Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

raifield posted:

I can't believe I never thought to try trading with the other empires. I guess years of other strategy games have hardened me to expect nothing agreeable from the AI.

I don't have the Leviathans expansion, now that I am not playing so stupidly I'll probably enjoy this more and buy the expansions.

That's perfectly understandable, I certainly haven't played many strategy games where you could even semi-reliably trade with the AI. [Edit]: Especially not 4x games. [/edit].

Be aware that while the AI won't accept to give you a research agreement unless their attitude is 'receptive' (green) or better, they're perfectly willing to accept one from you in exchange for a minerals or credits as far down as 'wary' (the lowest yellow) attitude. Having such an agreement will even slowly improve their Trust of you, without needing a non-aggression treaty. That's not quite money-for-nothing, since they do gain something out of the deal, but it doesn't cost you anything directly, either. Do note that it's perfectly possible for either of you to rival or declare war on the other, and AFAICT it doesn't cancel the research agreement. OR at least, it will resume after the war is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread