Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Depending on who's writing, Gotham is either Chicago or New York after the sun sets--Metropolis being New York during the day.

Apparently not just in the current DC movie continuity, Gotham is supposed to be in South Jersey, Metropolis is in Delaware, and the two of them are connected by a bridge over the Delaware River? So apparently both are supposed to be downriver of Philadelphia.

And yes, I have also heard of "Metropolis is New York by day, Gotham is New York by night" line, by my boss at New York Comic Con, who used to run Artist Alley in all Reed shows in the US (NYCC, C2E2, Emerald City, other smaller ones) before he was promoted to run C2E2 overall, quoting Frank Miller. I think another DC writer had further said that Gotham is New York below 14th Street around midnight on the coldest night of the winter, and Metropolis is Midtown above 42nd at noon in the middle of spring, or something to that effect, but the area immediately below 14th has rapidly improved and gentrified quite a bit in the past couple decades and Lower Mnahattan had made a great comeback since 9/11, so I dunno how much that line would apply anymore. Maybe ungentrified Brooklyn fits better?

Speaking of New York, what are the other Patrician family names? I saw a Laggard there in one of the shots where the Waynes were out of power, which is an obvious reference to LaGuardia, the former mayor who got the airport named for him built when he was a congressman from Manhattan and was absolutely pissed when plane he took back to the city landed in Newark instead when his ticket clearly said New York. I would have expected a Bloomberg, Rockefeller, Roosevelt, or maybe even Giuliani reference in there. Maybe not Trump, after the recent election...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Funky Valentine posted:

At the start of the game, New York is ruled by Lord Proprietor Florell Laggard and the other Patrician houses of Falcone, Longacre, Theovelt, and Wayne.

Huh, that's interesting. So two Batman references, Florell Laggard is a clear reference to Fiorello LaGuardia, the mayor I mentioned above, Thovelt is a Theodore Roosevelt reference, and I think Longacre Square is what Times Square used to be name way back when before the New York Times moved to the area. Not as much historical or current New York reference as I thought there would be, but I'm satisfied by what there is. Is Staten Island it's own separate county or part of Manhattan or a Jersey county instead?

I think I saw Brooklyn was its own county, but I also saw Queens and Flushing as separate minor holdings, which is strange since the latter is part of the former (Flushing used to be an independent town in what is now the borough of Queens, which was formed in the creation of the City of New York in 1898), so are they also part of the county or of Long Island instead?

Also, looking up the use of Gotham, it's use as a nickname for New York was coined by Waahington Irving, so there's that too.

GunnerJ posted:

On the plus side, we now know what kicked off the catastrophe!
Yup

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 7, 2017

• Locked thread