Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Nanomechanics
Planetary Unification
Field Modulation

Concentrate on building Orbital Mines.

Early investment in mineral production is going to pay off in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Weavered posted:

Also I'm pretty new to the game, will you be going into the explaining some of the strategies you do during the LP? An informative SS LP would be a great.

I've played Stellaris off and on since it came out. Here is my logic for my choices:
Physics (Blue): None of these choices are really great. We probably won't be facing an energy crunch for some time, so that makes the solar panels and new power plant somewhat less than useful. However, the research assist is even less useful right now, considering our science ships will be out there surveying systems for the foreseeable future. None of the selections are vital or even that useful right now, but having that new power plant researched will do us more good than the other choices.

Society (Green): Terraforming is useless to us right now. The cost is way, way too much (Thousands of energy) right now. Expanding our naval cap is also not very useful. It's highly unlikely we would need an expanded fleet in the near future. That leaves Planetary Unification. Influence is always good to have. In the immediate term, having lots of influence lets us build more frontier outposts, which let us claim areas of space without having to colonize. This is really useful for strategically restricting where other empires can colonize, and it lets us build mines and research outposts in rich systems that ordinarily would be outside our colonized boarders.

Engineering (Gold): We don't need upgraded weapons just yet. We also don't need better starbases right now. Grabbing an upgraded research building right now will pay dividends down the road. It isn't ideal right now because our only bonused Engineering research tile is buried under an expensive (for us) tile blocker, but it's the best choice.

In the early game there tends to be a massive mineral crunch. Everything we can do is dependent on how many minerals we have. Early investments into mineral production makes everything easier. It's going to be a while until we get another pop (and afford to bulldoze the slum) on our bonused tile. Then we have to build the mine, and with that we're not going to get all that much. The more minerals we get now, the more minerals we can reinvest in our surrounding systems to get more minerals.

Other choices are not ideal. We shouldn't expand our planetary buildings because the tile clearing and construction of whatever building we decide will be very costly to us relative to our present income.

Colonization is great, but very costly. It's 300ish minerals and a year to build a colony ship, then another year to actually bring a colony online. Then a few more years before it grows its first pop so we can get resources outside of the first tile we pick for our ship shelter.

We don't need an expanded fleet because the liklihood of being involved in a war this early is very unlikely.

tl:dr: construction of mining stations are the best move at this point. Research stations are also nice if we run out of mineral stations to build in our borders.

• Locked thread