Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rasta_Al posted:

Coop really needs to bust out of his bs little trance already. Episode 5 was so slow i think i got autism from it

He is clearly coming back bit by tiny bit. The coffee, the lie-detecting, the case-files etc.

People really need to learn to appreciate the slow burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

spudsbuckley posted:

The last episode of this season is going to be David Lynch laughing directly into the camera for 51 minutes solid after opening with:"you loving rubes, you actually sat through 17 episodes of this utter loving garbage" before he announces his retirement 15 seconds from the end.

TVIV will still think it is the greatest thing ever.

You made this same post like 10 times in that thread. I'm glad you found this one.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

spudsbuckley posted:

The last episode of this season is going to be David Lynch laughing directly into the camera for 51 minutes solid after opening with:"you loving rubes, you actually sat through 17 episodes of this utter loving garbage" before he announces his retirement 15 seconds from the end.

Go Back To Let's Play

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

tao of lmao posted:

You made this same post like 10 times in that thread. I'm glad you found this one.

I'm glad one of us is keeping track of my posts because i'm obviously not xoxoxoxo

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

spudsbuckley posted:

Me halfway through this post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za5NcKBYk14&t=42s

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

spudsbuckley posted:

word on the street is that nasally voiced nerds playing video games for you is more your speed daddio

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Wait sorry I meant to say drat good coffee pie wraaaped in plaaastic I love joss whedon callbacks and catchphrases and stasis forever!!!!

dang I wish I was as cool as you

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

hawowanlawow posted:

dang I wish I was as cool as you

Me too.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

word on the street is that nasally voiced nerds playing video games for you is more your speed daddio

Please don't disparage Lowtax in this manner.

I mean, he's no David Lynch, insofar as his videos have stuff actually happening in them.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

spudsbuckley posted:

I mean, he's no David Lynch, insofar as his videos have stuff actually happening in them.

i like gaming garbage actually but that's more in the MST3K spirit than a true LP thing. you're just dissing an amazing show like a dumbass idiot and i wish you'd shape up buddy

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Twelve Batmans posted:

He is clearly coming back bit by tiny bit. The coffee, the lie-detecting, the case-files etc.

People really need to learn to appreciate the slow burn.
I appreciate stuff that takes it's time but I don't need a lingering shot of coop sniffing a statue for 5 minutes. I get it, he's a tabula rasa and experiencing the world in some kind of innocent meditation but I got the hang of it 2 hours ago.
this would more forgivable if the show was actually shot in a not intentionally dull manner. I don't understand what lynch is trying to convey with his pacing, framing, and lighting, but it makes for an awful viewing experience. maybe he's doing it to really spite people and I fell for it.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Don't try to watch 2001 or any other Kubrick movie really. Maybe incredibly talented directors just aren't your "thang?"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

im glad david lynch does his own thing and doesn't really care about other people's intuition about his art

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I'm Bob/Cooper - ahem Booper's mad phone phreaking skills in the prison.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

I don't really begrudge anybody who doesn't have the patience for David Lynch, but if people who were into Twin Peaks to begin with don't like this, I'm not sure what they were looking for.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Don't try to watch 2001 or any other Kubrick movie really. Maybe incredibly talented directors just aren't your "thang?"

I just want to clarify that I was mocking you personally for your extremely nerdy combativeness and not the show

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

is nerdy combativeness the same thing as someone taking their bitching and moaning about nerds complaining too much to two threads at the same time

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

basic hitler posted:

is nerdy combativeness the same thing as someone taking their bitching and moaning about nerds complaining too much to two threads at the same time

nah

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

spudsbuckley posted:

ban this bitch! twin peaks ftw

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

I just want to clarify that I was mocking you personally for your extremely nerdy combativeness and not the show

I wasn't talking to you, don't be creepy.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I pray all the david lynch haters have two weeks of dreams about the squirting chicken from Eraserhead ejecting juice into their mouths

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
complaining about a slow episode was enough to get this thread moving more than it has in the past week because a bunch of cultists cant take anyone insulting their willfully obtuse grandpa director lol

And all it took was to follow the trail of drool that led back to the tviv thread where all the usual suspects were firmly ensconced on Lynch's balls

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I can watch that stuff because it's visually grabbing me. but the intentional flatness of twin peaks season 3 with the dreadful slowness in silence isn't even uncomfortable, because uncomfortable would even be engaging. it's flat out boring.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the tviv thread is a pretty casual conversation except when people show up to whine, some weird fuckers trying to be SMG quoting Marx and Zizek in their episode analysis or w/e excepted but nobody is really engaging that.

I just think yall are mad that anyone might enjoy this because you can't or can't be bothered to try and get the show and it's not for you that's okay but i sincerely hope a chicken jizzes on your face in your dreams tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNMAgq-oSrw

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

basic hitler posted:

I just think yall are mad that anyone might enjoy this because you can't or can't be bothered to try and get the show and it's not for you that's okay but i sincerely hope a chicken jizzes on your face in your dreams tonight.

Yeah it's crazy to think that

it's good but like all Lynch there are parts that are pretty drat slow

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

But the slowness creates a pleasant zen like state (or creeping dread) so I don't see the downside?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Lynch is really good at that, with the shots of the ceiling fan / staircase in Laura Palmer's house in the old seasons and the movie, or the shot of the gazebo from the bushes in season 1. Those really weren't held that long, though.

I'm not saying all the still quiet shots are too long or slow. The shot of evil Cooper waiting in the front room of the cabin was good. Same with the light in Argentina, which is very similar to the light at the corral in Mulholland drive. I liked the shots of the cameras in the glass box room, but the shots of the dude starting forward didn't spook me.

I didn't really feel dread with the long shots of Cooper at the statue, either. I think that was more an attempt at comedy that didn't land for me. The long pauses and sighs with the detectives in SD was neat a couple of times, but now every line is punctuated by it.

And of course the classic front hood shot of evil Cooper driving through the woods ruled. If you haven't seen the video for lykke li lynch directed you should check it out

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rasta_Al posted:

complaining about a slow episode was enough to get this thread moving more than it has in the past week because a bunch of cultists cant take anyone insulting their willfully obtuse grandpa director lol

And all it took was to follow the trail of drool that led back to the tviv thread where all the usual suspects were firmly ensconced on Lynch's balls

Uh, excuse me the 20 odd minutes of DougieCooper not knowing how to do simple daily tasks in this past episode was pure comedic genius and not at all boring loving nonsense that only utter morons would find even vaguely amusing or entertaining.

Did you not see how he didn't understand what to do? Emmy worthy stuff for sure. I think Lynch is trying to tell us that something has gone awry with this particular character but I reckon I need to see at least 5 more 10 minute long slapstick scenes of him struggling to perform simple tasks to make sure.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
I started watching the first 15 minutes of this reboot and it was like watching a weird student film and it just did not move the needle so I stopped

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

If they wanna inject some comedy just have lynch yell some more or make Lucy and Andy fight

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
* creepy music plays *
* camera zooms in to chair leg for 45 seconds *

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
* 3 foot tall person dances to jazz music as the camera pans to checkered floor *

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ROFLburger posted:

* creepy music plays *
* camera zooms in to chair leg for 45 seconds *

*TVIV thread gets two pages worth of posts about how there was a chair leg shown briefly in this one scene in Inland Empire and a character in the original season of Twin Peaks sat down one time *

*someone posts a couple of thousand words worth of fanfic masquerading as analysis *

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The common mistake at both extremes of this argument is thinking Lynch does everything for a reason beyond thinking it looked or sounded interesting

Sometimes it is interesting and sometimes it isn't. he has said it's a collection of ideas strung together, and there's stuff in fwwm that was cut from other projects, and who knows which they are. I like the good parts

The only Lynch movie I liked from start to finish is blue velvet, but even Mulholland drive and lost highway are more interesting to watch than garbo superhero movies and poo poo

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Does the new season have a middle aged woman terribly disguised as an old chinese dude and fooling everyone?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

spudsbuckley posted:

*TVIV thread gets two pages worth of posts about how there was a chair leg shown briefly in this one scene in Inland Empire and a character in the original season of Twin Peaks sat down one time *

*someone posts a couple of thousand words worth of fanfic masquerading as analysis *

Why are you even watching this show again? Seems like a waste of your time.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

for me there's still little nuggets in there and I'm waiting it out for something cool like more glass-box monster poo poo

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Mordja posted:

Why are you even watching this show again? Seems like a waste of your time.

Seriously, that's what I find frustrating. And that frustration is at least 50% jealousy. I wish I had time to watch poo poo I don't like, much less have time to post about not liking it.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

cooper wants new shoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Free Cheese posted:

Does the new season have a middle aged woman terribly disguised as an old chinese dude and fooling everyone?

uh I'll have you know she was disguised as an old japanese dude you racist

• Locked thread