Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Luhood posted:

Is it just me or has the ruling Dynasty stopped being the Hels?

So when Stanley I died and the Hel dynasty lost the throne because nobody wanted to elect a 3 year old child I decided that it'd be more interesting to switch over to Warren I, the bastard child of the Hel dynasty born under mysterious circumstances while his mother was on a Marco Polo-esque trip to Europe. But because he's a bastard with an unknown father he started a new dynasty as soon as he was given land. To fix this I've engaged in a lot of matrilineal marriages into the Hel dynasty, we'll be back with the Hels after Dyre I takes over, but he wont be around long.

I'm very close to taking all the land I had as part of my goal, after which we'll have a state of the world post before allowing After the End to rest. But I've been toying with some plans for what to do next.

Also, the immortal coma president didn't die naturally. I actually cheated a bit because I was afraid he was just sort of stuck undying, so at age 123 I gave the console kill command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Wyvernil posted:

Turns out the president lasted for drat near a century. I didn't know it was even possible for a guy to last that long in Crusader Kings.

For comedy, trying stacking health traits in Ruler Designer and watch how long the result lasts.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Chapter Twenty-Three: The End of an Era

When did the Middle Ages end? American historians in the past have generally dated the end of the Dark Age to 2344, when President Smithson rebuilt the temple in Washington and resurrected the presidency. Texan and Rostmann historians tend to date it even earlier, to the forming of the American Papacy in New Rome. But as to when the Middle Age ended, there is still a great amount of debate. Some date it as early as the Redcoat Invasion, which ushered in a new era of European-American interaction and allowed for the spread of new ideas and technologies to flow into North America. Others date it later, to the reign of Emperor Dyre I Hel.

During the latter years of Emperor Epraim I he fathered a number of children with his young new wife Christine.

In 2887 the last vestiges of the HCC in the region of Carolina fell to the king of Dixie-Virginia. The king of Carolina petitioned Ephraim to encourage the handing over of some portion of these lands to him, but Ephraim in his old age had increasingly little interest in the problems of his vassals and announced that the matter would be decided by the next emperor. Ephraim suspected, quite rightly, that he would not live much longer.

In the Summer of 2887 the emperor passed away. In his place the American lords elected a Deitsch, Gebhard Erckmann, as the 78th President.

The emperorship was bestowed to Dyre I, at that time King of Gotham. A kind man, Dyre showed little interest in conquest or zealotry like his father. Dyre, rather, had a passion for the law. He was not very talented in this aspect, but was wise enough to surround himself with scholars who were. During his rule as king the court in New York had been host to many reformers who had molded the Gothamite government into something more like the imperial bureaucracy seen in California.

As emperor Dyre I brought these reforms to Washington. While nowhere as advanced as that seen in California, a school was established in Washington for those wishing to serve in the government. Reading, writing and mathematics tests were required, along with exams meant to test patriotism. A small, but talented class of bureaucrats began to form in the holy city.

Emperor Dyre settled the issue of western Carolina in his distant relatives favor. In exchange, King Willard of Dixieland-Virginia backed Dyre's push to reform the imperial inheritance law. Since its founding the Empire of America had been under near constant Hel rule and the election system was increasingly just a rubber stamp on whichever son the emperor wanted. With the passage of a number of reforms in the late 2880's and early 2890's the election system was abolished. The kings of New England, Hudsonia, Pennsylvania, Carolina, Dixie, Virginia and Gotham were henceforth only able to veto the emperor's choice of heir with a 3/4ths majority, in which case he simply needed to present a different heir or ask for a re-vote the next year.

This is often considered the end of the Middle Age for America. The old feudal system, while still very much present throughout the empire, was morphing into a new form. The system of powerful kings owing allegiance to the emperor, whose court in Washington was staffed by career bureaucrats and whose power was upheld by a standing army like those of the Redcoat Dominion, would remain throughout the Rinascita Era.

Up Next: Final State of the World.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Come forth, America Universalis IV!

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Chapter Twenty-Four: The Artist's Map

A map, created by an unknown artist in the court of Emperor Dyre I circa 2901, tells us a lot about how the American people (at least those few who could read and understand the wider world) saw their continent and its nations. Each major power is represented, either as an animal or a person, roughly in the shape of the borders of these realms.

America is represented as a tall, proud eagle. Its talons are perched on the Florida Peninsula and its beak holds the English Maritimes, represented as a small fish in this image. Its back is to the continent, unafraid of an attack from the rest of the continent. At the dawn of the 30th century the American Empire was the most powerful in the continent, possessing a stable ruling dynasty, a large standing army, developing bureaucracy and the wealthiest trade ports in the western hemisphere. Through cities like New York, Philadelphia and Boston the spread of new goods and new ideas from Europe first began.

The Texan Empire is shown as a massive longhorn bull, one hoof dangling into the Caribbean Sea from Florida, another stomping deeply into Mexico. It was following the successful crusade against the Voodoo worshipers that the Kingdom of Louisiana was granted to the Texan Wise dynasty. Over time the kingdom expanded south and west, uniting the small Texan realms and creating a true empire. During the reign of Emperor Cash "the Kid" Wise the empire seized Florida from the dying Holy Columbian Confederacy and invaded the Purepecha Empire, capturing the realm of Mexico and Mexico City itself.

The realms of Colima, Purepecha and Sierra Madre are represented as three men with clubs, swords and spears defending themselves from the Texan bull and the Californian bear.

California is represented as a massive bear, its paws stretching out towards the plains and stomping on the southern realms. Its great jaw is stretched open to devour a school of salmon, meant to represent the once mighty Haida kingdom. Following many years of fracture the empire was reunited following the peaceful transition of power from the Yudkow dynasty to the Carmine dynasty. California in 2901 was the second greatest empire in North America and like America most of this power was in the hands of a small number of very powerful kings who swore allegiance to the emperor in Sacramento.

A herd of horses and a pronghorn flee from the Californian bear. The pronghorn was a symbol of the Catholic Kingdom of Platte in those times. While the Kingdom of Iowa had fallen apart by the end of the 29th century, Platte remained a stable realm. But the 30th century saw renewed attempts by California to expand further beyond the Rockies. Already by this time much of Comancheria, represented by a herd of horses, had been taken in wars with California. The Texan Empire would eventually become involved in a period of conflict between Catholic realms of the prairies and the Californian Empire.

One of these prairie realms was the Kingdom of Lakotah. During the 29th Century the Sioux had ended their nomadic lifestyle and settled in the far north, following a conversion to Catholicism. On the image a Sioux thunderbird, which remained a symbol of the kingdom, is shown facing down the English lion.

The Redcoat Dominion, which would later be known more widely as"Canada" once the ruling English intermixed with their subjects, is shown as a reclining lion. One paw reaches down towards the feuding rulers of Ohio and Michigan, the other towards the Minnesota Peninsula. By the 30th Century the English who had originally come to the Americas to conquer New York had been forced to focus on easier targets than the American Empire. The disunited realms of Canada proved easier pickings, but conflict with the Catholic and Rust Church realms for Michigan throughout the 30th Century would be far more taxing.

The Empire of Ohio and the Kingdom of Ohio are shown as two brothers, one stabbing the other with a spear. Once controlling all of Ohio, Michigan and Aurora, the Empire of Ohio fell apart following prolonged civil war between traditional Rust Cultists and reformed Rust Churchers. Eventually the Carter Dynasty itself split, with one side claiming the crown of the old Kingdom of Ohio and the other holding on to the imperial crown. Behind these two squabbling brothers stand a Rostmann with a pike, waiting to fight the victor. Despite repeated defeats by Ohio and the HCC, the Kingdom of Appalachia survived into the 2800's. Following a conversion to Catholicism from the Atomicist faith, the kingdom took advantage of the turmoil in Ohio to expand throughout Indiana, eventually becoming known as the Empire of the Rostmanns.

Below this a king lies, his body prepared for burial. He is the HCC, by this time reduced to only a small realm in the depths of the Appalachian Mountains.

In the middle of North America a crucified figure represents the Mississippi river and the many small Catholic realms along its course. With the collapse of Iowa only the duchy of Arkansas and the dukedom of the Quad Cities had any real power in the region, which remained disunited into the 30th century.

In the south, a deer leaps over an agave, a symbol of the Yucateco people of the Yucatan Peninsula. The agave is the peninsula, where the Yucatan Kingdom began and the deer is Cuba, which the Yucateco conquered. Together these form the main kingdoms of the Empire of Yucateco, which dominated the Caribbean Sea following the collapse of the Caribbean Empire. Warding off the deer is the island kingdom of Ayiti, which repeatedly resisted Yucateco invasion. Here this is represented by a man holding a club.

At the bottom of the map is the Kingdom of Puente Grande, represented as a long snake on a tree branch. Conflict between Puente Grande and the Yucateco Empire would be nearly constant during the early years of the 31st century.

The years between 2600 and 2900 saw a consolidation, not just of territory but also of faiths. Many religions dwindled in influence, remaining only in the more isolated parts of North America. Practitioners of Anabaptism, Occultism, Atomicism, Norse, the High Church and Ursuline faiths held no land by 2901. The Evangelical Church went into exile in the Appalachians, the grand church in Georgia was re-dedicated by its new rulers to Father Lincoln and the prophet Sherman.

The Dynasties of Wise, Hel and Carmine came to dominate North America.

But the age of rapid conquests in the name of Lincoln or Jesus or the Queen was coming to an end. A new age, of conflict between the English lion, the Californian bear, the Texan bull and the American eagle was soon to begin.

Thus ended the age of Crusader Kings

Next Time: Polls

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Ooh, polls! I love polls!

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Very cool post to end on, Clayren. Love the MS Paint map of the post-apocalyptic US.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I think the sad squished Confederate emperor is my favorite part.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Love the ending. Long live the American Empire!

I wonder if we're going to be restarting, because honestly this seems like a good stopping point for this save.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Love the map and the general presentation of the LP. I have a huge love for documentaries and retrospective things, and it's nice to see them get some LP love.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Nthing the great work on the anthropomorphic and animalistic personifications on the map.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Oh boy, another round! Do we get to be the Texans this time? I want a king with a cowboy hat crown!
This, obviously, is not After the End. I'll be playing Elder Kings, a total conversion mod of Crusader Kings II set in the world of Nirn, as seen in games like The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim.

Aw, but why?
After the End is a great mod with an endless amount of things to see and do, but we've already gotten a decent impression from it and I feel that a bit of variety is never a bad thing.

What is different about Elder Kings, versus vanilla CKII?

Besides the new cultures, religions, locations and events you'd expect from a major CKII mod, Elder Kings also has magic magics majick magicka. And not just a piddly events-based lifestyle for your ruler. Oh no, everybody in Elder Kings has a spellbook, located in the decisions tab. When opened you'll find a wide array of options that can improve your traits, hurt an enemies traits, boost your army, summon demons to support your army, turn an enemy into a chicken or, if you are incredibly lucky, grant you immortality. If your ruler is gifted in magic he or she will generate mana monthly, up to a cap determined by his or her learning skill. If you don't have the talent you'll need to hire a court wizard to generate it for you.

Alright, so who are we playing?

In accordance with the results of a short vote, we'll be playing a Redguard in Hammerfell. Hope you like swords.

Wait a second, that's not how CHIM works at all!

While I will be doing my best to make sure the story is in keeping with the lore of the Elder Scrolls universe, I can guarantee that there will be times I make mistakes. It's fine to point these out, but I probably wont be making any corrections unless they are really major.

Clayren fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 28, 2017

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Baron Sason I, known as "The Mage" Ruled from 450 2E to 470 2E. Was assassinated by his liege, King Shamar I of Rihad.

Chapter I: The Short Life of Baron Sason I

--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--

Baroness Anwen I, known as "The Duelist" Ruled from 470 2E to 482 2E. Died after a period of illness from complications with giving birth.

Chapter II: The Frail Duelist

--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--𝕠--𝕆--𝕠--

Prince Sason I, known as "The Handsome" Ruled from 482 2E to 523 2E. Died of stress and illness.

Chapter III: The Lover

Chapter IV: The Rihad Coalition

Chapter V: Killed by Kindness

Queen Rona I, known as "The Lady of Rihad" and "The Pirate Queen" Ruled from 523 2E to 545 2E. Died of illness while at sea on her way to raid the Imperial Island.

Chapter VI: The Lady of Rihad

Chapter VII: The Pirate Queen

Queen Theth-i I, known as "The Battler" Ruled from 545 2E to 2E.

Chapter VIII: The Tower...

Chapter IX: ...And The Stone

Chapter X: The Anvil and Kvatch Campaigns

Clayren fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 19, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Wait a minute, I didn't notice that someone called Rupert the Son of Communism was the king of New England. Can you switch him over to being emperor? :allears:

Edit: Never mind, go with the Nibenese.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 26, 2017

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

FOREBEARS

Be the pirate you always wanted to be.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

And before anyone asks, yes there are some Akaviri kicking around Tamriel at this time, but we're not going to play fantasy Japanese.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

NIBENAY

Sorcerer king. Let's do it

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Nibenay, and "gently caress YOU BALMORA" sounds like a great choice for the title.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

The Reach will be ours again! (Reachman)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Unite the Reach as Reachmen.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Reachmen. Never played any of these games, but I'm interested in how this mod plays!

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

drat, I was actually planning to start and Elder Kings LP. Oh well, glad to see one anyway.

Let's go Colovion

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 29, 2017

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Forebears. Yarrr.

By the way, is there any After the End LP showing the Brazilian invasion? I'm curious about how that happens.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Imperials, its time to restore the Empire.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Clayren posted:

Also, I'm going to throw out the beast races and the groups living outside of Tamriel (so no tiger people or monkey people, sorry).

Booooooooo. Are orcs not an option? Or do they count as a kind of elf?

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
The Reach Belongs to the Forsworn!

Reachmen

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

Booooooooo. Are orcs not an option? Or do they count as a kind of elf?

Orcs are elves and theoretically have a long lifespan too. But they usually either die in battle young or when they start getting old they find someone to kill them in battle. But if I do another round later they'll be on the table.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Colovian

Fur hat supremacy.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Oh hell yeah. Let's get some Reachmen action going! We will rise out of the hills and take the weak ones land for our own! :black101:

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

We be Bretons and shoot for the High King's title.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Forebears
Redguard are the poo poo

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Forebears

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Nibenay, let's get our sorcerous kinging on.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
No orcs? They don't live as long as "normal" elves, and we'd get to defend Orsinium against a bunch of people who hate us!

In lieu of orcs, I'll go with the Forebears.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Nibenay in lieu of no lizards.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Forebears

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

I'm going to throw in a fake protest vote for Argonians :colbert:

Has Elder Kings been updated for the latest version, though? Or are you going back to an older version?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

RubricMarine posted:

I'm going to throw in a fake protest vote for Argonians :colbert:

Has Elder Kings been updated for the latest version, though? Or are you going back to an older version?

Make that 2 fake protest votes. Lousy human supremacists :argh:

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Make that 2 fake protest votes. Lousy human supremacists :argh:

Ulfric's gonna dig a big hole and put all them Dark Elves and Argonians in it and make Black Marsh pay for it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

RubricMarine posted:

Clayren posted:

So, Tamriel (or "Dawn's Beauty" if you're a mincing elf). There's a lot of races living on the continent, and we need to choose one to play as (or at least start as). But while Elder Kings lets you play as just about anything (including undead lich lords and hideous half-bird hagraven witches) I am going to narrow our choices down a bit. First up, no elves. They live 2-3 times longer than a normal human so playing as one of them would make the game a little boring. Same for undead or living gods (there's one or two of them around). Maybe later we'll have a look at the more outrageous options in the game (or download it yourself HERE and try it out. You'll need to roll your game back to update 2.6.3 in steam to play it, which means no Monks and Mystics stuff is in it. Probably the next time it gets updated you'll see that stuff.) Also, I'm going to throw out the beast races and the groups living outside of Tamriel (so no tiger people or monkey people, sorry). With all that said, here are the choices.

Sadly no, not yet.

• Locked thread