Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Niles' second ex-wife from Frasier is in this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
welp i'm not watching the show but from the reports coming in i get the impression that lynch isn't going for fan service and is trashing the whole "quirky little town" aspect of the original, c/d?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Twin Peaks is so boring.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
I stole my dad's playboy with Sherilyn Fenn in it so often that he just gave me the drat thing.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

welp i'm not watching the show but from the reports coming in i get the impression that lynch isn't going for fan service and is trashing the whole "quirky little town" aspect of the original, c/d?
I just finished episode 1. kinda confirm? it reminds me of fire walk with me more than the series. seems to be more mystery. the whole soap opera drama quirkyness was thrown out in the movie mostly, and right now it feels like supernatural more?

but who knows. we'll see.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Gazpacho posted:

James is a good character, f the haters

James is still cool. He's always been cool.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

Bananaquiter posted:

Lol. That was cringeworthy as gently caress

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Bananaquiter posted:

lmao at james being brain damaged from a motorcycle accident now. lynch owns

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
so was this any good? in general i find tv to be too unengaging to dedicate much time to (internet has ruined my brain and made me ADD), so i will need a report on utility on my desk by tomorrow morning if i'm going to watch this.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I forgot how slow moving Lynch's stuff is. God in heaven.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Neurosis posted:

so was this any good? in general i find tv to be too unengaging to dedicate much time to (internet has ruined my brain and made me ADD), so i will need a report on utility on my desk by tomorrow morning if i'm going to watch this.

I don't know, man. This ain't yo mama's Twin Peaks. It's basically (a less coherent) Fire Walk with Me mixed with Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire, I guess? I've only watched the first episode. Wasn't too crazy about it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Vastarien posted:

I don't know, man. This ain't yo mama's Twin Peaks. It's basically (a less coherent) Fire Walk with Me mixed with Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire, I guess? I've only watched the first episode. Wasn't too crazy about it.

i was interested enough that i made myself into a liar shortly after the above post.

i'm halfway through episode 2 and it's... loving weird. feels like twin peaks if you stripped out all of the eccentric quaint stuff satirising soap operas. so it's a slow-moving strange horror. i guess i'm liking it.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Lunch is bad all his movies are bad

while we are talking aboot overhyped trash: picasso

his poo poo sucks too

Green Hill Friendzone
Oct 27, 2013

These new ones remind me of Lost Highway, which is a good thing.

Also, LOL at TVIV attempting to piece together canonical details in a Lynch

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
I'm the 'arm' tree brain thing

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
This is so slow. Like...really slow. I mean...this is SO slow.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

this show is somehow both awful and awesome at the same time

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Vastarien posted:

It's basically (a less coherent) Fire Walk with Me
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Seriously, have you seen Picassos work? It's not good

In fact, a lot of "art" is bad, yet people insist it is brilliant because they read a lot of meaning into it that is not there

See this poo poo?

C'mon man

Art doesn't have to be PRETTY, but it should at least be interesting

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did they air the first 4 episodes last night?

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTp6d7Bw79A
When I saw your face...

drat good coffee - and HOT! :sludgepal:

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

plape tickler posted:

Did they air the first 4 episodes last night?
yea, showtime streaming has all 4 up now.

I watched the second episode. I can't tell if the show is just taking it's sweet time to rev up or we're going to get a combination of meh supporting characters shuffling their feet until spooky poo poo happens or kyle maclachlan graces the screen.

honestly it feels more like inland empire which was essentially a david lynch home video on digital. I'm not really into season 3 but I'm sticking through

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Zmej posted:

I watched the second episode. I can't tell if the show is just taking it's sweet time to rev up or we're going to get a combination of meh supporting characters shuffling their feet until spooky poo poo happens or kyle maclachlan graces the screen.

so you haven't actually watched it

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
because kyle maclachlan is onscreen like 50% of the time and a fair bit of the stuff that would've been kept overly enigmatic in original twin peaks is fairly clear

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
The scenes in New York reminded me a lot of Fringe and Lost.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

This is Lynch's magnum opus and a big gently caress you to everyone who thought they were quirky for liking twin peaks.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Neurosis posted:

because kyle maclachlan is onscreen like 50% of the time and a fair bit of the stuff that would've been kept overly enigmatic in original twin peaks is fairly clear
I was really sleepy by the second half of episode 2, so my memory is probably iffy. anyways I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes. also I can't get over shaggy being in this

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

SPACE HOMOS posted:

This is Lynch's magnum opus and a big gently caress you to everyone who thought they were quirky for liking twin peaks.
well he still has to bring in ratings or showtime can pull the plug, i'm kinda worried about that now

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I like evil Coop and the gore effects they have in this season. I wonder who they got to do Jeffries' voice for that one little bit.

I really hope they figure out some way to tell Jeffries' and Desmond's stories. I was really liking the Desmond pair until he suddenly disappeared. The disjointedness of it all + the tendency for time to move differently within the Black Lodge is something that both annoys and interests me. I think their plan is to start out with a story steeped in unsettling horror and then slowly add in little bits of quirkiness.

Also it was nice to see the Brennans together.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
the bit with those two young people who were mid-gently caress getting shredded by a black lodge spirit or whatever was not what i was expecting.

lmao i checked the tviv thread on it and someone was saying 'oh good thing that happened rather than having to sit through awkward heterosexual sex' heaven forbid!

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
I really wasnt too impressed with the first two episodes but it really picks up around episode 3 and 4 is great. I recommend checkin em out.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Fartbox posted:

Seriously, have you seen Picassos work? It's not good

In fact, a lot of "art" is bad, yet people insist it is brilliant because they read a lot of meaning into it that is not there

See this poo poo?

C'mon man

Art doesn't have to be PRETTY, but it should at least be interesting

this is me but im the doppelganger

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
'james is still cool'

'james has always been cool'

lynch knows how to gently caress with his fans

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Dennis System posted:

I forgot how slow moving Lynch's stuff is. God in heaven.

This was how TV was written in the 80s.

gently caress, this doesn't even hold a candle to how long and slow a show like Dallas was.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Halfway through episode 4 and this is obviously some kind of elaborate tax write off scam between Lynch and the TV execs funding it.

It's terrible in nearly every way.

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013
HelllOOOOooo

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I'm the "airport terminal" in the fourth episode that is clearly just the front entrance of a dentists office in a Midwestern stripmall with airplane sounds played in the background.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

SPACE HOMOS posted:

yes and it is loving amazing

spudsbuckley posted:

Halfway through episode 4 and this is obviously some kind of elaborate tax write off scam between Lynch and the TV execs funding it.

It's terrible in nearly every way.

you are a bad person

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
I haven't seen the new episodes, but when I do, I pledge to submit a review via my trusty Sharp Dial Master EL-6250, just like the one used by Agent Cooper. I have 24 characters to work with, so you can bet it will be brief. Think proto-Twitter without the ability to transmit to multiple recipients. Or any recipients. I'll think of some way around this technical limitation and get back to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The new Twin Peaks is loving amazing. It is pure 90s Lynch. It's very much Blue Velvet/Lost Highway/Mulholland Drive/Wild at Heart.

It's nothing like the goofy mess of Inland Empire and beyond.

• Locked thread