Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Dancer posted:

Hey, I dunno if this LP is meant for people familiar to the game or not, so feel free to ignore me, but you haven't explained that 4x4 grid on the very first screenshot.

Hope I'm not stepping on Danny's toes, but I'll cover the basics here.

That's the surface of Earth, showing the population and what they can do. Each tile can be worked by one pop which is represented by the people. They can be freely dragged into different tiles if it's decided that someone's of more use somewhere else. Moving populations between planets is time consuming and expensive and may not even be allowed depending on the current policies the UNE has in place. At one the highest level of personal freedom, pops may move themselves because they decide another planet is a nicer place to live. At the other extreme, the only way they move is under government order, regardless of whether they want to or not.

The icons under each tile represent a bonus to a certain type of activity in that tile.
The red diamond is the icon for minerals. That's the Making Things resource. Buildings, ships, stations, all have a cost in minerals as well as a construction time. It's generally a good idea to have both a large mineral input and when possible a large reserve.
The yellow lightning bolt in a circle is Energy, that's the Paying For Things resource. Pretty much everything you build will have a maintenance cost in energy. You don't need quite such a large monthly income of energy so long as you aren't running a prolonged deficit, but some tasks, such as terraforming, do have a large energy cost attached so a decent reserve is again a good idea.
The green apple is food. Pretty self-explanatory, your pops eat food and will grow quicker if you have a surplus. If you have a deficit, pops start dying. The size of your food reserve is set by government policy, from small (200), through medium (1000) to large (2000). Surplus food will be stockpiled in the reserve for use against disaster. Once the reserve is full, surplus food goes to boost pop growth. So yes, if you change policy to a larger reserve you'll lose the growth bonus until the new reserve level is filled.
The blue atom, green globe and orange cog represent science bonuses to physics, social and engineering respectively. More science points makes faster tech, and sometimes gets used in special project, which I imagine we'll be getting to shortly.
Finally, the vortex looking symbol is Unity, representing your cultural progress. Unity can be used to unlock bonuses and special abilities. Again, we'll certainly be seeing more of that later.

The black and yellow bordered tiles are currently obstructed and unworkable. We'll need to spend minerals, energy and time to clear them before we can set a pop to work on the tile and build them a facility to boost the bonus. Once we start colonising other worlds you'll also see some black and red bordered blockers, which means we'll need to research some tech before we can pay to clear blockers of that type.

Edit: All that and I forgot to include my voting.
Our resource focus should be on stations initially. Working a planet can pay more in the long run, but as others have pointed out, we need pops to grow and blockers to be cleared, which makes for a high initial cost. Get some mining stations up and maybe we can afford to get Earth up to speed. That said, I suggest we invest our initial minerals in a second science ship. The faster we get exploring the faster we can figure out where we want to go in terms of expansion and construction.

Gagarin should investigate Alpha Centauri next so they can check out that habitable planet, and if we do get a second science ship we can send them straight away to Sirius to get a look at the other potential colony.

For our research priorities, I'd like to see Nanomachines for engineering, on the basis that a better engineering lab will let us tech up faster, and the earlier we get better labs the more we'll benefit over time from snowballed research speeds. In terms of social science, Planetary Unification is the best choice available. We don't need to expand the fleet, we're a long way from being able to pay terraforming costs, and that extra monthly influence will undoubtedly prove useful toward furthering our political goals. Finally, for physics research I'd suggest Field Modulation. While none of the physics choices are vital this early in the game, it can't hurt to be able to ramp up our energy production and get a surplus going.

Wyld Karde fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
The political capital (influence) we'd need to hire a replacement for Dr Deitrich just isn't worth it. So he's a little slower in delivering results, they still get delivered.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Prosperity will provide for our economic needs for years to come. We can repay the Turexmian peoples for their act of economic sabotage by outdoing them at their own game.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Additionally, we get an ascension perk when we fill out a tradition tree. Those can be very powerful buffs. If we split traditions it'll take us longer to fill a tree and get our first ascension perk. With that in mind, we should stick with the expansion tree and get Colonization Fever. More unity means faster traditions, which means filling in the tree faster.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Colonise Anreya II. Space spiders are cool, but cool doesn't give us the infrastructure we'll need when the inevitable interstellar war begins. Big fleets with big guns need a big population to support them.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
The faster our colonies grow, the sooner they're a net positive on our economy, fuelling further expansion. Let's encourage our people to find a new life in the colonies.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
We need farms to be our immediate priority. If our population can't eat they can't do anything else either. In light of growing tensions with the Buzzards I suggest we rival them and develop our fleet in preparation for their inevitable declaration of war.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
A Courier Network is the better choice. What value owning a larger slice of space if we can't effectively govern it? As for the buzzards, we should not fire the first shots, lest we become tyrants ourselves, but when they inevitably kick off, we should vassalize them with the goal of re-educating their populace into eventually becoming full citizens of our peaceful collective of sapients.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Mastery of Nature Colonies tend to have a lot of downtime when they're first being established, population growth taking time and all, being able to use that time to clear out all the blockers at no expense to the treasury will give us a hell of an edge. It also means we can get at many of the resource bonuses early in a given colony's life, letting us reap the rewards all the sooner.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Much as I'd like to see us adopt autocannons for the sheer dakka, Advanced Spaceports is the way to go here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Haifisch posted:

STCs and Robots. :awesomelon:

Cheap ships, with cheap crews to operate 'em. No way that's gonna go Skynet on us, nosiree!

• Locked thread