Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I'm halfway through the pilot, S1,E1. This sucks so far, when does it get good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

The Dennis System posted:

For the first 20 minutes or half hour of the episode, when lynch was showing us the nuke explosion from the outside and then showing us all kinds of crazy stuff happening inside of it on a tiny or even microscopic scale, and then showing stuff happening somewhere else in the universe on a very macroscopic scale, you got the idea of an interconnectedness of everything in the universe from the smallest scale to the largest and also to some sort of metaphysical or supernatural plane where something unimaginably complicated is triggered that will affect all of reality. It was pretty cool. But this supernatural plane of existence should be something we can't even begin to imagine because it's so far beyond us. But then lynch shows you this supernatural plane...and it's a woman and man, wearing a dress and a suit sitting on couches and listening to records, in a room with some comically big alarm thing and a big TV. These are the people and this is the supernatural place where all of reality comes together and events on Earth are being directed? What? The first half hour really triggered the imagination. But then the second half hour completely ruined everything. Although I guess lynch showed us this metaphysical plane before, in the episode with the blind woman and Cooper in space. What a terrible supernatural higher reality.

It's a running thing in Lynch's work that the most incomprehensible supernatural or surreal elements are always tied to the most mundane ones.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

a hole-y ghost posted:

Is this actually just a modified version of the Owl Cave logo?

Could be. The Owl Cave logo looks to me like two mountains (the twin peaks) with Glastonbury Grove between. This could be the portal of Glastonbury Grove opened up to be huge.

It also resembles the head of the alien being that spewed out BOB last episode.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Remind me, how long does it take for someone to recover from 25 years in the red room irl

Should be measured in coffee and pie, not time.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

See that's what I thought at first but there's a few weird things about that. First, what kind of institution has IKEA bathroom mirrors in an all white space like that? Second, if the roadhouse in that scene wasn't real, have any of the scenes in the roadhouse been real? If so, which? Third, twin peaks has always had a certain level of unreality but referring to a song by its title on the soundtrack album really is next-level. Like Audrey played that song on a jukebox in S1, if it's all in her head she should know the name of the song, not just call it "Audrey's dance."

I don't usually nitpick at this level but TP is usually airtight on the details. Cooper even refers to Kiefer Sutherland's character by name in the original pilot, waaaay before FWWM was written. Calling it "Audrey's dance" and explicitly alluding to the soundtrack album isn't likely to be an accident.

Even the original scene with Audrey's dance, in the diner, seemed very fourth wall breaking.

• Locked thread