Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

scott zoloft posted:

who owned the building in the beginning and what were they doing? was coop or something else expected to emerge there?
Bad Cooper or an associate of his owned the building (implied by the photo of him talking to someone wearing a big coat in the box room). I'm guessing that it was intended to manifest the female figure which did indeed appear inside the box, but (perhaps?) failed at totally bringing her into the world, as she doesn't turn up after killing Sam and Tracy, outside of the vomit scene. I don't think it was intended to trap Cooper, otherwise (I assume) Bad Cooper would have arranged some means for him to be killed upon appearing in the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

blainestereo posted:

Got to admit, Agent Cooper reading the "Dear Richard" letter made me a-lol.

I knew Lynch was a goon

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The one thing that bugs me about s3 is how Judy's horns don't match up with the black symbol. It had me convinced that they weren't the same thing but the Jiao Dai explanation really makes it fit too well for it not to be.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Neurosis posted:

cooper seemed to have elements of both good and evil cooper. his line delivery and generally fairly distant demeanour were like evil cooper, but he still seemed to care about others, and he seemed dismayed at seeing the corpse in new laura's house and distressingly confused at the end.

i agree on the tone change. episode 17 seemed way too cheesy and fluffy a way to tie things up, then the jarring change in 18 re-established the feelings of horror.

Yeah the feeling of dread throughout that entire episode was honestly discomfiting. While I can't pretend that the final episode left me happy and satisfied, it was definitely affecting in a way most media rarely accomplishes. I'll be thinking about it for a good long time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Some interesting things about 18:

The woman who owned the house is the real life woman who owns that house.

One of the biggest changes in tone is that there's literally no music after that scene.

I feel like the transition there was into the "real" world, or at least world closer to reality than the one we had been shown before.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Vince MechMahon posted:

One of the biggest changes in tone is that there's literally no music after that scene.

I feel like the transition there was into the "real" world, or at least world closer to reality than the one we had been shown before.

Well it even goes down to how the scenes of Coop driving down the streets of Twin Peaks are blocked. Usually we get one establishing exterior shot of a new location and then we're inside where the action is. Here, we see both sides of the real road where the real house is located and shots of the surrounded hills and scenery. The drive past the Double R and to the "Palmer house" is totally unfamiliar, we're seeing parts of the town we've never seen before and it's just the shooting location of the show, stripped bare of artifice and pretense. I could be misremembering, but I seem to recall a lot more diagetic sound post-hotel scene. Like you can hear traffic and horns and real world noises, as if they were left on the soundtrack unfiltered.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Vince MechMahon posted:

I know what you're saying about it looking more "real" (I think that Valero station is the first real-world business we've ever seen on the show), but when Laura screams and the lights burn out, it feels a lot like she's shattered some sort of illusion, like she's broken the world they're in.

Maybe they're in our world, but in the reality of Twin Peaks maybe our world is fictional.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
*spoilers/discussion below?*

Episode 17 was the proper "ending" to the series. Cooper even says (to Diane, with Gordon Cole present), "See you at the curtain call," meaning "the show's nearly over, and the next time we meet it'll be to take our bows before the audience." It's a very meta, self-aware line to use.

Episode 18 was the epilogue, and it explains how the third Laura Palmer ("old Laura") also gets trapped in the Black Lodge, despite the best efforts of Agent Cooper to keep her safe. In this episode, Cooper meets with Diane as he's exiting the the Black Lodge through its red curtains. THIS is the curtain call he was referring to in the prior episode, however Gordon Cole is conspicuously absent from this meeting. By this point, the show was already over and done with. Goodness had prevailed, Dougie would be returned to his family, everything had fallen roughly into place according to a divine Lynchian will of sorts - everything except for the matter of Cooper's attempted intervention of Laura's death from the episode prior. From a room within the Black Lodge, the Arm asks Cooper, "Is it the story of the little girl who lived down the lane? Is it?" Everything beyond that point is Cooper being an unwitting agent, forced into tying up all the loose ends with the Laura-that-got-away so that Laura Palmer's original fate would be sealed.

Wild Bonus *extra credit* Theory: Episode 18 explains how :spooky:A version of Laura was brought back through time to become her own mother.:spooky:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

17 is the Frost ending, 18 is the Lynch ending

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

So... Audrey with Charlie had to be a tulpa, right? She kept freaking out and feeling like she wasn't herself, both things implied to have happened to the Dougie and Diane tulpas made by Bad Coop, and there was another version of her somewhere else, probably the real version in some etheric place like the purple box or wherever Naido-Diane was hanging around. She didn't say "What?" backwards, but it does seem that there are supernatural places where backwards speech isn't the norm (c.f. Mike telling Coop the "Fire walk with me" poem in the black room beyond the Great Northern in normal, forwards speech).

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

so who won?

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Sekenr posted:

so who won?

the audience :)

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Vince MechMahon posted:

Well that explains the terrible acting

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Vince MechMahon posted:

That's pretty much this guy's theory:

https://ozba.wordpress.com/2017/08/31/twin-peaks-audrey-billy-and-living-inside-a-dream/

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

this seems reasonable. i also like that he distinguishes between the twin peaks reality and our reality - it explains why laura would be hearing echoes from that reality, and nicely explains audrey (though audrey isn't quite right either - no one in the 'real' world would play 'Audrey's Dance' and i presume in the real world she's not married to a weird small man; there could be three layers going on there, with some being audrey's hallucinations informed by the real world, flashes of the real, and twin peaks as her basic reality in which she physically exists, but that's getting a bit elaborate). it would also mean the characters could go back there and it would have some weight rather than just 'oh they're all just figments and it's what's real and miserably depressing here that matters'.

there are maybe some things that don't quite get explained with this. like why the inhabitants of the house are tied to black lodge spirits, if everything else becomes 'real'. also does judy have a threat to the real world, or is over-explaining only a threat to our dreams? and does this mean that dude's corpse in real-laura's house didn't have any garmonbozia on it or black lodge orb coming out of it?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
also i am reminded of reading m john harrison's viriconium books where our real world began to leak into the weird far future fantasy world more and more with the general theme being this is what really matters. not the same message but nonetheless...

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

Coop and Dianne's new names should have been Kyle McLaughlin and Laura Dern, and they track down Gordon Cole and he's David Lynch, film director.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

General Dog posted:

and they track down Gordon Cole and he's David Lynch, film director.

and he's still yelling / deaf

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Confession time: the only bit of fan service I wanted but didn't get was some kind of nod to the bookhouse boys. I really liked Truman's explanation in S1 that there's this informal group that knows poo poo is hosed up and push back as best they can, and this group has existed for a long time. It fits the themes of aging and loss that this group wouldn't be around, but I still missed it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Confession time: the only bit of fan service I wanted but didn't get was some kind of nod to the bookhouse boys. I really liked Truman's explanation in S1 that there's this informal group that knows poo poo is hosed up and push back as best they can, and this group has existed for a long time. It fits the themes of aging and loss that this group wouldn't be around, but I still missed it.

I dunno, Hawk, Andy, Bobby and Frank on the hunt for the Jackrabbit Palace was as Bookhouse as this show has ever gotten. More so due to the lack of Cooper, I think.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Bobby made a great addition to the boys and I'm glad he's come such a long way from barking in a holding cell.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

General Dog posted:

Coop and Dianne's new names should have been Kyle McLaughlin and Laura Dern, and they track down Gordon Cole and he's David Lynch, film director.

Then Lynch spends 20 minutes showing them how to cook quinoa.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I dunno, Hawk, Andy, Bobby and Frank on the hunt for the Jackrabbit Palace was as Bookhouse as this show has ever gotten. More so due to the lack of Cooper, I think.

I don't disagree but the reason my sentiment falls into the "confession" category is that the basic bitch part of my brain wants them to say the phrase "bookhouse boys" and have the patches and all the shameful poo poo. That same part of my brain wanted Max to get the interceptor back in Fury Road. That part of my brain is always wrong.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Then Lynch spends 20 minutes showing them how to cook quinoa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIcvTluLb2w

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

lmao

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The show was good. Is good.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

lol

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

man nurse posted:

Holy poo poo what a loving trash fire this season was. Just god drat.

Like, what a waste.

you are child

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
No explanation of what happened to Heather Graham.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

General Dog posted:

I'm late to this party but it seems not unreasonable to read the final sequence as Richard/Dale being a stand-in for Lynch, Carrie/Laura a stand-in for well, Laura and the cast as a whole, and homeowner Alice/Mary representing the audience. Lynch returns triumphant to the TV audience, only to find there is no place for Twin Peaks anymore; perhaps there never was. The director wonders about the year as the cast, haunted by performances past, scream.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i did some catching up and mainlined this over two days and i gotta say its some drat fine tv

an appropriate ending aptly telling you to gently caress off back to your own life

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
can we get a death toll on how many actors died making this show???

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Booty Pageant posted:

can we get a death toll on how many actors died making this show???

three by my count. ;(

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

does david bowie count if he was scheduled to appear

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Also Warren Frost (the doctor) (not Dr. Jacoby, the other doctor)

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

The guy who played BOB died too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It was a fantastic season and I look forward to never watching it again just like the majority of season 2.

• Locked thread