lets put two Xs back into 4X!

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Prosperity is the boring choice. I'm going to vote for supremacy.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Diplomacy is the best, for it will ensure friendships across the stars!

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Discovery . Because isn't it "a big Universe out there?"

We are also in the best Galaxy shape to take advantage of Planetary Survey Corps, a Discovery pick that increases our research as we survey planets. Who knows, we may have won our last war if our fleet was more technologically advanced...

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Just noticed that we have our first non-Human pop on one of our worlds.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Danny Glands posted:

God help them if we haven't instituted internal migration controls to stop furries getting offworld.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Danny Glands posted:

You also have your first human and non-human ghost pops. :ghost:

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Danny Glands posted:

Hoo boy, we've really let the planet-side economy stagnate while focused on war and building our fleets. Despite President Judith cutting her eye-teeth in the military, I hope she will realize a strong civilian sector will lead to a strong nation and a stronger military in the long run.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Yadoppsi posted:

Hoo boy, we've really let the planet-side economy stagnate while focused on war and building our fleets. Despite President Judith cutting her eye-teeth in the military, I hope she will realize a strong civilian sector will lead to a strong nation and a stronger military in the long run.

We did just finish a massive tile blocker clearing campaign, so you can bet I'll be doing domestic upkeep on the next update.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

• Domination: none
  • Prosperity: Haifisch, paragon1, AJ_Impy, Lynneth, alcaras, Stormgear (6)
  • Harmony: none
  • Supremacy: Weavered, McGavin, Kanthulhu (3)
  • Diplomacy: POOL IS CLOSED, Mister Adequate (2)
  • Discovery: Luhood, Veloxyll, Yadoppsi (3)

The General Assembly begins work on a package of economic legislation.

Building begins on Terra Nova and Gaia's Landing.

After the research agreement with the Kitsu expires, it is re-upped for another 30 years.

A colony ship is dispatched to the planet Crienttorb, a large planet with food described as "of the gods" by the scientic staff.

Something mysterious is detected on Rakperangny Ic. Dr. Dietrich is dispatched to investigate.

Arachnotopia is successfully colonized. A method to keep the giant spiders at bay is being tested.

The Hahdiinspaan and the Buzzards enter a non-agreement pact, causing many to be concerned.

The Trinikans give us a payment to establish a two-way active sensor link.

The Kitsu tell the Diplomatic Corps that they are not happy with the way the Buzzards operate.

Rakperangny Ic has an abnormal amount of chronitron fields around it, and Dr. Dietrich concludes that this planet is not in its correct time.

Buzzard-Hahdiinspaan relations continue to worry both the UN and the Kitsu.

The UN responds by beginning to restock the Navy.

Dr. Dietrich discovers strange transmissions from Rakperangny II, and decides to investigate it.

Dr. Zhivenkov begins work on refining a strange gas one of the science ships discovered.

Dr. Cao discovers pirates in the Hucuco system.

Dr. Dietrich is shocked to learn of non-corporeal beings inhabiting Rakperangny II -- now also known as Tollok Rang. Before he knows it, Dr. Dietrich accidentally agrees to transport the species to another gas giant.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Well, that'll be one for the record books. Plural. It's going to be setting a lot of different records.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Oh my god! We must devote all available resources to aid these poor fellows by any means necessary!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Oh look, it's the Dathnak.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Really now, why would somebody try to nuke a gas giant? Especially since there appears to be such a nice, friendly, and certainly not annoyingly time consuming species living on it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Gas giant aliens and a planet out of time. Now that's some sci-fi.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

AJ_Impy posted:

Oh look, it's the Dathnak.

That's a really weird way to spell Slylandro

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Yadoppsi posted:

Really now, why would somebody try to nuke a gas giant? Especially since there appears to be such a nice, friendly, and certainly not annoyingly time consuming species living on it.

My sentiments exarctly.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Working on the update right now, but ladies and gentlemen, good news: We have spider armies!

However, we are limited to just 5.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Danny Glands posted:

Working on the update right now, but ladies and gentlemen, good news: We have spider armies!

However, we are limited to just 5.

But with the strength of forty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The buzzards will beg for the chance to surrender in the face of spider war.

• Locked thread