Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Helianthus Annuus posted:

So is there anything in season 3 so far that's like the red room scenes at the end of season 2? Should I watch any of season 3 or should I just go rewatch that?

Full disclosure, watched all of season 1 and season 2 after seeing the red room poo poo out of context. But I remember finding it barely watchable.

I'd say watch Fire Walk With Me first. If you don't like that then you probably won't like the new show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Yea Fire Walk With Me is mandatory for season 3. You can't willingly pretend it didn't exist anymore.

I highly recommend the Q2 fan edit with 90 minutes of cut material. poo poo is 3.5 hours long though

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think if you were autistic enough real life would be like twin peaks

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My neighbourhood cinema had a midnight screening of FWWM last Saturday that I went to but it was only the regular version. What sort of stuff was re-added to the fan edit?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Fire Walk With Me is not as bizarre as the new show but it is pretty important to the mythos of the red room / black lodge. Although I am not sure why Bob wants to possess Laura other than for that sweet canned corn (garmonbozia: pain and sorrow).

I think the new show is an amalgamation of a lot of Lynch's previous works.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

General Dog posted:

I thought The Man from Another Place was dead, but actually he passed on the new series because of money and also had a big meltdown on Facebook where he accused Lynch of raping his own daughter and having Jack Nance murdered and also said Twin Peaks was boring :rip:

So anyway, that's why he's a brain on a tree now

this is the dude from carnivale? drat.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
It's good and I like it. This is my thorough review of season 3 up to this point

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

General Dog posted:

C'mon, we know who the real culprit would be

He's really more of a Windom Earle type.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
the new black lodge stuff is weird. the woman with no eyes and saying her mother was there while the door was slammed and the laura palmer spirit screaming and vanishing off-screen... maybe i wasn't paying enough attention but i couldn't make much sense of it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Neurosis posted:

the new black lodge stuff is weird. the woman with no eyes and saying her mother was there while the door was slammed and the laura palmer spirit screaming and vanishing off-screen... maybe i wasn't paying enough attention but i couldn't make much sense of it.

it's surrealistic, you're not really supposed to make much sense of it. it's just spooky

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

boner confessor posted:

it's surrealistic, you're not really supposed to make much sense of it. it's just spooky

i think it is meant to have its own internal logic. the exact mode of expression is going to be variable and not have any real coherence - so we get that weird statute thing representing one of the doppelgangers - but they still mean something comprehensible. i suppose i don't really mind either way because i enjoy the aesthetic lynch put together so it doesn't have to hold up to hardcore interpretation for me to enjoy it, but it can still be fun to speculate about.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Neurosis posted:

i think it is meant to have its own internal logic

some of it is and some of it isnt. sometimes lynch is just making weird images because he thinks they are cool

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
What the HELL is going on? No way any of this will make sense in the end.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

The Dennis System posted:

What the HELL is going on? No way any of this will make sense in the end.

its a coming of age story of a small town being gentrified by hipsters in tyool 2017

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Booty Pageant posted:

its a coming of age story of a small town being gentrified by hipsters in tyool 2017

All joking aside, I just read somewhere that season 3 makes a lot more sense if you've seen fire walk with me. I watched it a long time ago and don't remember it. I guess I'll have to watch it again.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

All joking aside, I just read somewhere that season 3 makes a lot more sense if you've seen fire walk with me. I watched it a long time ago and don't remember it. I guess I'll have to watch it again.

"A lot more" is a stretch. You get introduced to Phillip Jeffries, the ring, the blue rose... and that's about all I can think of. Maybe a little more context about the nature of the Black Lodge/Red Room.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Kuato posted:

It's good and I like it. This is my thorough review of season 3 up to this point

:same:

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Episode 4 sucks. A lot. Lynch and Frost have very bad senses of humor.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

It's good

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Nah

Kitsunegari posted:

HelllOOOOooo

Yah

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I legit like this. I didn't really like twin peaks. I liked some of the more surreal elements but that's not a very large part of the show. The parody of melodrama did little for me.

So, having this be a rather surreal Lynch nightmare through and through is preferable to that TBH.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

basic hitler posted:

I legit like this. I didn't really like twin peaks. I liked some of the more surreal elements but that's not a very large part of the show. The parody of melodrama did little for me.

So, having this be a rather surreal Lynch nightmare through and through is preferable to that TBH.

yeah. people complain about this being slow but it's moving at light speed relative to the original series. this is just the good stuff [if the relativity expression there made anyone reading this feel a strong compulsion to correct me go kill yourself you are the ur-goon].

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Nah these four episodes have been great and kept me engaged and wondering what the hell is going on. Even if the CG is bad so what I once read all of 'Tails Get Trolled' I have no standards for the media I consume as long as it's media I like.

Also it's good dorks. It's very good.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Neurosis posted:

yeah. people complain about this being slow but it's moving at light speed relative to the original series. this is just the good stuff [if the relativity expression there made anyone reading this feel a strong compulsion to correct me go kill yourself you are the ur-goon].

I guess it depends on how you define pace- Twin Peaks chewed through tons of plot every episode, it was just that barely any of it mattered.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
CAR-SICK!!!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I liked the melodrama and small town charm of the original series, and was pretty disappointed after the first episode, but have enjoyed the rest and will continue to watch. I do kind of get the impression he's messing with fans with the "James has always been cool" line and not having coop comment on his coffee, etc.

I do kind of hope Wally hits the road again soon

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
1 sentence review

https://mu6.me/144614

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i'm on episode 4 now. Why the gently caress is michael cera in this?

naem
May 29, 2011

Because micheal cera is awesome?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gazpacho posted:

well he still has to bring in ratings or showtime can pull the plug, i'm kinda worried about that now

Not really. It's been filmed and edited, it's done, and it's the final season. Showtime pulling the plug would be a waste of how much money they spent on 18hr of Lynch.

Also it's cable. They don't care about ratings as much as critical acclaim.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

basic hitler posted:

i'm on episode 4 now. Why the gently caress is michael cera in this?

It's Lynch's farewell run. We're gonna see a lot of stupid poo poo. Brace yourself son, we're but a mad geniuses whim away from seeing Trent Reznor bottle feed a full grown iguana. People will analyze and confound and Lynch will smile and know that the only purpose of that scene was to make you off-balance for the next one.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i like lynch and cera is okay but he doesn't really fit. I hope he's more than one silly monologue

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

FYI Trent Reznor is gonna make an appearance. Take a look at the new cast list and can can see other known names on there. Lynch is going all out with this series

e: since he's not playing a character it probably means he'll be the musician at the end of the episode

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 27, 2017

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

I liked the melodrama and small town charm of the original series, and was pretty disappointed after the first episode, but have enjoyed the rest and will continue to watch. I do kind of get the impression he's messing with fans with the "James has always been cool" line and not having coop comment on his coffee, etc.

I do kind of hope Wally hits the road again soon

Twin Peaks spinoff starring Wally Brando and his adventures

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Watching the first episode now, this is like Wes Anderson levels of fart sniffing

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

wes anderson is good though so ???

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Not that good, nop

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Watching the first episode now, this is like Wes Anderson levels of fart sniffing

you are a sad little man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

You dont like lynch or wes anderson you suck probably hate John Carpenter and Stanley Kubrick too

• Locked thread