Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

punched my v-card at camp posted:

I'm honestly more interested in the fact there are two Iowas and that one of them is entirely in Missouri at this point.

I would guess one of them is the independent duchy of Iowa. And the other is the kingdom of Iowa which has managed to lose control of dejure Iowa after acquiring territory outside it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

punched my v-card at camp posted:

I'm honestly more interested in the fact there are two Iowas and that one of them is entirely in Missouri at this point.

One is probably Duke of Iowa and the other is probably the King of Iowa.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

theblastizard posted:

One is probably Duke of Iowa and the other is probably the King of Iowa.

Hawkeyes/Cyclones.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Chapter Ten: If thine eye offend thee

August of Washington posted:

From the diaries of August of Washington, a commander serving under King Nicholas II

I might well have retired at some earlier point, I was well rewarded with coin and a sizeable estate on Peeble's Island near where the Mohawk and Hudson joined. But his lordship was never without a war to fight and even in my older years I enjoyed a good scrap too much for my own good. Following his glorious capture of Hudsonia he distributed many of his new lands among loyal Americanists such as myself, but there remained an entrenched class of Anabaptist nobles who remained a thorn in the emperor's side.

In April of 2760 good news came to the realm with the birth of Nicholas II's son and heir, named for his prideful father.

The alliance which had brought Hudsonia low began to break down around this point. Nicholas' sister and duchess of South Jersey passed away during childbirth in September and the Lord Proprietorship of New York passed out of the hands of the Wayne family, who had deep ties to the Hel dynasty. This latter event was seen as an opportunity to Nicholas. The New Yorkers had proven their value as allies in the holy war, but an alliance based on marital ties was not reliable enough for him. Nicholas also viewed the income of the wealthy republic as a potential source of soldiers wages for future conquests. With his dynastic ties to the realm now severed, he declared a war in October to force the Republic of New York to pay him a yearly tribute.

A force of 7,000 men was quickly gathered and Brooklyn fell in a matter of days.

Manhattan took longer, but by the next year it too had fallen into Nicholas' hands. By this time a core of the Pennsylvania-Hudsonia army was a group of veteran heavy infantry which had served in Nicholas' campaigns. These men would in time make up the bulk of the "Capital Guard", Nicholas II's personal retinue kept at arms year round.

In December of 2761 a second child, a daughter, was born to Nicholas and Melody. This would be the first of many.

2762 was much like 2761, another city taken, another daughter born.

If he had not yet cemented his reputation as a masterful commander and strategist before, the defeat of New York in 2763 did the trick. Nicholas was seen by many as the natural leader of not just his kingdom, but of the whole community of the faithful.

But to those outside of the faith the king was seen as nothing less than a deplorable tyrant. In November of 2763 Nicholas declared war on the remnants of the High Court of the Potomac in support of his vassal (and ex-king of Pennsylvania) Duke Theodore for his claim on Pottsville. Seeing this as an opportunity to attack her lord while his attention was split, the powerful Duchess of Champlain demanded her independence from Hudsonia. A crafty and skilled ruler with control over the whole east side of the Hudson river as well as many lands north of the Mohawk, the Anabaptist Barbara II had reason to believe she could threaten her way to self-rule.

She did not know Nicholas II very well. Raised in a time of constant war throughout the Mid-Atlantic, he feared no conflict and saw conquest and land acquisition as the American Dream.

In battle after battle Nicholas was triumphant and the revolt soon fizzled out. None of the other Anabaptist lords joined Barbara's side, fearful of retribution from the man many Hudsonites called "the butcher".

King Nicholas II made a great show of punishing the duchess. All the lords of Hudsonia were gathered at Albany and Barbara was marched before her king in chains. She was asked if she realized that her actions had offended and disrespected her lord. She replied yes. She was asked if she would make recompense, which Barbara though referred to a promise of a ransom she had made to the king's chancellor while in prison. She answered yes once more.

At this the duchess' own court chaplain was marched into the room and forced to read aloud from Matthew 18:9 "And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee". A hot poker was offered to Nicholas II and he, personally, blinded the proud daughter of the house of Allen. Afterwards he forgave her of her crimes and sent her away to her court in shame.

The duchess was never the same afterwards, as one might expect, and did not live much longer. Nicholas II attempted to improve his standing with the people of Hudsonia afterwards, but his cruelty to the duchess was long remembered by Hudsonites and Anabaptists in the region.

Anabaptists especially were outraged by the blasphemous manner in which the Americanist king had mutilated Barbara and rebellions were common throughout the late 2760's. These did not last long, however. The veterans of Nicholas II's conquests were more than a match for poorly trained and armed peasants.

Although they had no way to resist militarily against the might of the king, the remaining Anabaptist lords were able to block the passage of a number of law reforms Nicholas sought. While many could and were bribed into compliance, his victim Barbara was able rally many minor Anabaptist lords into resistance. To circumvent this Nicholas ordered the duchess to end her backing of a plot to gain claim on his title of Duke of Maryland. Predictably she refused, giving Nicholas cause to have her arrested. She would be thrown in the oubliette of Castle McHenry until she was willing to support his reforms in exchange for her freedom.

Even with a force of 8700 men nearby the craft old duchess escaped capture and soon rode down along the Hudson River to raise her forces in arms against the king.

The war went very much the same as the previous one. Nicholas second war against the duchess did little to endear him to his Hudsonite and Anabaptist subjects, but it kept his popularity with the faithful high. When President Pittsfield died in 2770 there were many who called for lowering the eligibility age to allow "The Magnificent One" to run. But Nicholas made no move to run for the position and these demands quieted down. Eventually the position went to President Gibson, an Appalachian famed for his pride who attended his inauguration in golden boots.

In March a second son, part of a pair of twins, was born to Nicholas.

In May the old duchess died from a combination of old age, severe stress and depression over her maiming. Her daughter Caroline was the one who inherited the title of duchess, as well as the responsibility of surrendering to Nicholas II.

In a different time the death of Caroline during an attempt to escape King Nicholas II's dungeons would have been viewed with suspicion and outrage.

But Nicholas II's reign in many ways parallels that of High Fabricator George I. Both were powerful lords who expanded their realms through conquest and both came to wield tremendous power within their faith community, to the point that they could safely act without fear of reprisal or even criticism.

Caroline's daughter Hillary proved more amenable to her liege's wishes, thanks to a mixture of generous gifts and threats of further destruction to her dynasty. This allowed King Nicholas II to pass his reforms which strengthened the power of the king.

With Hudsonites and Deitsch too fearful to threaten his rule and the laws of the realms adjusted in his favor, 2772 saw Nicholas set his sights on the obvious target. Despite repeated defeats and decades of decline, the High Court of the Potomac continued to hold on to Washington well into the late 2700's. But the days of a separate church institution holding power over the holy sites of Americanism were quickly fading. Nicholas II made it clear, with his declaration of war for Washington, that he was to be the leader of both the political and spiritual communities of Americanism.

The war that followed was really more of a single battle and a short siege. Washington fell easily to the forces of Nicholas and he soon turned the holy city into his capital and added a third crown, that of the King of Columbia, to his regalia.

After a series of negotiations the Duke of Piedmont, have lost much to assault by the HCE, pledged his fealty to Nicholas II. This was enough to cement his majesty as the rightful leader of the faithful in the eyes of all but the most cynical critic.

A new empire was birthed in July of 2773, but it would not last for long.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yes i love these! has anybody done an LP of california yet?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
There cannot be a Columbia AND a Holy Columbian Confederacy. You know what to do.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Those map colours are a crime, the false Columbia must die :argh:

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
So I know that I'm kind of breaking the game over my knee at the moment, which may not make for the best reading long term. Nicholas II is something of an Alexander figure, someone who shows up once in a blue moon and makes some major changes. Once he's gone things will calm down a bit and we'll get a moment to look at how the world has changed in the last 130 years, Nicholas has not been the only one turning large sections of the map into a solid color.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Clayren posted:

So I know that I'm kind of breaking the game over my knee at the moment, which may not make for the best reading long term. Nicholas II is something of an Alexander figure, someone who shows up once in a blue moon and makes some major changes. Once he's gone things will calm down a bit and we'll get a moment to look at how the world has changed in the last 130 years, Nicholas has not been the only one turning large sections of the map into a solid color.

No worries. It's a Paradox game, turning large sections of the map into a solid colour is the point. Besides, the bigger your kingdom is, the bigger the civil wars will be.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Friend Commuter posted:

No worries. It's a Paradox game, turning large sections of the map into a solid colour is the point. Besides, the bigger your kingdom is, the bigger the civil wars will be.

We also accidentally turned it even more into a solid color by having the same color as the Holy Columbian Confederacy

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Map Painting ain't an issue as long as you have a goal. Considering your goal currently is "The Thirteen Colonies" I don't see how you are any way near done with it all.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

theblastizard posted:

We also accidentally turned it even more into a solid color by having the same color as the Holy Columbian Confederacy

What better way to sneak up our your prey?:getin:

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 24, 2017

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Clayren posted:

A new empire was birthed in July of 2773, but it would not last for long.
I really, really wish you had waited until the 4th of July, 2776 to do this.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

JT Jag posted:

I really, really wish you had waited until the 4th of July, 2776 to do this.

The Hel family are Secret Canadians. :canada:

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

theblastizard posted:

Thanks for saying this, because you saved my color-blind self five or ten minutes of squinting at the screen and hunting for some subtle difference.

I've never heard of this mod, but I'm definitely loving it, and loving the LP. Keep up the great work!

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Chapter Eleven: A Nation of Second Chances

Waylan Gregors posted:

From a speech by Comedian and Yankee Nationalist Waylan Gregors

But Nicholas the Magnificent really did live the American Dream, didn't he? No man in history forced more people who hated his guts to do what he said than him, and if that isn't the heart and soul of Americanism, what is?

The Kingdom of New England was a young realm in 2773. The kingdom had existed previously, but had fallen to an invasion by the Kingdom of the Maritimes. Waylan the Conqueror had united the Yankee Occultists, Rust Cultists, Americanists and even a portion of the converted Yankee High Churchers into a force which wrestled control of the region out of the hands of the Beaton dynasty.

Seeking to cement his position of power and prestige, Waylan then went on to conquer Connecticut, which at the time was revolting against the duke of South Jersey-Connecticut.

This proved a mistake, as it gave Emperor Nicholas II an excuse to seize the duchy of Boston with the excuse that the act was in defense of South Jersey-Connecticut.

Such excuses were necessary, as the emperor's reputation for cruelty did nothing to frighten the lesser Americanist realms into compliance at this time. South Jersey-Connecticut, Delmarva and New York viewed the rapid expansion of Columbia with alarm, especially after the annexation of Piedmont. Talks were underway among these three of an anti-Columbia alliance which might have included barring Columbian merchants from the crucial port of New York. As such it was important that Nicholas avoid reinforcing his reputation as a blood thirsty power monger.

Despite a few early victories the conflict dragged on. The land of the Yankees at this time was still mostly tribal, despite the efforts of the Maritimers to decrease the influence of clans and village cults. The land provided little in the way of forage, requiring Nicholas II's force to move slowly so that a supply line from Hudsonia could be maintained. By the Summer of 2776, however, the duchy of Boston was firmly in Columbian hands and the king of New England was out of men to oppose Nicholas with.

The dukedom was granted to Nicholas' son and heir, Nicholas. Although something of a dullard and lacking in his father's skill at arms, Nicholas was known to be a masterful diplomat. Upon coming of age a marriage between him and the sister of the Mayor of Long Island was arranged, establishing ties to the powerful Wayne family of New York once more.

The capture of the holy city of Boston was a cause of celebration throughout Columbia and Nicholas organized many tournaments and games to celebrate. At every event his son was seen by his side, signalling to peasant and lord alike who the next emperor would be.

These festivities came to an abrupt end with the coming of a major outbreak of tuberculosis in the Chesapeake Bay and measles in the Hudson. In response the emperor and his court retreated to the safety of Castle Washington, hoping to wait out the storm.

Despite these measures Nicholas II came down with Consumption in 2778 and was restricted to his bedchambers for a couple years as he recovered.

But recover he did, a miracle he credited to the protecting hand of Father Washington and his court physician's excellent treatments.

The specter of death, however, continued to haunt much of Nicholas' realm. Anabaptists' throughout northern Pennsylvania and all of Hudsonia claimed the disease was God's wrath on them for obeying a murderous heathen overlord. Uprisings were common and Nicholas used them as an excuse to expand his rights against criminal nobles.

As for the non-nobles who opposed him, Nichoals was especially cruel to the leaders of peasant insurrections.

In 2781 the outbreaks of Measles and tuberculosis at last abated and the gates to Castle Washington were opened. The emperor came out of the experience with a new interest in maters of scripture and faith. He claimed that Father Washington had saved him, because he had a purpose for Nicholas. When President Gibson passed away in August of that year, Nicholas decided that that purpose was to lead the faithful as their next president.

With his unmatched power and prestige the election of Nicholas II as President Hel III was a foregone conclusion. With 267 electors backing him, Nicholas took the title long ago vacated by his father in February of 2782.

This victory, combined with his shear power, were enough to convince the duke of Delmarva that further resistance would only delay the inevitable. Under the promise that his lands would remain his and his descendants permanently, Duke Bernard swore his allegiance to President Hel III.

Hel III's first act as president was to be a grand one, one which would impress upon the remaining independent Americanist realms the futility of resistance and the benefits of vassalization. First, however, the king of New England had to die.

His inexperienced young son Donovan proved the perfect opponent for President Hel III's latest holy war.

It has long been debated what, if any, role faith had in Nicholas II's decisions. Was he a true zealot, risking life and limb in the service of his cause? Or a clever manipulator who used these as tools to his advantage. There is ample evidence to support either side, but it is true that Nicholas made a great showing of becoming well acquainted with the holy texts of Americanism.

In March of 2786 Nicholas' second son, Wayne, came of age and was granted the duchy of Mohawk Valley, including the wealthy city of Albany.

For Nicholas' many daughters, like most females of the nobility in those days, there were few chances to gain power or influence. Marceline Hel was a rarity for her age, a headstrong young woman who was not content to wait around for her betrothed to come of age. That Nicholas allowed his daughter travel shows that he was perhaps a bit less strict on gender roles than his contemporaries. Marceline's book "Journeys in the East" would later come to generate a great deal of interest in the far away lands of the Old World.

More importantly, 2786 saw the end of the invasion of New England. This was the final step for President Hel III's plan to unite the faithful into a single empire.

New York and South Jersey quickly fell in line, having secured promises of lenient taxation and autonomy within this new empire. On November 10, 2787, with the Men in Black knelt before him and all the nobles of the realm present, President Hel III declared that the American Empire was born anew.

The name "Columbia" for Nicholas II's empire was short lived, from then on the grand realm of "America" dominated the North Atlantic .

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

The Founders be praised!:911:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

:psyduck: Jesus, there's seven Ohios now.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

O beautiful, for spacious skies! :911:

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
The ohiopox is upon us!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i guess it must be pretty easy to get around in the great lakes, huh? if you've got a navy you can project and maintain power all over the place, it seems like. maybe that's logical enough

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

ninjahedgehog posted:

Gotta give those Rome successors a run for their money.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Glory to the Founders! From Hel, America rears its head once more!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Truly, Nicholas Hel II stands astride the Mighty Founders themselves! May we one day reclaim the great many-faced Mountain of Rushmore, so that he may be inscribed there among the other saints!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Has Nicholas the Magnificent, perhaps, risen to become one of the founders himself? Under him America has been reborn, after all.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
We must celebrate with an expedition into the Ohios

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
As an Ohian state, we gain several bonuses.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
We really gotta stem the tide of that wretched Buckeye plague to the west. By the Founders that is terrifying. Ohios... Ohios everywhere...

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ninjahedgehog posted:

Would you rather it be 7 Floridas?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

tadashi posted:

Would you rather it be 7 Floridas?

They shall all see the glory of the coming of the Lord. :sherman:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
The Ohio strain is increasing exponentially. At the rate it's spreading, this will be the world in 2 weeks.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Ralepozozaxe posted:

The Ohio strain is increasing exponentially. At the rate it's spreading, this will be the world in 2 weeks.

Good thing this isn't a megacampaign, or that's exactly where we'd end up.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Ralepozozaxe posted:

It's OK, Madagascar will always close their borders.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Buckeyes! Woo!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Clayren posted:

The Kingdom of New England was a young realm in 2773. The kingdom had existed previously, but had fallen to an invasion by the Kingdom of the Maritimes. Waylan the Conqueror had united the Yankee Occultists, Rust Cultists, Americanists and even a portion of the converted Yankee High Churchers into a force which wrestled control of the region out of the hands of the Beaton dynasty.

is this a kate beaton reference? that's cute

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Chapter Twelve: Loose Ends

The creation of the renewed American Empire was an amazing feat, but the empire Nicholas II created was rife with conflict and resentment for the president. While large portions of Pennsylvania had made the transition to the Americanist faith by this point, Hudsonia was thoroughly Anabaptist and would remain so for some time. New England was more diverse; the area around Boston was populated mainly by Rust Cultists, the center of the region remained Occultist and the far north was home to a mixture of High Churchers and Ursuline. Connecticut, which had been conquered by South Jersey amidst the chaos of the collapse of the first Kingdom of New England, was thoroughly Americanist.

In addition to these cultural issues, grand promises had been made to the lords of New York, South Jersey, Delmarva and Piedmont. Once word of this got out Nicholas faced demands for similar treatment from his other vassals, especially the more powerful ones. In order to preserve the peace of the realm he was forced to set the succession of the American Empire as elective, granting his vassals a say in the selection of the next emperor.

To help him manage the task of ruling an empire composed mostly of hostile religious enemies, Nicholas II granted two kingdoms. The first, the Kingdom of New England, was granted to his son and chosen heir; Duke Nicholas of Boston.

President Hel III's second son, Wayne, was granted the Kingdom of Hudsonia and the county of Albany from which to rule it.

Seeing this Duke Theodor Loyalsock, still very powerful and in control of most of central Pennsylvania, demanded that his claim on the kingdom be recognized. Needing the majority Americanist region on his side, Nicholas II allowed Theodor to be crowned and recognized his claim.

Connecticut was granted to the Lord Mayor of New York as agreed, in exchange the wealthy republic agreed to an increased tax burden.

These funds were used by Nicholas to finance an expansion of his castle in Washington and the formation of a new permanent fighting force. During his conquests in the north his army of light and heavy infantry had been triumphant time and again. But the president worried that his forces would be out matched by the knights common in the Holy Columbian Empire. In response her formed the Imperial Dragoons, a personal retinue of heavily armored lancers and crossbowmen recruited from among the veterans and mercenaries who had served him thus far.

In September of 2791 the emperor's daughter, Marceline, returned from her trip to the east. Her journals, later made into the book "Journey's in the East", came to inspire many explorers. She wrote of three landmasses, the first the land of Eire where strange papists traded great cargos of fish to the merchants of Ingland. In Ingland she saw that the land was divided, a few powerful merchant city states existed along the coast and the interior was mostly made of tribal folk. All of them worshipped a strange and complicated religion, focusing on a figure known only as "The Queen". The third land she visited only briefly, known widely as Benelux, the land of rivers and windmills.

More importantly for the history of the American Empire, she also brought with her a bastard son whose parentage remains a mystery to this day. Nicholas II was reportedly quite happy to accept the young boy as a legitimate member of the dynasty and even planned to grant the boy a title upon his coming of age.

But President Hel III never saw that day. He had been an energetic man his whole life and age had done nothing to slow him down. He was in the midst of planning an invasion of Virginia, to retake the homeland of Father Washington, when his heart gave out. While his mind might have stayed young and strong, his body could not keep up and in the end it cost him his life. In accordance with his wishes, the lords of America voted unanimously to grant the title of emperor to his son, Nicholas III.

Family Tree of Nicholas II

Note: Only male members of the Hel dynasty and their daughters are shown, except in the case where a daughter was married matrilinealy.

Next Time: State of the World

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Clayren posted:

Family Tree of Nicholas II

Note: Only male members of the Hel dynasty and their daughters are shown, except in the case where a daughter was married matrilinealy.

Next Time: State of the World

Emperor Nicholas III really needs to marry Cynthia II, for maximum Habsburg!

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Interlude: The World of the 2790's

The American continent in the 2780's and 2790's saw the consolidation of a number of new, powerful political entities. It is for this reason that past historians have called this period of time the "Age of Empires", although few outside of North America used the term "empire" at the time.

Perhaps the most surprising and impactful of consolidations was the creation of the American Empire by Nicholas the Magnificent in 2787, which combined the Occultist Yankee tribes of New England, the Anabaptist kingdoms of Hudsonia and Pennsylvania and the Americanist regions of Gotham and Columbia. This empire was created over time by the conquests of the Hel dynasty, started in 2666 by William I Hel, duke of Philadelphia, but saw its greatest expansion under Nicholas the Magnificent.

West of America in the 2790's was the Empire of Ohio, ruled by the Carter dynasty since 2673. Derek the Holy built upon the conquests of his ancestors to become the unquestioned master of the Rust Cult faith. Under him the Kingdom of Ohio became a true empire and the Rust Cult faith was reformed to be more like the Catholic and Americanist faiths, with a formal structure and head of the church.

The growth of these two realms was in part thanks to the inability of the Holy Columbian Empire to stay stable for long. With the end of the dynastic period and the introduction of the electoral system, strong dynasties were unable to take and hold on to power any longer. Civil wars were common and the empire was only just able to remain intact, but the Ohioan invasions into Appalachia and the annexation of Piedmont by America went unchecked.

Another threat which the HCE failed to check was the crusader state of Louisiana. Retaken from Voodoo worshipers in 2715 by Catholic forces, it was granted to the Texan Wise dynasty. Throughout the 2700's Louisiana expanded westward into Texas, following a failed invasion of Florida during a period of civil war in the HCE.

A second crusader state was the kingdom of Rio Grande, created in 2791 after a successful Catholic crusade for the river region.

While these new Catholic realms expanded vigorously, the old kingdom of Comancheria dwindled slowly, pressed on the east by Louisiana and on the west by a reformed California.

South of Catholic Texas lay the Sagrado Corazon realms of the Kingdom of Sierra Madre and the Republic of Colima.

North of Comancheria lay the endless plains, home to the Catholic Grangelander nomads of the Bandelier. Their expansion eastward into Platte had greatly diminished that once proud kingdom.

Besides the remnants of Platte the only other major Catholic power in the Midwest was the Kingdom of Iowa. Outside of the loss of the Republic of Boonslick as a tributary, little changed for the kingdom in the 2600 and 2700's.

Westward extended the great northern plains, home to nomadic tribes like the Sioux and Metis.

These were the major realms of the continent east of the Rockies, but a moment might be spared to speak of two other regions not yet touched on. The Kingdom of ontario, hard pressed by Ohio, remained. It's coreligionist the Kingdom of the Maritimes, however, fell to Yankee invasion and then collapsed into numerous feuding clans and nobles.

West of the mountains the Kingdom of Deseret, long ruled by the Anthophile dynasty, remained much as it always had.

Further west, great changes had come under the leadership of Celestial Emperor Mickey Yudkow. After his ancestors peacefully re-vassilized the kings of Jefferson and the Valley, Mickey went to war against the kingdoms of Socal and Baja. By 2790 only the Kingdom of Gran Fransisco remained independent.

North of the rejuvenated empire the twin Haida realms of Lincoln and Haida Tlaagang threatened the lands of Jefferson.

Outside of the continent the Caribbean Empire which had long ago ruled the Gulf of Mexico was nearly a memory. The Kingdoms of Cuba and Yucatan had been merged into the Yucatan Empire by Emperor Fausto Sanbria in 2791.

This placed him in a position of conflict with the Purepecha Empire, ruled by the Iurhuri dynasty.

The remnants of the old Caribbean Empire still remained, a figurehead ruling a spread out empire of mostly-independent dukes and island counts from his court in Barbados.

The growth of larger realms within North and Central America during the 2600 and 2700's also meant a spreading of feudal government styles. The tribes of interior Florida came under feudal governance following the invasion of the peninsula by the HCE. Likewise the tribes of New England began to transition to a more structured caste system following the invasion of the region by Nicholas II. In the great plains some nomads began to settle down.

Economically the Chesapeake Bay and Hudson bay regions benefited economically from the stability that the new American Empire brought. Yucatan, Cuba, the eastern Great Lakes and California saw similar growth in trade and tax revenue.

Outside of the Americas, little was known at this time of the rest of the world. Marceline Hel, in her journeys west, reported that she saw three regions. The first was an empire, whose people worshiped as the papists did, but were ruled by a "pope in hiding" who they believed would return someday. Across a narrow sea was the land of the English, who were divided between a number of wealthy city states along the coast and tribal folk in the interior who worshiped a goddess called "The Queen". The final land she visited, but only briefly, was the Kingdom of Benelux. There the people told her of a time when the whole world was flooded and all people lived on boats. Under the protection of their ocean gods the people successfully raised the land back up and so the Beneluxians worshiped the gods of the sea and venerated their ancestors who helped return the land.

World Map 2792

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
"A big mess" looks like a delicious buffet for America. I like how there's plenty of big states around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Its been a while since I played, but I'm surprised how many empires and large kingdoms showed up so quickly. I hope Ohio manages to coalesce into a more coherent Great Lakes Empire or something.

Also, are we continuing with the Americanists, or are we playing someone new, Clayren?

• Locked thread